Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Should I bring pet cat to Pattaya?

Once again I'll be flying into Thailand, this time on August 1 and this time for good. Will hopefully move into a condo on November 1. I have a cat, age 11, which has been extremely loyal. Back in October-November I left the cat with friends who she never warmed up to and nearly died from lack of eating, etc. while I was staying in Pattaya for a month.

I have checked the airlines for procedures and costs for bringing my cat with me. I have also checked various web sites in order to find out what I must do to import this cat into Thailand. For instance I need to take her to the vet who I would get a report from re the cat's History, his opinion as to her health, etc. There are possible shots involved.

At the Bangkok airport there are fees involved. But I don't know how much. Here the info gets fuzzy as there might be a possible 30 day quarantine involved. But I need to know---is there or isn't there a quarantine involved assuming the cat is healthy?

The person who owns the guesthouse I'll be staying in for three months prior to my moving into the condo I have bought has warned me not to bring the cat on account of her age and the hot climate in Pattaya which he believes would soon kill her. Although this cat is 11 she looks and acts much younger and to my knowledge has never been sick.

Can anyone fill me in on the gaps in my knowledge on bringing my cat in re fees possible quarantine, etc? Also need good advice as to a cat such as mine's chances of remaining healthy under the circumstances of such a drastic move, change of climate, etc?

Many thanks, Greg B. I checked the site out and just like other sites I've visited i noticed that a quarantine might be imposed. As of a few days ago I've emailed one of the Thai government bureacracies governming this. And no reply. I could call the airport at the telephone numbers I found via your link which I found also on another site to find out what fees are involved as well as how much of a possibility of quarantine I might run into. In Pattaya at one of the Expat meetings at the Grand Sole Hotel I asked a question about my cat traveling to Pattaya and was informed by someone that there is no quarantine, not in her experience---but the operative words here are "Not in her experience". I think a 30 day quarantine as well as being expensive would kill or destroy the health of my cat.

The man who owns the guest house where I'll be once again staying in Pattaya has e-mailed me writing: "Are you out of your mind for wanting to bring your cat to Pattaya?" He then suggested strongly that my cat would not live long once she got to Pattaya on account of the very hot climate. This web site you just linked me to admonishes the reader contemplating moving his dog or cat to Thailand that there is a very real danger to the animals health because of this relentlously very hot climate.

Any constructive thoughts on all of this from anyone?

Have you consulted with your veterinarian regarding your cats health in the differant climate, air quality, etc...? There may be physical variables involved with your cat that other board members did not have to contend with when transplanting their animals.

As foolish as it would look, if it's a long hair, hell, even a short hair, you could always have the cat's hair shaved or trimmed very close before you leave. Ask your vet and he'll tell you it will grow back adjusted for the heat. Just keep it warm until you get there. When you do get there make sure it IS warm by giving it the option of a warmer spot off the floor(cold tile w/AC not good) with a blanket or something.

Your vet will also be able to give you something to help the cat relax during the flight and keep it QUIET as you go through immigration and customs with it in a carry-on bag. :unsure: A pocket full of "donateable" Baht, just in case, might also be advisable(A real stupid look on your face throughout might also help). Look on eBay(search "pet carriers" or "cat travel bag")and you will find, for example, mesh bags for use ON the plane(s) and backpack, or similar "closed types" for getting on and off each plane(Thai has non-stop JFK-BKK). Best bet might be a closed DISCREET type from start to finish.

When you talk to him tell the vet you want to give the meds a test run long before you leave the U.S. to work out administration times because you're going to need multiple doses(important) because of the length of the flight. You'll also want to time it right to make sure the cat is knocked out upon arrival in BKK. Grind up the meds at home, bring with you, and mix it with his favorite cat food while on the plane(try this during test run at home). I'd, more or less, starve the cat for quite a while before med. administration time(s) to ensure he's hungry enough to gobble down the food quickly because I'd think it'll taste a little nasty with the med. in it.

