Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I asked a question here recently re the Lek Hotel. I am totally confused by the contradictory responses. Some love it and some hate it.

This was on the list of places to try and I have today received the following email from the hotel. This is in my response to 8 nights in September.

We would like to inform you room are during low season, on September 2005 standard room new wing is baht 1,000.-/night and standard room old wing is Baht 700.-/night, please reply to us again for reservation and advise your flight number and arrival time at Lek Hotel.

My questions are:

1. This sounds like a good deal. Is it worth paying more for the new wing?

2. Does the old wing have in room safes?

3. Is this place user friendly. Some say yes and some say no?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Regards

I have been to the Lek Hotel on four different visits. It is worth staying in the new wing for 1,000 baht a night. It is very guest friendly with a in room safe, great breakfast buffet for 90 baht. The rooms are huge. They have other rooms for 700 baht but the room are too small and they have ugly red carpet. When you arrive at the Lek ask to see the rooms before you check in. Be sure to reserve the new wing.

Its an ok hotel but only ok,stay in the new wing.

plus points

pool

breakfast buffet

bad points

noisy airco

soi 13[that the pool is on ]can be noisy with building works

new rooms start too look tatty soon in thailand

better stay in the areca lodge soi dianne

or the sandy spring soi 13

I only stayed for 4 nights and had no problem when taking back 1 girl at a time.

It would not be my first choice in that area but if areca and sandy were full I

will stay there again if soi13 was quite.

If you pay in advance you can pay only 850 B for the standard room at new wing

It is very good and large room, safe in room . nice location , the standard room in

the new wing at soi 12 not 13 so no noise at all, very good security thay take Id

and when your guest leave they will call you first and aske if every thing is ok .

I think lek hotel is a superior hotel .

hi teelak the LEK is a great hotel very girl friendly, they take IDs and phone when the girl leaves to see if you are ok,the pool is one of the biggest ive seen in pattaya the location is great the noise is only a bother to those sensitive to noise(and if you are that sensitive you should pick some other town to holiday in)the food was its worst aspect(my opinion)the new wing is little better than the old and both have in room safes another drawback is that the room service closes early but that is no hardship realy thge more expensive rooms are IMHOnot worth it and if you are on a budget stay in the old wing ,I was there from 1stmay till 30juneand enjoyed my stay.For my stay of 2 months I was paying 650 baht a night

• 2 weeks later...

How big are the in-room safety boxes? are they eletronic or do you open them with a key?

Im bringing a laptop with me, so it would be great if I could have it in the safety box when im not using it.

hi the safty boxes in the Lek are, old wing key ,new wing electronic,and neither are big enough for a lap top

sounds good with electronic at the new wing.

Do they have any safety boxes at the front desk to lock in my laptop?

Dont fell like taking it with me all the time, or leaving it in the hotel room.

Very few hotels have safes big enough for laptops. Bring a hard side suitcase and lock the laptop inside (out of sight ) when you are out of the room. Lots of guys have left their laptop in plain view in the hotels and not had any problems. Things are usually fairly safe in room but small stuff like money and passport should always be protected.

Cheers

Upena,

Reference TIMs Beer Bar. How much are the rooms? I spent a lot of time there during a port call 5 or 6 years ago and would enjoy going back. Planning my first trip since at the end of September. thanks, Eddie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great replies. I have a solution and here it is.

I have in fact booked a room in the old wing at the Lek for 700 Baht a night. I spend little time in the room so no issue. I have however every intention of up grading to the new wing when I get there, find out the quiet and noisy side and if I believe that the 300baht a night is justified.

• 2 weeks later...
sounds good with electronic at the new wing.

Do they have any safety boxes at the front desk to lock in my laptop?

Dont fell like taking it with me all the time, or leaving it in the hotel room.

A tip: go to the Pac-Safe web site to find who sells their stuff near you or online - they make a luggage/backpack safe that is a mesh of very strong wire that forms a bag shape for lack of a better way to describe it. The top of the bag, the open part has an extremely strong 1/8" aircraft cable strung through it with a locking mechanism and a lock. Comes in three sizes. Smaller ones should be laptop bag size, medium for a small backpack or carry on, large for the Lewis and Clark explorer types backpack.

Ok, so you slip this mesh bag over your suitcase/laptop case etc, then cinch the opening tight and lock it - it will lock in many positions thus trapping your entire bag inside the wire mesh.

The remaining cable which once the bag is cinched closed is pretty long, has a loop in the end that you use a second lock to tie to a bed frame, plumbing pipe, TV wall rack, etc. Someone cannot steal the bag unless you are in a hotel that won't notice a 80 pound girl leaving with a suitcase and a headboard or bed frame under her arm, and while alone in the room, they cannot cut through it (even with wire cutters which they are unlikely to have, it is almost impossible).

Belt and suspenders - they also sell a 2 layer cloth bag maybe a foot long and 7 inches wide, made of cloth like a backpack's, with the mesh of somewhat smaller diameter inside between the two layers. Also cinches shut and locks. Money and passport in that, that in the other bag, lock both cables to each other and something immovable now even if the little hands get into the bag through the mesh and past a zipper there is a locked cut proof bag inside.

They collapse into amazingly small packages for packing - my Pac-Safe is in a pouch maybe 6 by 4 by 3 inches.

I travel a lot to Latin America and my now ex-girlfriend discovered how getting the little paw through the main Pac-Safe mesh resulted in a stuck paw and a grip on a locked bag which was the goal. Failed miserably.

http://www.pac-safe.com/