Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I have just made a booking with Dynasty Inn (BKK) and they have replied with this;

Dear sir,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have to change time arrival to 22:30 PM.

Please fax a credit card details (or attach file via email)to guarantee the

first night room late arriving after 6:00 PM.

Guarantee form by fax ( fax number is 66 2 656 8107 or 66 2 255 4111)

For hotel : Dynasty Inn Bangkok:

Credit card : Visa, Master,American Express

Number of card :_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Please include the last three digits on the signature panel at the back of your credit card

Name :.................................................

Amount : This authority is strictly limited 1,090.-baht no additions.

Expire :..............................................

Signature :..........................................

Passport No. :.........................................

Check in Date :........................................

No charge for 2 days in advance cancellation

I am very hesitant at the least to give out my CC details in an unsecured email, but if I dont will it mean i may not get my room first night ?

Last year I arrived morning and did not get this problem. Has anyone else got this reply and what did you do ?

Bongo

Edited by bongojona

Most sites ask for that number to verify that you have the card in your possesion. It depends on how much you trust them. I gave details to Majestic Suites to reserve in advance and had no problems. Areca Lodge in Pattaya did not ask for a number in advance, but they had just opened for business. Might be different now.

It is true, most sites nowadays want the 3 digits on the back to confirm that you actually have the card in your posession (and not found a copy of one in your fathers desk :D )

It is equally true that you should be careful when making online transactions of any kind. Never send it via an unsecured Email (eg unencrypted) or use a website that is not SSL secured (in IE you can tell from the little lock that you will see in the bottom right corner of your browser, click it to see the information for the SSL Certificate.

If you don't want to give out that 3 digits, you can't do business with sites that require them as part of their reservation procedure, it's as easy as that. You could call them and give your details via phone too - or as they suggest via fax. It all depends if you expect them to cheat you and if you do expect that, why staying at the Hotel at all?

Anyway, there are a number of Hotels that do not require any CreditCard Information but then your reservation would not be guaranteed so if you arrive and they tell you "sorry we same full" that's life. The Hotels of the Swasdee Group for example hold your room until 16:00 without credit card details.

cheers

cyber

Book the same hotel with any online reservation site that uses secure servers, mostly the room price will also be cheaper than dealing with the hotel itself, due that they work with hotel room consolidators that buy huge blocks of hotel rooms at huge discounts.

Never send your CC-details by email, fax is much safer and nothing beats secure online reservation using SSL secured servers, very easy recognizable at the url that should start with HTTPS:// instead of HTTP://

Cheers,

I remember that in the past the dynasty has been accused of cloning/stealing

card details,I will not say its true but I would not give all the details.

I only book hotels through angencys as I just do not trust staff at hotels/restaurants.

Sawadee.com has always done the job for me.

I wouldnt do it. Not without a ssl hookup. You could be asking for trouble.

I have arrived in BBK and Pattaya at all hours of the day and night and never had a reservation. The worst was a 1am arrival in BKK on Dec 30 and I still managed to find a place after just a few tries, and I got a great rate.

Several years ago, I experienced the same thing. I had a late arrival so the Dynasty (Bangkok) wanted my CC information to guarantee the room. They only ask for CC information on late check-ins. I decided to "roll the dice" and not give my CC. I showed up around midnight and they had no room for me. I went to the Majestic Suite and Nana Hotel without any luck so I started walking down Soi 4 until I found a hotel. After a 18-hour flight, I had some anxiety about not finding a room.

If you've got your heart set on staying at the Dynasty, you're going to have to give them your CC information or find some other acceptable way (?) to guarantee the room. If you're deadset against giving your CC information, I'd recommend booking one night at the Nana Hotel and move the next day to the Dynasty.

Go to your local bank, open a new and separate savings account with $100 in it, have them issue you an ATM card that is linked to Visa, and make sure to tell them to limit the total spending amount(credit limit) on the card to $100. It should only take a few days to get the card in the mail. Close the account as soon as you get back home or the bank might charge you a monthly fee because of a below minimum balance. Don't just think that withdrawing all the money out will automatically close the account. I learned this the hard way when Bank of America contacted me about monthly fees on a $0 balance account. The bank might also charge you for closing it in less than a certain number of months. Each bank is differant. Make a few phone calls and ask about their fees. Just don't tell them you're going to cash out in a month(or whenever).

Giving your card info, especially the 3 or 4(Amex) number security code on the back, is an invitation for a lot of hassle unless it's got a low credit limit like i suggested above and you don't care about it. After you check in at the hotel go to an ATM and withdraw $75 worth of Baht leaving $25 for someone to steal or take care of any bank fees. When you get home and close the account you'll no longer be liable for the $100 credit limit on the Visa portion of the card(if it's set up that way). NEVER use any high limit card for anything except withdrawing Baht at an ATM.

P.S. The highest type of internet security encryption is useless if someone AT a hotel decides to use your info to rip you off.

Edited by cenctm

At the end off last year I made reservation of Lek hotel.

They asked too similar information what they are asking you now. I felt uncomfortable

and called my credit card company(Visa).

They told me that it´s a normal procedure and said it´s ok to send the information.

I did this and no problem afterwards. But I agree that its like giving them an open check. I only gave the information because cc company gave go ahead. So I guess that it´s their responsibility.

I´d advice you to call your cc company and ask their opinion.

I´ve also made numerous orders via internet also giving the same information and so far have had no problems.

I made a booking at a different place via email last year and they emailed me an almost identical form to complete for payment via my credit card. Only difference was they insisted that it had to be FAXed back to them.

My scanner has a fax function so it was easy, and no problems.

Just tell them you will FAX it to them.

