Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Thai non stop LAX-BKK

I didn't say the airlines would charge lower fares for non stop, I said it was cheaper for them to fly non stop. Granted I didn't use the correct terminolgy when I said circle the airfield, but I have experienced 15 minutes delays waiting for the pilot to get the OK to land at Narita. Also twice I've been on a plane as we were getting ready to land that the pilot had to abort at the last second and we had to wait for another opportunity. From SFO that I know of, you can get to LOS by Korea, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore. Now not all of these are on a route that would be the shortest distance between SFO and LOS thus requiring more fuel and time. Since your a controller then I'm sure that your aware that even when these plane don't have to wait for a landing that they spend additional fuel getting into the correct landing pattern for the airfield and when they take off they aren't usually going if the direction of the next airfield.

Congratulations on your 12 years as a controller. I retired with 34 years as a civilian with the Air Force in logistics as a cost analyst. Logistical support of military aircraft and civilian aircraft doesn't differ that much. Depot maintenance and the changing out of aircraft componets for servicing are based on flown hours. The more flights that you can generate between required maintenance, the more revenue. Also the changing of tires was dependent on the number of landings.

BTW, on my next trip to LOS UA put me on SQ for my freebie because they were booked solid. My flight from SFO to Singapore is direct but with a stop in Hong Kong.

That may well be but a little Gasoline on a cat's ass and he can beat a motorcycle !! :D

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful buying cheap tickets with Thai and SQ as they don't offer frequent flyer miles. I've read that Thai is changing their policy on ff miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting set to book a flight to LOS later this year. When I try to book Thai Airways non-stop LAX-BKK, I'm getting quotes from $1700-$2500. This just isn't competitive when I can fly China for $750 and EVA for $850. I'm willing to pay more for Thai Airways because it is non-stop, shaves 4 hours off the flight time, and has better arrival and return times, and will have new planes. However, double the price is just too much. Does anybody think this price will come down? What site is best for getting the lowest quote on this flight?

Prices tend to drop after 15 September. With the price of jet fuel as high as it is I don't think we will see the same prices as earlier this year. I could fly from PHL-BKK for $695 on UA.

I'm getting set to book a flight to LOS later this year. When I try to book Thai Airways non-stop LAX-BKK, I'm getting quotes from $1700-$2500. This just isn't competitive when I can fly China for $750 and EVA for $850. I'm willing to pay more for Thai Airways because it is non-stop, shaves 4 hours off the flight time, and has better arrival and return times, and will have new planes. However, double the price is just too much. Does anybody think this price will come down? What site is best for getting the lowest quote on this flight?

The prices were roughly the same for the New York nonstops. Wait until TG officially announces the route and then buy the "introductory" priced tickets. I posted the NYC ticket prices somewhere. I don't have them in hand, but it was roughly $3k for business, $1250 for premium economy, and $1000 for economy. Unless FF miles are offered for booking on TG's website, I'd go thru a consolidator.

I just flew JAL from LAX-KIX-BKK and not only was it a good deal {$802}, the layover times were about 1hr and 15 mins each way.

I left LAX @ 1:55 PM and arrived BKK @ 11PM

I left BKK @ 9:10 AM and arrived LAX @ 11AM

I had my own personal TV in coach, the service was good and the seats were comfortable.

I just flew JAL from LAX-KIX-BKK and not only was it a good deal {$802}, the layover times were about 1hr and 15 mins each way.

I had my own personal TV in coach, the service was good and the seats were comfortable.

Greg_B,

I was curious as to what type of aircraft JAL used for each leg of your flight?

Regards

I was curious as to what type of aircraft JAL used for each leg of your flight

Good Question Just ask JimmyBB he was stuck on a 35 year old DC 10 !! SFO / Tokyo

I've seen several references to a new 777-200ER. Does anyone know if Thai Air has ordered the new Boeing 777-200LR WorldLiner?

Thai Airlines has 8 B772 on-hand, 6 B772ER on order, and 6 B773 on-hand. They have not ordered the B772LR...and I don't think they will since they have the A345 for their North America nonstops. I guess the only reason they'd need the B772LR is if they wanted to carry more pax and cargo.

Also, I know it's kind of confusing between no designation and ER/LR designations, but the B772ER has been out for a while. The new plane is the B772LR. It's still in flight testing and is either going to attempt LHR-SYD nonstop or stay airborne without refueling for 24 continous hours.

