Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

United Airlines sticks it to me

After reading here about the higher prices in June and then checking with my travel agent today for flights in June who quoted me the same high prices, I decided I had better get off my ass and book my flight now with UA using my FF miles. I went to the website and tried about 10 days at the end of June and all I got was "Not Available". I was then forced to phone then which cost $15 because your talking to a person. I told the lady that I was flexible and she found me a flight leaving on the 27th but not with United. She but me on that dumpy airline, Singapore. So for an additional $15 I have to put up with Singapore Airlines FA's and food. :beer

Poor guy. :crying

How many days did that set you back on the retirement? :beer

You can stay at the Skytop to make the $15 back.......

Hub

I used my United miles for 4 roundtrips and an Ipod. You may actually be lucky to be able to use the miles before the scumbags finalize bankruptcy!

UNITED SUCKS!

You can stay at the Skytop to make the $15 back.....

Emil,

All is not lost I know 2 freelancers that are good to go for a half bunch of Bananas :beer :nod

Poor guy. :crying

How many days did that set you back on the retirement?  :nod

You can stay at the Skytop to make the $15 back.......

Hub

Hub,

When your retired and on a fixed income you have to watch the baht, besides my housing costs are sunk. At first I thought when I see the TGF next week that I would have to inform her that her allowance was going to be cut, but after further analysis I noticed that my BKK departure is around noon so I can take the mini bus to BKK and break even. :nod

Are you showing your fiancee around the USA? I think you should take her to DC and show her the Capitol. With luck Congress will be in session and then you can show her some Statist in action.

Edited by Emil

Actually, the call center fee is only $5 Emil (maybe more for you Left Coast Folks!) so you won't have eat at the noodle carts for TOO MANY DAYS! :beer

I've never had any luck booking awards upgrades or flights on the website. Always have to resort to the call center.

SA huh, you lucky rascal? And I thought I got a good one with TG on the KIX to BKK leg of my awards flight! The engines or wings may fall off, but at least the scenery is better on Thai Airways than the usual old hags on the United flights....

I noticed on my Eva confirmation fax for August that they blacked out June 7th- August 15th as alternatives so there is more than one airline that is cranking up the summer vacation period.

~Sa-teef

Actually, the call center fee is only $5 Emil (maybe more for you Left Coast Folks!) so you won't have eat at the noodle carts for TOO MANY DAYS! :beer 

I like the pork noodle soup, my teerack but just the right amount of chili powder in it for me. :beer UA must be feeling sorry for you WI folks because when I called the number I had a recorded message telling me that it was $15 and then after booking the flight the lady told me $15. I don't understand it, this will be my third freebie with UA and on the first two I was either flying over or returning on Thai Air, yet when I have a paid flight there are always many vacant seats on United.

Poor poor Emil :P I flew Sing air from BKK-Seoul last year so I feel your pain brother.. ;) ;) ;)

travlling............ :beer :D :P= :beer :beer

If I book and pay for the Thai nonstop JFK-BKK, I can credit these miles to my United FF account right?

I believe so, best to check with United. I know that sometime if the fare is very low they don't qualify. Also they don't always credit you mile for mile, once they put me on All Nippon Air and I only got about 70% of the miles.

" had a recorded message telling me that it was $15 and then after booking the flight the lady told me $15."

Sorry guy, it must of gone up. It still says $5 on the website and I checked my e-ticket and cc bill. My "free ticket" for May cost me $54.45 in tax and I was billed 59.45 by United. I made the reservation on Feb 14th, so they must have raised it (along with darn near everything else!) since then.

That or they were just feeling sorry for us flatlanders out here in fly over country....

~Sa-teef

That or they were just feeling sorry for us flatlanders out here in fly over country....

They're not feeling to sorry for you flatlanders, my taxes were only $24.45.

When I booked my January 05 trip in the autumn of 04, whenevr I was on hold there was always a pre-recorded message about the soon to be implemented 15 buck fee. However, it seems the phone people seem to have access to a secret stash of flights unavailable on the website. And iof you're flying segements on other Star Alliance carriers, you are really forced into the phone.

Anyway, 15 bucks not a big deal on an Asian flight but would bwe irritating to me on a cheap domestic flight. I spent at least 3 hours on the phone with their reps fine tuning my unusual itiniery speaking to at least 10 reps.

My eventual trip:

JFK-NRT via United

NRT-BKK via Thai (did this to arrive a half hour earlier but a very poor idea since I almost missed the connecting flight since it's in a different terminal

BKK-Bali via Thai

Bali-Singapore via Sing

Singapore-Newark via Sing

All for 60K FF miles.

Bali was considered the ultimate destination even thought I spent over 5 weeks in the LOS. BKK was the one permitted layover: Singapore didn't count since it waqs less than 24 hours. If u have no desire to go to Bali but would like to go to the PI, this can also be done in similar fashion.

If you want to check out obscure sub-segements yourself check out the Star Alliance website. However it does not mean these flights are available with FF miles.

http://www.staralliance.com/star_alliance/...me/main_10.html

Edited by partyanimal

Not sure where you'refrom Belem, I'm bad a flags but if you guys are changing planes in Narita from a United flight to a Thai flight you better haul ass between termonals and make sure you're on the right line etc.

Guest Belem

I'll be flying United from my home city to LAX, then Thai on through Osaka to BKK. Asian Air(in Korea) is also a Star Alliance partner with United, so they are another option to BKK (from the states)along with Thai and Singapore Airlines.