Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

International GSM Sim Card

I was doing a little surfing on the web when I came across this article on International GSM Sim Card by MOBAL

Does anyone have any experience with this company and it's Sim Card?

I read the information and it sounds good on paper - You need to have a unlocked Tri-Band cell to make this work. (I already have a unlocked Tri-Band)

Any first hand experience or additional info would be greatly appreciated.

I guess - I should have been a little bit more specific - My buddy needs a number to give to his wife for Emergency Purposes. He does not want her to know that he is in Thailand having a great time. With Mobal, I believe that the country code assigned is 44, UK based number

What it comes down to, he needs to find a way to receive calls without her knowing where he is actually located>

Thanks

BobSJ

Thanks; I checked some international call prices, they seem to be way over top!

To get such a card only for travelling (might save a few cents here and there as opposed to your contract) would mean the trouble of a new number to give around.

Really wonder who would benefit from this offer?

Sunny

Bob, if you just plan to go to Thailand and need a phone, you are so much better off with a local prepaid card you get everywhere here. Need an unlocked phone as well, can get yours onlocked for 300 Bt or so, or buy new or used one from 1500Bt up.

Sunny

I will check when I get home but i think I have a mobal sim card from hong kong. The upside is that your number is connected no matter what country you are in. i.e it works in UK US THIA PI etc etc. As a result anyone calling my hong kong number will be connected to me. The downside is that since it is a hong kong numkber I can only call Honk Kong numbers unless I am in my home calling area i.e Hong Kong. I think mobal's thai sim works the same. I.e. anyone calling yoiur thai number would be connected to you no matter where you are. But once you are outside of thai land you can only call thia numbers. :D :grin-jump

Thanks, Cowboy.

On the Web site they mention giving you a UK number. And from the price list (checked a few countries) they alway mention national (i.e. insider the country you're in) and international calls. So from this info no reason to believe that you cannot call from say Thailand to say Madagascar with this card.

But for a price!

Don't know about the deals in the USA, but most contracts in Europe allow you to be reached under your home number everywhere in the world. And international prices, though steep sometimes, look still cheaper than MOBAL's.

The only advante for MOBAL I see is it does not have a monthly fee, though.

Sunny

I have a thai sim card as well. It is 1 2 call and only works in Thai. The cost to call US or Uk when dailing 009 1+ the numebr was 7 baht a minute. Pretty cheap really. I have t-mobile under contract in US. It works in thailand but the cost is 60baht a minute and they charge for incoming calls even if I don't answer. So 10 calls unanswered with the phone off coast 600 baht. I just take the sim out of the phone the minute I leave Us soil. doesn't work in Japan. the sim I bought in HKG works in Japan. I will try to find the name of the service. In the us it boots up as AT&T wireless. I will have to find the original package. The price for the sim was FREE. Bought 180hk dollars in time sim cars came with it. :nod