Only 4 airlines have ordered the B772LR and first delivery will be in January 2006 to Pakistan International (2 aircraft). The other 3 airlines who've ordered it are: EVA Air (3), Air India (haven't signed the papaerwork to make it official), and Air Canada (who cancelled their order last week). Other airlines are waiting for the testing program to get done before deciding. Emirates, BA, and Qantas are all interested. Also, of the 5 officially sold, EVA is rumored to want to switch their 3 orders to B773ERs and then buy B772LRFs.

Greg_B,

I was curious as to what type of aircraft JAL used for each leg of your flight?

Regards

SoCal..

LAX-KIX - 747-400

KIX-BKK- 747-200

Same on the return trip, now the 747-200 was old and it didn't have the personal TV's, but at that stage of the trip, I'm into sleep mode.

The 747-400 was great, very good aircraft

LAX-KIX - 747-400

KIX-BKK- 747-200

The 747-400 was great, very good aircraft

Greg_B,

Thanks for the information! I agree that the 747-400 is a great airplane. I am a little surprised that JAL is still flying those 747-200s though. Those things must be 35+ years old.

Regards

• 4 weeks later...
Greg_B,

Thanks for the information! I agree that the 747-400 is a great airplane. I am a little surprised that JAL is still flying those 747-200s though. Those things must be 35+ years old.

Regards

I once flew Singapore to NRT on a JAL 747-400D, D for domestic. It is a "special" version built for Japan Airlines with the understanding, according to Boeing, that it would NOT be flown outside of the Islands of Japan. It is a total cattle car that seats 568 in the smallest seats I've ever seen on an aircraft. It was one of, no it was, the worst travel experience of my life. I'm a BIG FAN of the 747-400, but not the "D".

;-)

Greg_B,

Thanks for the information!  I agree that the 747-400 is a great airplane. I am a little surprised that JAL is still flying those 747-200s though.  Those things must be 35+ years old.

Regards

Just about. The first 747-100 entered commercial service with PanAm in January 1970, and the last of that series was delivered to Japan Airlines in Sept. 1986. The 747-200 entered service in June 1971, and 393 were built before the last one was delivered 1991. Many of the 747-200 passenger versions have been converted to freighters. The 747-300 entered service in March 1983 and the last one was delivered in Sept. 1990. 747-400, the current series, entered service in January 1989, the cargo version in 1993, the ER (extended range) version both passenger and cargo, in November 2002. They are now considering building a new "747 Advanced."

As of May of 2004, Boeing had delivered 1,356 747s. I don't know how many have been ordered and/or delivered between May of '04 and June of '05, but as of June there were 25 firm orders for new 747s, and since then I've read of at least 6 new orders.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family...pf_400back.html

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/747family/background.html

Edited by Samsonite

Just thought I'd add this update:

For anyone interested in flying TG from LAX but not willing to pay the premium of a non-stop flight, well, beginning in January 2006 the B744 will be no more. TG will be flying new A346s 4 days a week with a stop at KIX to supplement the 3 days a week non-stop A345 flights. These will be new aircraft with new configurations, seats, and AVOD.

echster,

Thanks for the update.

These 5 x A340-600 are going to be busy aircraft ............ Milan, Tokyo, Zurich, Auckland, Johannesburg, Osaka and Los Angeles at the last count. Any I've missed? Paris? Madrid? Given the cock-ups with the A340-600 schedules on the Auckland, Zurich and Milan routes, I'm surprised Thai knows what it will be doing next month, no matter next year. 2guns

When is the next investors' presentation? Next month? It will be nice to get some clarification what they are getting up to. That said, the LAX flight would make sense to be upgraded to a A346 since I would think some pax would be pissed off if they got the A345 in one direction and one of the older clapped-out 747s in the other direction.

I think I will continue to avoid them until they put a non-stop 777ER into Manchester. 2guns

Tom

Tom,

It could be a problem for TG but they're not going to keep the A346s on routes 7 days a week. They're going to mix and match and spread them around (ala LAX - 3 x A345, 4 x A346). I feel they'll be spread aroud until their other planes' cabins are refurbished.

