Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

BayBreeze vs. Eastiny review

Hey there,

I would not recommend the Baybreeze. I stayed there one night on April 3rd. I wouldn't call it a dump but it is not very nice at all. Then again, it was only

600bt so, I suppose you get what you pay for. It is off the beaten path

somewhat. About 3-4 blocks or 5 minute walk from Soi 8. The pool was

cloudy and dirty and I wouldn't even dream of swimming in it. The rooms (I

saw two different ones - one in each wing) needed renovation and looked out

over some construction and empty garbage-strewn lots. Even the street it

was on was sort of a dirty side street with a couple small beer bars and

various other small businesses. The lobby was dark and uninviting and the

staff was unfriendly and lazy. The whole vibe of the place sort of brought

me down.

After one night there, I moved to Eastiny on Soi 8. It was 800bt but worth

the 200bt increase. Great pool. Good service, staff, and nice facilities.

Sort of a cheery atmosphere - the exterior was yellow and interior lobby and

rooms fairly well-lit. Although, being right on Soi 8, it was a touch noisy

at night. The A/C fan almost blocked out all the noise though (and, of

course, I was usually fairly shitfaced by bedtime anyway - haha) It was

also very close to the beach road if you like hopping on the bahtbus to

walking street. I would definitely stay there again. Hope this helps.

Wow, someone with a lower opinion of Baybreeze than me! I would agree with this assessment in general tone, but not all the details; I had no problems with the street it was on, I thought the lobby and pool were OK, and I found the staff to be at least average for Pattaya if not better-actually, I thought they were the best attribute the place had, although their attitude seemed to change when I checked out early. However, the rooms were really close to being a dump, and the beds sucked. For the money, I have had better in Pattaya.

Edited by Hippie

I like the Eastiny also. Soi 8 is a bit noisy but I like the location enough to overlook it. Good value for the money.

It is off the beaten path

somewhat.

and looked out

over some construction and empty garbage-strewn lots. Even the street it

various other small businesses. The lobby was dark and uninviting and the

staff was unfriendly and lazy. The whole vibe of the place sort of brought

me down.

TIT :nod

I still like the baybreeze :banghead

Its all about attitude, if you have a bad attitude, you get bad service :beer

Soi Honey Inn is one of my favorite places in the world, I wish there was one where I live.

I don't see anywhere in my post where I mention I had a bad attitude. Do you always make such inane assumptions or are you just hurt that someone dissed your favorite roach hotel?

If I walk up with a smile to a hotel reception desk (especially of that of some shithole of a hotel that is probably running 40% occupancy) and they hardly even look my way or stir from their chairs to help me spend my money on their hotel, then, yes, I would call that laziness and a bad attitude.

On my 12 visits to Pattaya, I have stayed in 7 budget type hotels( including Flipper House and the Queen Vic) but the Bay Breeze has been my main hotel the last 10 trips.

Camus did pick a bad day to check in as the hotel had no water that particular day, the 3rd.

I think it came on again late that night.

Although this problem was a bit of a running joke between me and a couple of the staff, I was generally disappointed in the staff attitude in regard to this problem.

Fortuneately, I was able to shower in my friend's room at the RG before the nights activities.

I'll just count this as a one off and the hotel will continue to be my number one choice.

For me, it's ideally placed in Central Pattaya. It's only a few mins walk to Soi7/8 area in the north and about 12 mins walk to the start of Walk St., south. Or 3 mins by baht bus.

A few mins to Soi Buakhao with it's cheap internet places and restaurants etc.

The rooms are not luxury but clean. I find the large bed very comfortable.

Has a nice bathroom, and the inroom safe is a bonus. It is only small though.

I've stayed on most floors and many of the maids remember me and give me a friendly greeting.

Some of the staff have their moments but it ain't hard to get a smile with some light hearted banter.

As I was checking out after my August trip last year, one of the staff was going by the bus station by car so gave me and my lady a lift.

If you need plenty of space like at RG, which I believe could be the best value hotel in the world for what you get, or use to Hyatts, then Bay Breeze is probably not for you.

But I think the Bay Breeze is good value for those on a budget.

Cheers :D

chico, I miss Pattaya :crying :beer

If you are not happy with the value Baybreeze gives there must be something wrong with you :banghead

OK, JWM or Westin it is not, but if you pay about 800 for the big room you have excellent value for your money. The water was always hot and plentiful, the sheets changed daily, the towels changed daily, room safe, TV, mini bar.

I never tried the pool and I never had breakfast but I found the hotels location fine, especially for Baht Buses.

On check in I asked reception, " OK to bring lady back?"

She replied, "Only One!" :D

When I entered my room the window was open but it was 8-30pm, a mossie must have got in because I had a couple of bites on my back and shoulders which could have only happened in the rooom, but WTF This is Thailand.

