Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I'm wondering if anyone has any successfull programs/strategies used for learning the Thai language. Looking to get some basic "conversation level" instruction. Not trying to become a masater of the language or anything.

Edited by truax503

Buy a language program and make copies of Thai children programs and news. They speak correct Thai and they speak on a level that's easy to learn. Take the time to learn how to read Thai. These strategies were told to me by a fellow boardie that's teaches English in Korea.

Ask ding dong on here he reckons he speaks Thai. But probebly with an american dialect.

There are many programs on CDs that are good, but they have speakers that talk sort of fast.

The best is to buy a dictionary and learn many key words.

A good starter book is 07---English_small.gif

Spend some time with a good english/thai speaker, and ask questions, write everything down. Any Thai that speaks decent english will be happy that you are taking the time to learn their language. Remember what they say when some thais speak in funny sentences, like "your sister me" = my sister, then apply it to the thai translation of "my sister".

PM me for info on the dictionary or info.

I speak Thai with a cockney accent gov'na

probely = probally?

dialect = accent?

you are slaughtering the Queens language and grammar rules! slip that up your funk & wagnalls matey! :rolleyes:

I just ordered the CD program from Rosetta Stone; it was the highest rated of those I could find reviewed. It should arrive in a week or so, and I'll let you know what I think of it after I've used it for a while. There are a couple of good Thai restaurants in town that I frequent, and that's where I'll try to get in some practice. RS guarantees that you'll be pretty fluent in 6 months, which means I should be OK by the time I get back in November for Loy Krathong. Now maybe I'll know what the BGs are saying to each other about me while they're sitting there!

Look me up when you are in town, I'll tell you what they are saying! as long as they are not speaking Lao :D

rosetta stone was not that good, I was given a copy of pimsleur, but they speak a little fast.

Look me up when you are in town, I'll tell you what they are saying!  as long as they are not speaking Lao :D

rosetta stone was not that good, I was given a copy of pimsleur, but they speak a little fast.

Hmmmm. Thanks for the feedback on Rosetta Stone. They did offer me a 100% money-back guarantee, i.e.- if I'm not fluent in Thai in 6 months I can get all my money back. I'm not sure how the define "fluent", though.

I'm using chalermnit english-thai and the opposite version plus benjawan poomsan becker thai for beginners book and tapes but find using chal books if you invest in both works as thai people think your interested in their language even bg's

PDQ Thai, also Thai for Beginners by Benjawan Poomsan Becker, 3rd choice Thai for Lovers by Nit & Jack Aree

All 3 have a book accompanied by CDs. You have to immerse yourself in it. Listen in the car, while jogging or hanging out at the local coffee shop. When you're humming the music between takes, your getting enough exposure. MOOK

I'm wondering if anyone has any successfull programs/strategies used for learning the Thai language. Looking to get some basic "conversation level" instruction. Not trying to become a masater of the language or anything.

Search on one of the file share programs (Bear share or Winmx) for PIMSLEUR THAI.Ther is ten parts and seems to be popular. :chogdee2

I just ordered the CD program from Rosetta Stone; it was the highest rated of those I could find reviewed. It should arrive in a week or so, and I'll let you know what I think of it after I've used it for a while. There are a couple of good Thai restaurants in town that I frequent, and that's where I'll try to get in some practice. RS guarantees that you'll be pretty fluent in 6 months, which means I should be OK by the time I get back in November for Loy Krathong. Now maybe I'll know what the BGs are saying to each other about me while they're sitting there!

555555555555555555......if our little darlings think for one second you may be able to understand then they switch to a lao dialect.......score 1 for TG's.....score 0 for farang.... :D :chogdee2

555555555555555555......if our little darlings think for one second you may be able to understand then they switch to a lao dialect.......score 1 for TG's.....score 0 for farang.... :grin :grin-jump

Just don't let them know that you understand them and you have the time of your life listening to their bullshit...

cheers

cyber

Just don't let them know that you understand them and you have the time of your life listening to their bullshit...

cheers

cyber

My sentiments,works a treat.

Make your pig ignorant,don't react to anything you say even if you only understand nitnoi

I like that recent post on stickman's site where the educated and well read chap says learning thai is a complete waste of time.

His arguement is simple, everyone that matters generally speaks english (read, hookers) and if you do learn the language what exactly are you going to talk about/use it for?

Politics, world peace, business cycles, history, places of interest around the world?

Hardly, your conversations in thai will be as stupid and pointless as the ones you're having at the moment.

Well if you live here then it will make it a lot easier. OK if you rent a condo and only frequent the bars and never pass 3rd road but as soon as you buy a house or start a business then you will be happy if you could speak some Thai.

This is a typical attitude from the English speaking countries that all should speak English, a bit same as the French that only want to speak French which is not so popular with the English speaking world. :grin-jump

We are guests in Thailand and if you live here you should make an effort to learn Thai. It's not easy, I tried for 3 years now and still have a long way to go. :grin

Edited by c5vette

I found that being able to speak and write the language opened a lot of doors for me that would not open to a farang who does not speak the language. Whoever said that learning Thai is a waste of time probably never made it above Grade 6. Learning a foreign language to the extend that you can fluently communicate is never a mistake.

cheers

cyber

I am more than 1/2 way through the lessons that rosetta stone has on level 1. It works pretty well for me. I add a few lessons and then go back to review. The lessons use the words from previous lessons. It is kind of a pain sometimes because you dont know what they are talking. They show 4 photos and say a word or phrase and you select the one that fits. I have tried others that I didn't like as well.

Like cybers1b recommended http://www.learningthai.com is a good site. Try read with Manee under the top ten.