I can take an educated guess and say these airports will get or keep MD-11s for now: AKL, ATH, CPH, DME. Places like AKL and DME will see 3 days a week A346 and 4 days a week MD-11.

I see the A346s here: JNB (announced), DME (announced 3 days a week), ZRH (TBA), MEL (their daytime MD-11s are going to move to AKL around Christmas), and LAX (4 times a week beginning in January 2006).

I you can't catch the new Airbi, you're probably best to skip TG 'til the refurbs are complete. I'll probably stick with EVA Air from LAX because the TG non-stop only saves 1.5 hours. The cost difference isn't worth it right now.

echster,

The Swiss site shows Thai operating A346 7 days a week on their codeshare but the Thai site shows EQV (star alliance site shows a MD11) as the aircraft type so it all gets a bit confusing. A couple of months ago on their investors presentation TG were unambiguous in saying the 346 was for European secondary routes (everywhere except FRA and LHR), Auckland and Tokyo now they seem to be all over the place. :unsure: It really makes you wonder if they do have a strategy.

Personally, I think they've got way too much capacity at the front end of the aircraft for some of the routes they are allocating the aircraft to and that they would have been better taking the EVA (and their own 345) route and went for a C, Y+ and Y configuration. The obvious problem on the LAX route is that the 345 and 346/747 configurations are incompatable, i.e. no Y+ on the 346/747 and no F on the 345. No problem if, like SQ, you are providing a daily choice between the two but not if it is a pick 'n mix spread over the whole week. :unsure:

Any idea about their 772ER deliveries? Are they still next year? To me that would seem a better choice of aircraft for the Euro secondary routes and KIX/LAX, paricularly if they go for a C/Y+/Y configuration.

Tom

Any idea about their 772ER deliveries? Are they still next year? To me that would seem a better choice of aircraft for the Euro secondary routes and KIX/LAX, paricularly if they go for a C/Y+/Y configuration.

I haven't heard anything about TG cancelling or delaying orders. There was a rumor discussed here about TG deferring A346s but as you can see, that's not happening.

TG's A346s Winter Schedule

Days per week: ZRH-7, AKL-3, KIX/LAX-4, JNB-3, DME-3, NRT-3

TG970 BKK-ZRH 0100-0700

TG971 ZRH-BKK 1330-0555+1

TG989 BKK-AKL 1720-1050+1 1,3,5

TG990 AKL-BKK 1530-2130 2,4,6

TG774 BKK-KIX-LAX 0740-0905 2,3,5,7

TG775 LAX-KIX-BKK 1205-2255+1 2,3,5,7

TG703 BKK-JNB 0015-0620 1,3,6

TG704 JNB-BKK 1345-0545 1,3,6

TG974 BKK-DME 1035-1625 2,4,6

TG975 DME-BKK 1820-0705 2,4,6

TG676 BKK-NRT 0730-1540 1,3,5

TG677 NRT-BKK 1655-2125 1,3,5

• 2 months later...
I'll probably stick with EVA Air from LAX because the TG non-stop only saves 1.5 hours. The cost difference isn't worth it right now.

Does anyone know if EVA uses B744s from LAX to LOS and back. I heard that they used the MD-11 from Taipei to BKK for a while. The MD-11 is not my favorite aircraft.

Regards

Socal,

I do remember the MD11's but to be honest dont recall the difference as when I am on my way to LOS only thing on my mind is Pussy and a buddy once told me that if the plane is coming down that's OK as long it is on the flight home.

• 3 months later...

Finally....

http://www.thaiairways.com/About_Thai/News...s1205-wu425.htm

I know the press release is dated (Dec 2005), but there have been no recent posts on it.

It kind of sucks that they only fly nonstops 3 days of the week (Sun, Tue, Fri) - but I guess we have to be happy with what we get?

I priced out a direct flight on Travelocity for Feb/March at $970 + $163 tax = $1133. For a nonstop, not that bad, considering a lot of others are increasing pricies due to rising fuel costs.

Has any one flown this route ???

Zeus

Edited by Zeus

"Does anyone know if EVA uses B744s from LAX to LOS and back. I heard that they used the MD-11 from Taipei to BKK for a while. The MD-11 is not my favorite aircraft."

744's from LAX to Taipei. Either 744's, 747 combi's or triple 7's from Taipei to Bangkok.

Their website is primitive but.....

EVA Airlines

~Sa-teef