The bottom line is if someone else was paying I would stay at Marriott Resort, me paying then it's Baybreeze. :D

Hey there,

I would not recommend the Baybreeze.  I stayed there one night on April 3rd. I wouldn't call it a dump but it is not very nice at all.  Then again, it was only

600bt so, I suppose you get what you pay for.  It is off the beaten path

somewhat.  About 3-4 blocks or 5 minute walk from Soi 8.  The pool was

cloudy and dirty and I wouldn't even dream of swimming in it.  The rooms (I

saw two different ones - one in each wing) needed renovation and looked out

over some construction and empty garbage-strewn lots.  Even the street it

various other small businesses.  The lobby was dark and uninviting and the

staff was unfriendly and lazy.  The whole vibe of the place sort of brought

me down.

After one night there, I moved to Eastiny on Soi 8.  It was 800bt but worth

the 200bt increase.  Great pool.  Good service, staff, and nice facilities.

Sort of a cheery atmosphere - the exterior was yellow and interior lobby and

rooms fairly well-lit.  Although, being right on Soi 8, it was a touch noisy

at night.  The A/C fan almost blocked out all the noise though (and, of

course, I was usually fairly shitfaced by bedtime anyway - haha)  It was

also very close to the beach road if you like hopping on the bahtbus to

walking street. I would definitely stay there again.  Hope this helps.

Thanks for the review and i agree on the Eastinny being worth the extra baht. Even better IMO, and you may want to try next time, is the Eastinny Place on Soi 8 (you can negotiate down to 700/night) and just ask for room away from soi as there is a big difference in noise levels. Rooms seem relatively new, nice pool, etc. I have stayed there probably 10 times now.

You just have to get over that bad attitude and you'll be fine :D :banghead (good response, BTW).

Hub

I stayed at the BayBreeze during Mar and Apr just gone, I find it an excellent budget hotel.

As mentioned before it ain't the grand palace but it is excellent value for money if you ask me.

The beds are comfortable, bathrooms clean, OK the view is pretty shit but what do you go to Pattaya for to sit in your room and look out the window all day??

As Chico mentioned there were a couple of days when the water went off but that is no major drama in my book. I find the staff to be friendly and helpful.

Cheers,

Kev

Even better IMO, and you may want to try next time, is the Eastinny Place on Soi 8 (you can negotiate down to 700/night) and just ask for room away from soi as there is a big difference in noise levels. Rooms seem relatively new, nice pool, etc.

You over paid. I stayed there on my trips in 2002 and paid only 650. I did stay for 30 days at a time so maybe that why they cut me a lower rate. I think the place opened in 2000/2001. In 2003 I discovered Mike's Beach and was charged 600 which had a much bigger room. My current place is only 250 a day (plus utilities) and its the best room that I've stayed in Pattaya to date, although a bit further from the beach. Baybreeze is a budget hotel, but if you look around and are willing to walk a little or spend an extra few minutes on a baht bus you can do better.

If you are not happy with the value Baybreeze gives there must be something wrong with you

If you ARE happy with the crappy rooms my friend and I had, then you must have pretty low standards and have not done much comparison shopping.

If you tolerate the rooms and like the place for other reasons, or if we just happened to get the two crappiest rooms in the place, then maybe you are OK. I had forgotten about the two mosquitos that were waiting for me upon arrival, until you mentioned it. The staff, who were friendly during my initial days, turned almost surly when I told them I would be checking out the next morning, rather than 4 days later as planned.

In comparison, in the last 2 years:

*I paid 300 in low season for a room on Soi 13/2 that was 1/2 the size but much cleaner and in better shape.

*I paid 700 for Diamond Inn and twice got a room that was much better than the ones at Baybreeze. The one time I got a room that was not, it took only a simple request to change to a different room.

*I paid 800 at AA Residence and got a room that was much cleaner and in better condition, but a little dark.

*I paid under 800 at Penthouse and got a smaller but much nicer room, with none of the cockroaches others have had the misfortune to encounter.

If you like the Baybreeze, stay there. If not, don't.

Hippie

I paid 800 and the rooms are OK, from the web they seem about twice the size as the standard room, not sure if they are called deLuxe.

FWIW I have stayed in The Peninsula, Landmark, JWM and Westin in Bangers and I found them all great, the only great thing about Baybreeze is the big value room you get for a Tenner(£11).

I paid 2500 at SS for a suite, nothing wrong but the saving of 1700 pays for my ladys.

I have spent several nights at Pinnacle resort Jomtien, the rooms are nice but the hotel is too far from the action.

BB for me next time, but large room again, worth the extra 300.

Ah ha! Me thinks we have maybe been comparing mangos and coconuts. I have never seen the deluxe (or whatever they are called) rooms at Baybreeze. It is indeed possible they are not only larger but much better mainained than the standard rooms. So I stand by my opinion that at least some of the standard rooms s&*k and are not worth the money, but leave open the possibility that the deluxe rooms are worthwhile.

The bigger rooms are not worth it.

I have to recommend the Apex, they have a great breakfast and dinner buffet too which I enjoyed.

pom mee kohok, puud talok

Apex is probably the best value for money, about 450, maybe less, much nearer for baht bus and all you can eat buffet breakfast.

Apex is probably the best value for money, about 450, maybe less, much nearer for baht bus and all you can eat buffet breakfast.

