Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

American Airlines is screwing its FF passengers

American has long had an agreement with its passengers that for 25k miles, you could upgrade one leg between the US and Japan.

Without any advance notice, American Airlines has changed that to 25k miles + $250 per them segment. Folks that thought they were earning miles towards an upgrade have been totally lied to.

Shit Korean used to get 30,000 Miles for a oneway up grade between SFO and Bkk and now they want 55,000 Miles I say fuckum and Feedum Fish !!!

Edited by Soi7

It looks like that all airlines are increasing the miles for upgrades now. 30 k to 40 k for many and may be necessary as more a more miles are accumulated by the travellers, but to ask for money also is just stealing.

elef

Well Thai has a special on, from Auckland to BKK WHAT SHOULD BE 40K miles can now be had for 32k miles.

Im waiting for my upgrade to be comfirmed.

I reckon it's the ongoing higher price of fuel that's pressuring them to pull these tricks.

IMHO, far better customer relations to come out and say that, rather than sneak around adding surcharges and the like.

L

I reckon it's the ongoing higher price of fuel that's pressuring them to pull these tricks.

IMHO, far better customer relations to come out and say that, rather than sneak around adding surcharges and the like.

L

Air Miles, in its various forms, is already the world's second biggest "currency" behind the USD. However, like many currencies, it has become too strong in the marketplace and some airlines are, in effect, devaluing that currency to bring it in line and protect their own interests.

BBC/Economist Report on Air Miles

Tom

Edited by CheshireTom
Well Thai has a special on, from Auckland to BKK  WHAT SHOULD BE 40K miles can now be had for 32k miles.

Im waiting for my upgrade to be comfirmed.

Good Fucking Luck on hearing anything from Thai Airways. I've places 35+ phonecalls to them today in the USA and gotten a busy signal or no answer.

Guess I'll have to call to Thailand tonight to get my problem rsolved... :chogdee2

American has long had an agreement with its passengers that for 25k miles, you could upgrade one leg between the US and Japan.

Without any advance notice, American Airlines has changed that to 25k miles + $250 per them segment. Folks that thought they were earning miles towards an upgrade have been totally lied to.

First of all, the award tables are not an agreement, and haven't been in quite some time... if you read the fine print, they're well within their rights to do that. If you had miles with American from far enough back, those were subject to an agreement and some lucky individuals still have "old miles" that are tracked separately.

Second, there was advance notice leaked out quite a ways in advance in fact... if you know where to look.

Lastly, this is only on discount coach tickets. A lot of airlines like United don't even let you upgrade many cheaper fares... higher fares on American are still upgradeable without the fee.

Yeah, it sucks, but it's hardly a matter of "screwing" people.

Yeah I saw that miles hike to 120K by NW.

I'm just glad that they are still honoring my 90K biz flight to BKK in Nov 05. ( I booked it before the hikes were announced).

Bottom line - if you have miles, use em. The airlines will change the rules each year - and it's usually not in our advantage!

Zeus