Get the cat used to the carrier long before you leave by making him stay/sleep in it for a couple of hours a day to start and then work upwards to all night(min. flt. time is 12hrs from US). The animal will also have to get used to pissing and shitting in it otherwise he'll be screaming to get out on the flight and at other inappropriate moments. Line it with towels for comfort, WARMTH, and absorption and change it immediately when needed so the cat will know it's okay to do it and know it won't have to roll around in it's own piss. Get the cat used to drinking bottled water now and carry-on enough for the flight(bring his favorite bowl, hanging bottle for carrier, or eye-dropper) bearing in mind that the flight will dehydrate him to begin with and any meds will compound it. Also bring gallon sized Ziploc plastic bags to seal and discard any soiled towels(bring extra for inflight) in or you'll end up pissing off other passengers with the smell of cat shit. Also remember to select a seat that has a seat in front of you so you can put the carrier under it and keep an eye on it. Otherwise you might be forced to put it in the overhead bin during take-off and landing. A collar(always worn and attached to leash) with a leash attached to the carrier bag could be helpful. As funny as it would look you don't want the cat escaping with you chasing it all over the plane.

It wouldn't hurt to get the cat used to it all by driving around, going to the store, walking in crowds, etc..., while he's in your chosen pet carrier. Eventually, he'll be bored by it all and won't give a shit. The key to it all is "quiet, discreet, and inconspicuous".

After all that I will say that if you're not going to be able to provide full time A/C for the cat you could be putting it in harms way. Best bet is to talk to your vet about how long it will take for the cat to acclimate itself to the climate. A consult with a vet, via phone, in a place like Miami(similar climate in Summer) to explain your concerns wouldn't hurt. Ask your local vet if he thinks it a good idea. You might even want to do it yourself before you mention it to your local vet so he doesn't think you don't trust him.

For what it's worth, even though I haven't done it, I think it can be done. The way I look at it is, and I hate to put it like this, your valid fears of what might happen to the cat because of the move might also happen, albeit in differant way, because of the separation from you. In short, the end result could be the same in both cases. The vet should also tell you that a permanent move from one home to another, no matter where, WILL be very stressfull to a cat that age. From what you wrote I think you've already seen a little of this. Good luck.

My concerns would be about the trip to/from Thailand, as that is a tough one for us as well. I assume the cat will remain indoors at all times, so the climate may not be a really big factor, assuming you leave the AC on.

A pet is part of the family and leaving it can be as hard as taking it with you. As long as you have the health certificates and shots, you'll probably be okay with the Thai authorities.

You may want to try this link to Thai Customs and ask them any questions.

http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Conta...nuNme=ContactUs

Wishing you the best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Edited by Greg_B

Assuming you're in the States:

I inquired to a Thai Gov't. Ofc about this issue once and the reply was:

Please contact Office of Agricultural Affairs at moacdc@thaiembdc.org or call:

202-338-1543

Many thanks guys. I will have to get on the phone to Thailand. Seems emailing government offices has not worked. I wonder if most government offices in any country know what email is.

Edited by jackcorbett
  • 3 weeks later...
Taking pussy to Pattaya, could make a new saying like 'taking coal to Newcastle' or 'taking sand to the Sahara' <grin <grin

or there is that lady called Sa`hara pipaliney......got laid by 1500 men in two weeks?

now 'thats' a pussy for you!!!................ <huh <grin

hi jack this is not a joke post, if you let your cat wander as most like to do then consider the semi feral cats that are already in residence unless your cat is extremely strong then he /she might fare badly in the continuing struggle for survival that these cats endure and would not be able to withstand the predation by the various soi dogs that also seem to prey on the cats.the thais also dont seem to have a love of animals that western people do and a strange cat appearing in thier vicinity might set them off to the detriment of your cat,so no matter what you decide I hope it goes well for you both