Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Wheelchair Accessable Pattaya?

Was talking to a friend of mine about my plans next year to go to AC. He mentioned that he would love to go. Problem is he's paraplegic and confined to a wheel chair to get around. I told him that I'd like to also go to back to Pattaya for a few days also, which he agreed he'd like that also. How accessable is Pattay bars,resturants, and hotels to handi-capped individuals? I know that's probably not something anyone thinks about, I didn't at all until I asked him over to dinner and he told me that he'd have to pass because he probably couldn't get into the house and/or the bathroom. I realize that the bathroom issue will be one of the biggest problems for him if he comes with me, just wondering how many more.

Obviously it will be difficult 2 find somewhere with the facilities he needs. It would be OK to get along the beach road as its been flagged and like a promenade, but Pattaya does lag behind when it comes to disabled access. Your friend obviously needs a hotel with a lift, and a pretty big room with "wider" doors, i.e toilets etc. I would suggest that you book a more upmarket place and spend a bit more money on the service. Pattaya is a great city with great people, i have seen people there in wheelchairs before and have had a great time, but as to where they stayed i don,t know. As for the bars, the majority are on ground level, including the GO-GOs, many bars are open aired and all the girls, people are really friendly, so your friend will be welcomed with open arms. Getting around should be no problem, just watch out for the speed of traffic and the hoards of tourists who stop in the middle of the footpaths and stare at souvenirs blocking your way!!!!. I hope you & your friend have a great time in Pattaya. I wish him well, anymore advice you need just get in touch, the lads & myself on the forum will do our best for you. Chok Dee, Shane, Wales, UK :rolleyes: :eyecrazy

Hi Map

To answer honestly, I have never accompanied anybody wheelchair-bound to Pattaya or anywhere else in Thailand for that matter.

Notwithstanding, my Mother has been confined to a wheelchair for many years as an MS Sufferer.

Myself, my Father and my Wife have accompanied her on many trips to a number of countries including Europe, the Carribean and the US (which I have to say was by far the best equipped).

Without fail, on every trip we encountered many unforseen and sometimes stressful problems.

It would be true to say that I have never looked at Pattaya through the eyes of somebody that is physically handicapped or those tasked with fulfilling the role of Carer but given my experience in other countries, I am bound to say that Thailand is way behind those that I have visited.

However, I do not wish to sound negative. Much will depend on the determination and stamina of your friend.

As Shane suggests, hotel accommodation should be relatively easy to solve. Further, he will receive a warm welcome from the people that he meets.

It may be worth dropping a line to the Thailand Tourist People to see what help/advice they may be in a position to offer. In addition, it is worth looking at package holiday company brochures to see what they say as they usually give a fair and accurate indication with regards to suitability of particular resorts for those that are physically handicapped.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Regards

PSP

Thanks for the quick reply. Right now the trip to Pattay is just more of a thought. We are going to Angeles City...have family there from my wife's side and I know the area/language much better. I posted the same question over on AC2 and got a few responses, the best one from someone wheelchair bound that travels there. He stated that he was able to get a Filipino to help him get around and transfer him when needed for a decent price per week. I'd imagine that it will be easy to do the same thing in Thailand/Pattay. I'm more leary of going that route in Thailand only because I don't know the area/people/lanquage. First impression of my night in Pattay was that It wouldn't be a problem at all either. The nice thing about the trip to Angeles City is that I have some brother-in-laws/nephews that would gladly help for the money he'd pay and it still wouldn't set him back at all. I'd imagine gettting to Pattaya would present some hurdles. This trip is about a year away in planning so I have plenty of time to research forums and get more answers. I've also got another brother-in-law that spent alot of time in Thailand...may even drag him along to keep me in line.

Thanks again for the quick response.

We have a regular customer at FLB who is wheel chair bound.

On his first few trips to Thailand he brought someone with him to help him get around but now that he knows the lay of the land he travels alone.

