Air Carrier of Choice ?

i have flown:

singapore-great and good drinks!!

cathay pacific-costs more but i like the club in hong kong

jal-love the service but too long connections

eva-ugh

korean air-ugh ugh

american-ugh typical terrible service

my favorite is cathay pacific, cost more but good connections and great service.

and i only have 81 days yo go

:cussing :nod

Big Smile:

Please enlighten me regard Star Alliance. In the past I have been told by them that you have to desiginate a particular carrier when you are checking in at the counter, the air carrier of your choice, for the miles to go to.

At first, I though SA was like a bank, that you could accumulate your air miles for any of their partners then use member carrier of your choice for later on.

I had been told by both SA, and whatever member carrier that I was flying with that I had to specify a particular airline.

So, if I was misinformed on more than one occassion, of if this is a recent change with SA, please inform me.

Rockin' Jerry

i have flown:

singapore-great and good drinks!!

cathay pacific-costs more but i like the club in hong kong

jal-love the service but too long connections

eva-ugh

korean air-ugh ugh

american-ugh typical terrible service

my favorite is cathay pacific, cost more but good connections and great service.

and i only have 81 days yo go

:cussing  :nod

That is interesting... I thought that Singapore was considered to be the best overall airline. I've flown them both also, and I really like Cathay Pacific, but I would have to give the edge to Singapore.

Regards

Big Smile:

Please enlighten me regard Star Alliance. In the past I have been told by them that you have to desiginate a particular carrier when you are checking in at the counter, the air carrier of your choice, for the miles to go to.

At first, I though SA was like a bank, that you could accumulate your air miles for any of their partners then use member carrier of your choice for later on.

I had been told by both SA, and whatever member carrier that I was flying with that I had to specify a particular airline.

So, if I was misinformed on more than one occassion, of if this is a recent change with SA, please inform me.

Rockin' Jerry

Rockin' Jerry:

Yes, you need to designate the airline where the miles are to be "banked" at time of check-in (usually by showing your FF card for that airline). But all of the SA members have a "banking network" where you can use your miles banked at one partner (your home branch) to purchase tickets from any of the members (other branches). Likewise, you earn miles to your account from any of the partner carriers.

So even though I keep all of my FF miles with one carrier, I earn them from several SA carriers and can still use them to book flights on any of the SA carriers. Ironically, most of the miles that I have accumulated have been from flights on SA partner airlines, not the airline that holds my "home" account.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you still have questions on it.

BigSmile

BigSmile:

If I understand correctly, I can use my FF miles accumulated on all Star Alliance carriers, but with one particular SA carrier?

In otherwords, I have FF miles with several SA carriers, but not enough with any one partner carrier to use then on their particular airline. You are saying that, for example, I want to book on Thai Air. I use my miles with them, then inform them that I have X number of FF miles on their partners United, Air New Zealnd, Singapore, etc, and give them my FF number for those carries, and Thai will honor and deduct and use those miles for my Thai flight?

Hope not too confusing to answer?

Thanks,

Rockin' Jerry

Got tickets in today's mail :nod . Finally got Thai on the phone for a pre assigned seat for that NRT - BKK leg. Did I read somewhere in the thread that you have to clear customs when making connections in NRT enroute to BKK? Whats with that?

Got tickets in today's mail :nod . Finally got Thai on the phone for a pre assigned seat for that NRT - BKK leg. Did I read somewhere in the thread that you have to clear customs when making connections in NRT enroute to BKK? Whats with that?

You don't have to clear customs but you do have to go thru security checkpoint before arriving in the departure area.

cheers

kj

BigSmile:

If I understand correctly, I can use my FF miles accumulated on all Star Alliance carriers, but with one particular SA carrier?

In otherwords, I have FF miles with several SA carriers, but not enough with any one partner carrier to use then on their particular airline. You are saying that, for example, I want to book on Thai Air. I use my miles with them, then inform them that I have X number of FF miles on their partners United, Air New Zealnd, Singapore, etc, and give them my FF number for those carries, and Thai will honor and deduct and use those miles for my Thai flight?

Hope not too confusing to answer?

Thanks,

Rockin' Jerry

Rockin' Jerry:

I'm not sure, but I doubt that you can pool different FF accounts from different carriers even though they are SA partners. You need to choose one of them for your "home account" and then make sure that they all deposit to that account in future travels. Since I live in the US, I use United Mielage Plus for my "home account" as I am more likely to take United for domestic trips that can add to my FF balance as opposed to say Thai or Singapore Airlines which are good for international travel only (they don't fly domestic routes in the US). However, I can accrue FF miles from Thai or Singapore Airways international flights to my United account and use both domestically and internationally accrued FF miles from any of the SA partners to purchase tickets on any of the SA partners through United. You would have to check with Star Alliance or the partner airlines to see if it is possible to pool old FF miles distributed across the carriers to your "home account". My sense is that they will say "no", but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Bigsmile

BigSmile:

Thanks. Got it. Yep, there is no "pool account." I realize that you have to designate what SA partner carrier you want the miles to go to. I thhink that is what I said, or was trying to say originally? Who knows, maybe too many beers?Must have been on a different page at that time? But, what you just stated is how I also understand it.