Any time you hand your card to a vendor to swipe through their machine it would be easy for them to glance at the last 3 digits on the back and memorize them. Then they would have your card number as well, so there is an element of risk.

Guest Fatboyfat

Bongo

Cancel your booking and then re-book through "Scandibar" 2guns http://www.scandibar.com

1. You won't get any crap about advance payments/ cc details etc. :D

2. It will probably be a better rate. :D

3. You can have a free beer daily at the Scandinavian Bar at the bottom of the road. :beer

I use them all of the time for Soi 13 hotels nowadays and have no complaints whatsoever.

I had dynasty bkk asking for cc details. I emailed them that becuase of cc fraud I didn't want to send cc info over internet. They responded no problem they would hold the room for a 12 midnight arrival. <huh <huh

Thanks heaps for all your advice, seems this is not too uncommon.

I have decided to give them my cc details to be safe of a bed, but I have done so in two parts. Last 3 digit number in an email, and the rest by fax. This way only the hotel will have the complete info, and if someone there is dodgy, well... it could happen just the same if you are there and hand over your card.

Wow in 6 weeks Ill be there :) Tis my 3rd time to Pattaya but I feel as giddy as my first time round :)

hope to meet some of you at the FLB

Bongo

Few Days ago I decided to try the Bourbon Street Hotel in Bangkok for a few Days.

I mailed them my reservation, and that"s what I got back:

Dear Mr. Valentine,

Thank you very much for choosing at Bourbon St.

We have room available as your inquiry dates and booked your reservation on Aug 4-6, 2005.

Would you like to confirm you reservation? Kindly please send us your credit card number (Only Visa or MasterCard), name, and expiration date of credit card to confirm your reservation via e-mail, telephone(662-259-0328) or

Fax.(662-259-4318)

May we know your arriving time to check in at the hotel? Looking forward to hear from you again.

Best Regards,

Receptionist Aun.

This was my reply:

Thanks.

Sorry, but I generally do not pass my Credit Card number other than through a secure Internet connection or personally at a Credit Card terminal. Please understand!

If you want to secure my reservation through a secure CC server, please mail me the Details (URL of the server) and I am happy to comply! All other uses are considered dangerous by my issuing bank as well as by me.

I will arrive on August 4th some time in the afternoon by bus or taxi from Pattaya.

Please confirm that you hold my reservation!

Yours

Sunny Valentine

And a few hours later their answer:

Dear Mr. Valentine,

We are understand. We will keep the room for you but we need you to call to confirm us again in the morning on the day you check in (Aug 4, 2005) Do you have number telephone for contact or cell phone?

If your plan has change please let us know also. Looking forward to hear from you again.

Best regards,

Aun.

Never had any problems dealing with that anywhere in the world. But I also not have problems using my CC on a secure server, too.

Sunny

bonjojona was asking about the Dynasty in Bangkok and several have given good helpful hints for Pattaya.

I have been using the Dynasty on Soi 4 in Bangkok for several years now and have booked using my credit card by fax. As they say "knock on wood" as I have never had any problems doing so. The first time I was asked for my credit card information by fax, I too was not real happy about doing so. I was also told that it would only be used for the first night if I was a no show. If I cancelled 48 hours before my reservation I wouldn't be charged for the first night.

I did want to stay there, so I gave them the information needed. The trip was still several week off so I notified my bank and checked my credit card several times before the trip. I didn't have any charges on my card. Now what I do when checking out is let them run my credit card and they will hold for my next trip reservations.

On one trip we had plane trouble and would delay my arrival into Bangkok to the next afternoon. By this time it was less than 6 hours before my check in time so I called the Dynasty from Toyko to tell them I would be arriving one day late. They said no problem and I wasn't charged for the first night.

LeoTex

Had simular experience to Sunny Valentine.

I refused to give credit card info unless they had a secure server.

They emailed back that they would hold reservation and requested a call if my plans changed.

Thanks

Guido

Edited by guido13
  • 3 weeks later...

Never had any of the above CC questions with Dynasty Inn.....

I do give them the following details : flight number, arrival time.

My next flight in september will arrive at 04.30h AM......a bit early....but I think that would be no problem.

As to the CC fraud, Dynasty doesn't have a good reputation, I posted on the forum that my card was copied & used in Japan.......for 988.00 Euro's this month.....They suspect the Dynasty as it was the only place I used my VISA....last April.

Anyway, I like the hotel and e-mailed my itinirary, got confirmation back the next day.....nothing asked regarding CC info....!

Greetz, Jay

Had simular experience to Sunny Valentine.

I refused to give credit card info unless they had a secure server.

They emailed back that they would hold reservation and requested a call if my plans changed.

Thanks

Guido

just done the same in bkk

hotel asked for cc details or bank transfer.

emailed back saying not secure and would they hold booking.

got reply saying ok

will be in bkk in sept so will get a chance to check

Dynasty has been asking for CC details via FAX for several years (and probably not getting a lot of them). In the past year and a half they have been asking for it via email as well (as in your example). I used to stay at the DI BKK for 1 or 2 nights prior to the trip to Pattaya on every trip (12). I always sent them a polite message saying that I could not send my CC info due to security reasons. My room was (almost) always available, and I arrive around 12:00am - 01:00am.

Two trips ago they said that they did not have my room, so I walked across the street to the Nana Hotel. Not quite as nice as the DI but it had a room for about the same price. Now for new trips, I reserve a room with the Nana ( So far they do not ask for CC details). No problems to date. I would not have an extended stay(over 3 days) at the Nana, but it is a OK place to crash (with a TG - and there are plenty TGs around the Nana hotel) after a long flight.

The DI BKK lost my business by turning me away. But I still take their free shuttle to Pattaya, and spend a couple of days in the DI Pattaya.

Zeus