Pattaya is not very wheel chair friendly BUT there are always people around who are willing to help. The girls seem to quite like hooking up with disabled people and can also act as general assistants to the process of getting around.

I imagine it would be quite a brave move but if your friend makes it here I am sure he will have a great time.

hi just a word about wheelchair access I read about a hotel in the hotel review section that had some dedicated rooms for the disabled with all the usual facillaties I cant remember where it was but i think it was out of town in jontiem but a search through the reviews may prove useful hope you get there as its great for all us blokes

ps im arthritic and use a stick

• 2 weeks later...

I think Pete was talking about me :-)

I am wheelchair bound and a regular customer of FLB. It's true that the first time I went to Thailand, I went with a friend but after I got to know the situation in Pattaya I was confident enough to travel by myself.

I have to say that Pattaya is not that bad for somebody in a wheelchair.

I will try to explain it :

- most shoppingmalls are perfectly accessable for wheelchairs. There are ramps, elevators etc.

- getting around is easy and cheap. Bathbusses can be hired and you can sit next to the driver with the wheelchair in the back of the bus.

- there are plenty hotels accessable for a wheelchair. My favourite is the Sabailodge in soi 2. If you mention the wheelchair when you make the booking, they will do everything to help you.

- girls are very confortable to be with a handicapped person. They are really doing everything to help you end are not only sexpartners but also personal assistants as well. Before I even deducted the costs for a bargirls from my taxes. My hotel wrote a bill for me so it was possible :-)

I think your friend wil have a great time when coming to Pattaya,

Eddy

I've seen a number of wheelchair bound people in Pattaya either on their own or with carers and in both motorised and non motorised wheerchairs. The paths (sidewalks) are very poor in many places but as was stated above, Beach Road has been paved so it should be possible to traverse.

I second the statement from Eddy that the Thai girls go out of their way to assist anyone with any disability. I think it is in their nature and make up and they seem to enjoy making a fuss over someone.

You are right that something such as going to the toilet may prove a difficult proposition in some places. Perhaps an upfront recce by yourself or hopefully some of the board members here could highlight places that are wheelchair friendly or which offer facilities for the disabled.

As for hotels, I suspect that the higher upmarket you go, the more facilities and services will be available. As I am a Marriott member, I took the liberty to contact them, asking about their hotel in Pattaya. They suggested that you contact the hotel directly and I would suggest asking for a reduced rate, certainly for a carer's room if required. Should you require it, the Pattaya Marriott Resort & Spa telephone number is +66 38 41 21 20 and their email address is pattayamarriott@minornet.com The hotel website is http://marriott.com/property/propertyPage/PYXMC

I think it's possible to find a midd class hotel accessable for wheelchairs. Like I already said, Sabailodge is very accessable and the price is about 850 Baht per day. Last September 4 people in a wheelchair stayed there, including me.

http://www.sabailodge.com

Sunshine Vista at soi 3 also has a few special rooms for wheelchairs but I cancelled the booking due to a building site next door. But when the building is finished, this hotel could be great as well. I think it's in the same price range as Sabailodge.

http://www.sunshinevista.com

mapanggulo.......I don't know what your friend can do and what he can't. But for me the bathroom is also the main problem. If I can reach the toilet with my wheelchair, It's OK for me. I usually take a shower by putting a plastic chair ( provided by the hotel ) in the shower. But this is a very individuel issue and depends on the Physical situation of your friend. Most paralized people with full power in their arms just sit in the bathtub and shower.

Eddy

Hi Mapanggulo

Wheel chairs in Pattaya are not a rare sight at all, I can remember seeing a young western male in a wheel chair holding onto the seat of a motocycle taxi being pulled along Beach road one night. He was obviously on his own and having a great holiday and as the previous post say, Thai people are helpful and friendly.

With a little pre holiday research on accomodation your friend will have a great time.

Cheers Malzy