Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Info on Korean Ailines?

Am trying to book my next RT to LOS. Usually use NWA. Last trip was $845. Now they want $1255.

I know the airlines are hurting, but......

I can get Korean Airlines RT for $1078. Still more, but a better deal. Direct flight from Dulles Washington to Seoul. Cuts out one plane change. Times are OK.

I have never flown KAL. Any advice, experience?

Thanks for the help!

Roy

If you are going this summer after May that is probably as good a price as any. You can check www.angeltravel.com I got a American Airlines/JAL at the end of May weekend travel for about the same price.

I've made 2 trips to LOS on Korean Air from Los Angeles and loved it. Thanks to them I am now unashamedly addicted to Korean food. And yes, even kimchi! The food was excellent, even back there in Oppressed Class, and the cabin crew was always very courteous and gracious. I have yet to fly Thai Airways or Singapore Airlines (#1 rated airline in the world, I believe), but I have nothing but good things to say about Korean Air. :D

Mescalito...many thanks! How about the Seoul airport? Any problems when you change planes?

Based on your recommendations, I am considering using them. Will wait a few days to see if there are any more comments.

Roy

Of 25 trips to LOS at least 15 of them were on Korean SFO-BKK I am a big fan really like the service and your Korean and NWA miles are all in one as NWA joined Skyteam last year.

That's good new, Soi 7. I have MANY miles built up on the NWA FF program.

How about the Seoul Aiport?

Anybody have info?

Roy

Have flown them twice coming back to the States out of BKK. I find them to be very good service-wise and the planes are about as comfortable as any other 777 economy class, better than some.

Inchon Airport is very modern and easy to get around. If you arrive there in daylight, the views of Korea from the air are excellent.

Inchon Airport is very modern and easy to get around. If you arrive there in daylight, the views of Korea from the air are excellent.

This is correct the airport is ultra modern very nice and clean and easy to get around upstairs near the transit hotel they have free internet as well.

Roy,

I agree with the above posters. In 2004; Korean Air (KE) was rated as a 4 star airline by skytrax, and NWA was rated a 3 star airline. Assuming you are flying in economy you will a couple extra inches of legroom. Unless there has been a major change in the last few months the food and service should be very good.

You will actually be flying into the Seoul Incheon Airport(ICN). The airport is located on an semi-manmade island in the East (China) Sea a few miles offshore. The airport is less than 5 years and is quite modern with many shops eateries and other distractions.

For transit procedures check the following URL: http://www.airport.or.kr/Eng/guide/change/change.jsp

For general INC info check the following URL:

http://www.airport.or.kr/Eng/home.jsp

I'll be in town in 1st week of June for about 10 days (give or take a day).

See ya.

Bill

Just an afterthought to my last post:

If it is more convenient you could fly to JFK and on to BKK with both flights being nonstop for $1088. Your routing would be via Independence Air nonstop between Washington Dulles (IAD) round trip and New York (JFK) with connections with Thai Airways non stop between JFK and BKK round trip.

Advantages: a short trip to JFK and then a nonstop flight to BKK (Lot of time for sleep) and once you will arrive in BKK at around 4:00 in the afternoon you should arrive in Pattaya in time for all of the evening activities.

Disadvantages: You have to purchase a round trip ticket from each airline. You will have to re-check your bags in New York (although not too much hassle as both airlines operate out of JFK Terminal 4).

Proposed itinerary:

IAD-JFK Depart: 7:00 AM Arrive 8:30 AM Flight 1072

JFK-BKK Depart: 12:00 PM Arrive 4:10 PM +1(day) Flight 791

BKK-JFK Depart: 12:40 AM Arrive 6:35 AM Flight 790

JFK-IAD Depart: 8:40 AM Arrive 9:54 AM Flight 1099

Mescalito...many thanks!  How about the Seoul airport?  Any problems when you change planes?

Based on your recommendations, I am considering using them.  Will wait a few days to see if there are any more comments.

Roy

Incheon Airport is just outside of Seoul and is a very modern and well-designed facility -- beats the hell out of a lot of other airports I've been to, that's for sure! Depending on how long your layover is, you might want to book yourself a room in the transit hotel that's inside the international terminal. Picture a room at a Hilton or Hyatt, but a lot smaller (since you're only in it for a few hours.) Very comfortable bed, excellent bathroom and shower facilities, flat screen TV, great restaurant immediately adjoining the reception desk, and quiet! Depending on the exchange rate, it's about 45 dollars US for a 6-hour stay, and well worth it if you have a long layover. You can even get a wake-up call from the reception desk so you don't sleep through the departure of your connecting flight.

You guys are amazing! What a wonderful source of information this board is!

I'm going to book the flights. No layover problems as I will arrive at Incheon at 5PM, and the flight to BKK leaves at 8:25 PM. Coming back, the BKK flight arrives in Incheon at 8:30 AM and the flight to Dulles leaves at 10:50 AM. And arrival time at Dulles is 11:30 AM. Outstanding arrival time!

MANY thanks to you all for all the very complete and detailed information. FIVE members have contributed info. And I hope to meet you guys at the FLB. I owe you all.....big time!

Roy

I'll just agree with others have said.

Food is suprisingly good, in-flight entertainment was good too, imo. (The Rundown was showing last time I flew KE).

Flight staff is nice and treats you well for being in Cattle Class.

ICN is a very nice airport, free internet terminals to kill some time between the lay over.

I have tried to convice my friend to take KE over NWA, but he refuses. (he prefers the MSP-NRT-BKK route)

Only thing I can recommend is bring some water to drink, I forgot last time, and had to settle for the little juice cups every 3-4 hours.

I'm curious -- does KE still have the policy of not asssigning seats for passengers in coach class until airport check-in? Historically, this has always been the reason I've avoided them as the prospect of being surprised at the airport with a middle seat for a U.S. - BKK haul has never seemed like the perfect way to start a holiday. Given the reviews here, though, and the generally good, comparative price for KE, I'm wondering if reconsideration is in order.

Pen

Here's my take on KAL.....Have flown them about four times, each time seemed a little better than the past. Now they have a new airport, haven't flown them since they opened the new one, but if it's at least as good as the old one it'll be GREAT. My only complaint about Korea was their schedule, and lo-o-o-o-o-ong layover from LAX to BKK. Other than that.....they're great. One nice touch, dunno if it's the same, if the lay-over was more than three hours KAL provided you with a box lunch, which consisted of a samich, chips, a piece of fruit, and a drink.

I flew once on an upgrade to Bus. Class, (w/miles) and it was abolutely wonderful, compared to NWA economy. (groan). (Nothing.....and I mean NOTHING is as bad as NWA economy). And I've got 105,000 miles with them.....and 25 + thousand with Kal, and wish I could figure some way to use them. I'm just not too sharp.

Don't forget to try Angel travel, or Orbitz, or Travelocity... China, (CI) has some pretty attractive prices right now, and their schedule isn't bad, at least from the west coast to BKK.

If all else fails, ur gonna like KAL.....ErnieK..... (save a tree--eat a beaver).....

And I've got 105,000 miles with them.....and 25 + thousand with Kal, and wish I could figure some way to use them. I'm just not too sharp.

Korean and NWA are both members of SkyTeam so you should be able to get a freebe e on Korean with that much air miles give them a call.