Good luck

Jim

We are guests in Thailand and if you live here you should make an effort to learn Thai. It's not easy, I tried for 3 years now and still have a long way to go. :D

Just out of interest, do you also regard yourself as a 'guest' in any foreign country that you visit?

For example, if you've been to England did you say;

'remember c5vette you a guest in this country and you should respect its religion, customs and people'

If you did or do say that then you're one weird puppy, so why pander so much to thailand with this so over-used ridiculous statement?

PS. Not our fault that English is now THE global language, blame it on America and the power of money/commerce. Also if you don't speak English these days you're going to be left behind, just ask the French who've now realised it, so much so that English is now the language of the boardroom (read, power) in France. Almost impossible to get a good paying job with a big European or global company (in France) without good English skills. Germany's been like that for 5+ years.

Just out of interest, do you also regard yourself as a 'guest' in any foreign country that you visit?

'remember c5vette you a guest in this country and you should respect its religion, customs and people'

If you did or do say that then you're one weird puppy, so why pander so much to thailand with this so over-used ridiculous statement?

PS. Not our fault that English is now THE global language, blame it on America and the power of money/commerce. Also if you don't speak English these days you're going to be left behind, just ask the French who've now realised it, so much so that English is now the language of the boardroom (read, power) in France. Almost impossible to get a good paying job with a big European or global company (in France) without good English skills. Germany's been like that for 5+ years.

Better Brush up on your Mandarin and Spanish. English is on the way out... Want to make BIG bucks in NY City? Read, Write, Speak Mandarin/Spanish/English.

You are correct, as long as US economy stays strong English will be the language of business and travel but by 2050 that may change. As the Chinese economy grows, there are 844 million Mandarin speakers who might decide that they will do business in their language of choice. Since Spanish is the #2 language for business, many Chinese are now learning Spanish. The 344 million English speakers might have to learn something new to stay competative in business.

#1 Mandarin

#2 Spanish

#3 Arabic

#4 English

Just for the record, when I'm in the UK (or any other country), I regard myself as a guest in that country and act accordingly.

For example:

The British entertainment "media" has a field day with the USA and generaly makes things up as they go along. My favorite was a "news" story in May on the newest rage here in America...it's called "anal bleaching". We are all getting in line to have our buts bleached... I guess. They even showed the procedure! I got grilled on why us Yanks are so engrossed in cosmetic surgery and law suits. They didn't even notice the ad on the tely for the law offices of so and so who would file your claim for you. It's all about perception I guess.

Bottom line is that I didn't say what I thought.(ie: YOU are the ones watching the tv showing graphic cosmetic operations, not me, oh, and did you notice the add for the legal firm or dewey, fuckem, and how?) I just smiled, shook my head and said yea us Yanks are kinda wierd.

My favorite is when the bartender says "oh your a Yank, I guess you will be having a Bud". After I correct him and get my pint the conversation now turns to the low quality of American beer. Here I have to be nice and explain that they have probably never even heard of 99.999999% of the beer brewed in the US. After the 100th time in a week this happens to me I am still polite and all smiley because I am a guest. If a bartender in the US said "hey, you look like you have no taste...have one of these", I would be out the door.

Sailfast

Edited by Sailfast

Mandarin, spanish, arabic...

Yeah, sure they've got a chance in taking over English.

Most people who speak those languages are peasants, especially the Chinese and the Spanish.

Population numbers have nothing to do with it, English is too encroached in the business/power/politics world to be unseated.

Sort of like the QWERTY keyboard, we all know it's inefficient and there are keyboard designs far better out there but it's impossible for them to catch on.

If you're Chinese, Spanish (speaking) or an Arab get learning English, or get left behind speaking your mother tongue to all the other peasants in your village.

PS. As for being a 'guest' in any other country apart from Thailand, why do I only ever hear this stupid statement in relation to thailand?

Next time you're in the English pub tell the person next to you in your best American accent that you're 'honoured to be a guest in their country' and see the look you get.

I'll do the same next time in America because I can always do with having a laugh.

Glad to see that this has turned into such a lively discussion. From my point of view, when I travel outside of my country I feel as though I must do as much as possible to disprove the stereotype of arrogant, self absorbed American. One of the ways I do this is to try to learn the language and culture of the place I'm traveling. Since I hope to return to Thailand many many more times, it seems to make sense to invest some time trying to learn the language.

Thanks to those who offered names & websites of places to start. I've heard good things about the Pimsleur method, so I might start out with that one. I'll be happy to let you all know how it works out.

Peace.

No comment needed on this one.

Your post proves my point.

The other problem I have with the 'remember you are a guest in their country.........' rubbish is that it's incredibly cynical because as a sex-tourist you are THE worst kind of guest possible.

So next time anyone sprouts it, please don't be so hypocritical and say it like it really is;

'Remember you are a guest in their country so respect their religions and customs, however also don't forget that you are a dirty sex-tourist and THE overriding reason you visit this wonderful kingdom is to take advantage of the incredibly cheap sex offered by the country's large collection of whores.'

There, that sounds a lot more realistic to me.

There are many programs on CDs that are good, but they have speakers that talk sort of fast.

The best is to buy a dictionary and learn many key words.

A good starter book is 07---English_small.gif

Spend some time with a good english/thai speaker, and ask questions, write everything down. Any Thai that speaks decent english will be happy that you are taking the time to learn their language. Remember what they say when some thais speak in funny sentences, like "your sister me" = my sister, then apply it to the thai translation of "my sister".

PM me for info on the dictionary or info.

I speak Thai with a cockney accent gov'na

probely = probally?

dialect = accent?

you are slaughtering the Queens language and grammar rules! slip that up your funk & wagnalls matey! 2guns

DingDong the grass. Reported anybody today. Tood-muek