Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Star Alliance carriers only use round trip. These tickets are good for a year. I would be surprised if anyone offered one way at a discounted rate.

I live in Thailand and as such, all my tickets start and end there. I have never been asked to show an onward ticket but armed with credit cards I don't think it would be a problem.

The great benefit of having tickts starting in LOS is the great flexibility. They do not have rigid dates and are often completely flexible.

For example, I've just bought a return on Thai Airways to London for Bt32,500 including all taxes. A comparable fare from the UK, including the flexibility would be over Bt50,000. That is a 6 month ticket, a 12 month ticket is a few thousand baht more.

You could try a courier flight ?

Torreova,

I am not sure I understand. I am planning on moving over in the next few months with plans on returning to the US once a yr. What is the flexibility aspect of the post.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi eric,I think torrenova means there is no set date on the ticket,so you can take the return leg back to thailand when you like as long as it is within the 3 month or 6 month ticket you have purchased in thailand.Good luck.

Thai Air for example only issues 6 month and 12 month tickets when they originate in LOS. They can be dated or left open at your request. You can change the dates many times for free.

BA tickets bought seem to have the same level of flexibility although they do offer a 1 month option as well.

As I know I'll be back within 6 months, I use that option on TG.

eva sells one way tickets. price is not half of a round trip but it is substantially lower. I think thai air sells one ways from bkk to other places at a reduced fare. Funny thing round trip airfare on thai from BKK-NYC-BKK is substantially less than NYC-BKK-NYC. :D :P

When I moved here 6 months ago I bought a one-way ticket, but to be safe I also bought a full fare one-way to Singapore that would be fully refunded. When I arrived I promptly cashed it in. Never was asked though. I was worried about the airline denying boarding, they are responsible if you are denied entry into Thailand.

will i be ok to get into thailand with just a one way ticket

You should be fine if you have a tourist visa.

If you're anticipating entering Thailand without a visa using what is commonly called a "visa on arrival" - which isn't a visa at all, but simply permission to enter - the airline may deny you boarding unless you have an ongoing ticket to another country.

-redwood

Hi,

Tried to get a single from London HR For August as I will be staying for 12months but the price was nearly £400 so I got a 12 months open return on 18 Aug. from EVA for 35,000B approx £500.

Also if you are over 50 get a multi entry retirement visa £90. valid for 12 months.

8weeks to go :finger :P :clap1

Cheers Doug.

If you are under 50, get a 4 entry tourist visa GBP 100 (60 days + 30 extendable) or a multiple entry non-immigrant "O" visa (GBP 90) just by saying you are visiting friends or family and getting a friend to sign a guarantee.

Piece of piss, send off to Hull to rubber stamp http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/

Got one of these from Hull. Now I just need to convert it to a retirement visa. ch)

One of the crazy things about airline tickets is that it was cheaper for me to buy a return ticket to Bangkok from Edinburgh for the end of August rather than a single!

So, I bought the return ticket - I just won't be checking in for the return journey back to the UK!

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

My brother stayed with me in June & July half way through his stay he went to visit a friend in Hong Kong. He had the devil of a job getting Cathay Pacific to let him board the HKG - BKK flight 'cos he had forgotten to take his return ticket from BKK - LHR and they tried to insist he bought a ticket home, because they (Cathay) would be liable to take him back to HKG if he was refused entry at BKK. He managed it just, but he had to give Cathay his credit card number, in the event he was not asked for his onward ticket at Don Muang.

Stevoh.

You have had a lot of replies but I thought I would add my ha'penny worth as I have just done exactly the same thing, got a one way mileage ticket.

You only asked about getting into Thailand..........not out again..(.which is not a problem either.)

Strictly speaking, if you enter Thailand without a visa, getting the 30 day on arrival, you are supposed to be in possession of proof of a flight out of Thailand, but immigration there never checks that.

My only concern would be if your carrier would let you board, but as they issued the ticket it would be surprising that they give you a problem.

I will go with a tourist 60 day visa and therefore no return flight proof is required.

Tickets to return home work out cheaper from Thailand (than say the UK), and I have seen many one-way offers there.

• 2 weeks later...

Qantas ( One world alliance) have just issued me a one way QFF ticket BNE-SYD-BKK for half the award points needed for a return flight. There was a rider in the blurb that some countries require a return ticket but as I have a multiple non imm O visa with 6 months to run, a lease on a house in UT and cash in a Thai bank I have no concerns. Never been asked for a return ticket on any visit to Thailand.

John

the question of having a return ticket to go to thailand gets a lot of discussion on the lonelyplanet web site (www.lonelyplanet.com) in the Thorntree forum. From the comments of the many "experts" it appears that the problem is NOT with thai immigration, who never ask to see your ticket, but with the airlines. many airlines (Us in particular) will not let passengers board without an onward ticket as if immigration wont let them in (following the letter of their rules) the airline is responsible .

On booking in on an Emirates flight out of Heathrow last November (year open return from Bangkok) I was initially refused boarding as the clerk was unsure about me not having an onward/return ticket. After consulting with her superior I was then given a boarding card. I enquired as to the nature of the problem and the explanation was that had it have been a 30 day visa I would have been turned away. Luckily it was 60 days so I was OK

After a few visits I decided to spend the winters out there so bought a one way for £290.00 (again, luckily armed with a 60 day visa) and now pay around £385.00 for a 'year open return' from Bangkok. Did a check on a friends flight recently (Bangkok - Heathrow return) for which he paid 28,500 baht (£386.00). The best I could find the same flight on the net here in the UK was £780.00.

The cheapest price I ever got from the UK was £570.00 return (booking 6 months in advance) so I figure that now every third ticket is a freebie :nod

• 5 months later...

OK, I was a good boy and actually used the Search feature before starting a new thread, and lo and behold this thread appeared!

On a related matter, I just figured out that I can get 2 one-way business class tickets (1 ticket each way, obviously) for SFO-BKK-SFO for less than the usual round trip fare would have been; China Airlines outbound and Korean Air for the return. Has anyone tried booking their entire trip as a series of one-ways? Anything I need to know?