No matter what SA airline I book, I can designate to my "home carrier." And, that is what I have done in the past.

Thanks.

United is the one. Just got another double miles offer. That meansw that my next trip to LOS will earn me 49k FF miles. Combined with my other travel this spring I will have another 90k ff miles by may 1. and that means biz class on sinapore for my july trip. 1luv :D

United is the one. Just got another double miles offer. That meansw that my next trip to LOS will earn me 49k FF miles. Combined with my other travel this spring I will have another 90k ff miles by may 1. and that means biz class on sinapore for my july trip. B) :lol:

Did you spot that double miles offer on their website? I'm premier executive and I haven't received any email offers from them recently.

Emil

Thai Air for me

The flight i take leaves LAX at 11 am

arrives LOS at 11 pm next nite

stop in Narita, off plane (sometimes with, some w/o carryons), back on 1 hour

No bagage check, on Suk by midnite

sometimes have a regular meet me

Some good emergency row seats NOT by the shitter

Great food

Cute staff

I have the Royal Orchid Gold pass

good for the lounges ( many other airlines allow access in us of a)

2 biz class upgrades a year

Liked EVA, evergreen delux, but am stacking miles on TG

Xmas/NY got a last min flight for $1000usd

just booked for 29 Jan - $700

i use a consolidator in LA, GREAT svc, usually books my air, hotel, and tranfers

Thai Air for me

The flight i take leaves LAX at 11 am

arrives LOS at 11 pm next nite

stop in Narita, off plane (sometimes with, some w/o carryons), back on 1 hour

No bagage check, on Suk by midnite

sometimes have a regular meet me

You LA chaps are lucky, I'd love to fly Thai airways but they don't operate from SFO. If you book Thai airways from SFO you'll get a code share flight with United to Narita or a code share with United to LAX first , then Thai .

My airline of choice for the last 3 years has been Cathay Pacific. Excellent airport staff, good food, video monitors in every seat, Outstanding Hong Kong lounges, good connection/arrival times and an attractive aircraft staff.

Deleted,

I must say that I am surprised that you would prefer Thai over Cathay Pacific, unless it is because of the arrival time in LOS, or the stopover in Narita. From what I have read about Cathay, they are top notch, and perhaps a cut above Thai. I have access to LAX, and I was thinking about using Singapore on my next trip via Taipei. (Ah... those Singapore girls) But I suppose it is hard to go wrong with either Thai or Cathay Pacific.

Regards

Deleted,

I must say that I am surprised that you would prefer Thai over Cathay Pacific, unless it is because of the arrival time in LOS, or the stopover in Narita.  From what I have read about Cathay, they are top notch, and perhaps a cut above Thai.  I have access to LAX, and I was thinking about using Singapore on my next trip via Taipei.  (Ah... those Singapore girls) But I suppose it is hard to go wrong with either Thai or Cathay Pacific.

Regards

Yeah...Cathay has always been great to me , I guess since I've flown the same carrier for the last 3 years I'm favoring a change and since I love Thailand so much I thought I might try the national carrier. Also , the Thai flight is a direct flight , it stops at Narita but no worries about connections, you just re-board the same aircraft . I remember one time on Cathay from SFO the headwinds where so great we had to stop in Taipei for fuel and I ended up missing my connection in Hong Kong. Cathay just put me on the next flight to Bangkok 5 hours later but it's stressful when your flight is late and you may miss the connection. Singapore would be nice but I thought they stopped at Hong Kong, then Singapore, then sort of a backtrack to Bangkok. Seems like on Singapore you'd be flying longer than you have to.

Deleted,

One time I actually purchased my SFO-HKG leg on Singapore, and then, to make the better connection, I purchased the HKG-BKK leg on Cathay Pacific. I was happy with both, but Singapore was a standout.

Regards

Seating : Cathay Pacific

F/A's : Thai Airways

Food : United

Worst : NWA { F/A's are such bitches}

Amenities : Cathay Pacific

Luxury: Singapore Airlines

I'm trying EVA for the first time, hope all goes well.....

on the first tour I flew Malaysia first class which had great service, but too many stops lax-tpe-kul-bkk ughhh! the second tour was China with a $590.00rt economy ticket. cheap, only 1 stop lax-tpe-bkk, crap food and standard unfriendly service.