The front desk staff at the Apex are friendly and honest too, thats one of the few hotels where I would use my credit card to pay for my room :nod

Noi, the cashier is a knock out :nod

I like the area around the Apex/BayBreeze, but I've been staying at the Skaw Beach lately.

Love the Apex breakfast and the Lek Hotel has one just a little better.

But the Apex runs that damn deposit for safety box scam and I had to argue for my deposit back. Hard for them to not give it back when you keep all reciepts, but it was the attempt that pissed me off.

I don't put too much Baht into a room as it is. I'm not there enough as it is. I guess my high end would be a nicer room at the BayBreeze

Ahhh..Ting_Tong, you ever tried that steak place across from the BayBreeze, I hear it's a good one, but I haven't tried it yet...

Greg, the steak at Gokies is great! I ocasionally have lunch there, I dont know how she cooks it, but the hamburger is nearly fat free?

The steaks are a bit pricy though, but the serving is huge at 400bt.

• 3 weeks later...
I like the area around the Apex/BayBreeze, but I've been staying at the Skaw Beach lately.

Love the Apex breakfast and the Lek Hotel has one just a little better.

But the Apex runs that damn deposit for safety box scam and I had to argue for my deposit back. Hard for them to not give it back when you keep all reciepts, but it was the attempt that pissed me off.

I don't put too much Baht into a room as it is. I'm not there enough as it is. I guess my high end would be a nicer room at the BayBreeze

Ahhh..Ting_Tong, you ever tried that steak place across from the BayBreeze, I hear it's a good one, but I haven't tried it yet...

whats the scam??

• 2 weeks later...
when you check out they give you a hard time for a deposit.  They will pretend they dont know of a deposit?

100% correct on the deposit for the safety box. I had to produce my receipt showing I paid the deposit, which you must, in order to get the safety deposit box. It's 500 Baht and they act like it was never paid, but they demand a deposit or you can't have a box.

Round and round we go, me acting like I didn't keep the reciept and then after she says I should have kept the receipt, I produce it for her to see .

I actually like the place for the money, it was not a bad place to stay. But you can easily get other rooms around that price {give or take 150 Baht}, that are better.

Stayed at BayBreeze but never again. First of all, I don't like doing business with a ladyboy and BayBreeze has one on staff with MAJOR attitude. "Can't help now, paint on nails still wet" was an actual quote.

I had problems there from day 1. My room was so shabby. Every time you must walk up soi Honey, you get hits from every hungry bar girl. At first it was fun but by the 3rd day, you just want to hit the mute button because most are sub standard. I felt it was Whoopi Goldberg clones everywhere.

To make a phone call, you must go through the reception and I would give them my # and they would just hang up on me as soon as I read the last digit presumably to make the call. But then my phone wouldn't ring so I had no idea if they had tried and not succeeded or are still trying relentlessly. Obviously I would then ring the reception again and someone else would answer having no idea what I was talking about.

Their lack of professionalism and shoddy service combined with their 2nd rate rooms, means I ain't setting foot in there again. Maybe it would be fun to have a little chat with the ladyboy and explain how to give better customer service, no charge.

I checked out must earlier than I had planned for peace of mind elsewhere. Once you change hotels that is better, it really puts into perspective how lousy the others can be.

Why would you stay at the baybreeze if you live in pattaya year round?

I need some advice here. My thai girlfriend and I live in Pattaya year round. We have a house together and are both in our 20s. I'm from the States, she's from Isaan. We both own motorbikes. We want to start a business geared towards solo first time visitors to Pattaya. With the understanding that the visitor would not require a map or a baht bus or any thinking at all since everything we would do together is door to door.

Everyone reading this had or will have a first time in Pattaya. From reading this forum, I can see there is anxiety and questions from the moment you leave the arrival gate at the airport. How much is the taxi? Will my driver come?Will he find my hotel? What if he changes cars, etc. Once in the city itself, am I paying too much for a room based on my needs? Am I in a good location? How far am I from....? How do I get to....? What is the correct price for...? etc.

So we want to give people a day and night tour which they could end at any time. My thai girlfriend can negotiate prices and the gist of the service is that they will save money all around because we can get them discounts on everything and/or at least ensure they don't overpay which is another big question that keeps surfacing on this board. I would do the bar/gogo tours in addition to the day tours. How to find the best places and the scummy ones too. How to find the soapies, etc. I know a lot of this information is already out there but it's scattered.

We also want to take people to the off the beaten track areas where farrangs rarely venture. Out of the way Wats, markets, villages, etc.

The bottom line is, they are free to go when they want. There is no glue here but we are here to help them avoid all the potholes. To show them the parts of Pattaya that the average tourist will surely miss like the elephant or Naklua villages. Because we have 2 bikes, we can do this with singles or couples. Maximum 2 per tour.

So in all your experience and wisdom, if we keep the price at say $100USD per day (cancel anytime), do you think it would fly? What is a decent price for this service? Would you have benefitted from this service when you first came to Pattaya? I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

Edited by ting_tong