Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I am wondering how much cash (USDollars) a person should bring to Thailand for daily useage? Sure I understand, depends on the individual needs of the traveler, just a ball park figure will do. Not to include hotel costs as those can be paid by CC card yes?

Are US dollars accepted for services?

Or, minimum cash and just use ATM machines?

Thanks,

marcortez

I myself personally like to bring travelers checks. If they are lost they can be replaced. Easy to cash at the banks. Many people like the bank cards but to me it limits how much I can get everyday. Bringing a lot of cash can be dangerous just because if you lose it or get robbed you are out the money and cannot replace it.

Forget bringing more cash than a couple hundred dollars. Bring 2 ATM cards instead. You can get up to 25000 Baht from the machines and no waiting in lines or bringing passports to change TC's. ATM's are the only way!

Cheers

Edited by irishman

"minimum cash and just use ATM machines" is the way to go.

Be sure to contact both your credit card and ATM card institutions about traveling to Thailand so that there won't be any security holdups. Also, verify that both cards are accepted in Thailand (should be no problem so long as you have a major card: credit card (VISA, Mastercard), ATM card (VISA, Plus, Star)

Edited by sabaidii2

Hi,

I prefer T.C's rarther than ATM.

For the last five years never had to stand in line to cash them, took my passport for the first time and then was given a receipt and told to bring this next time instead of passport, This place is only 100m from hotel and you get a higher rate of exchance on T.C's.

On one afternoon when I went out I spent more money than I had intended so went to try to get cash from a ATM. After running around for three-quarters of a hour I finally got cash out of the seventh machine I tried, but it would onld pay out a maxium of 10,000Bath.

This is my personal opinion. Cheers Doug. Have a good trip;.

Thanks everyone!!

Now...about US dollars being accepted for food, drink and other activities??

Accepted but a bad idea?

Accepted and a good idea?

Accepted but, NO WAY, your going to get shorted on the exchange into Bahts' when getting change.

I am a US citizen living in a foreign country and I always use the currency where I am, just because of the exchange problems.

Perhaps I just answered my own question??

Exchange the dollars or TC for baht

ATM only spits out baht

in other words, always use baht

Edited by LBJ
This is Thailand and the currency is Thai baht, not USD.

No, you can't use them except at the exchange counters.

Exactly.

Why the hell should they have to do the running around, standing in line for you?

On one afternoon when I went out I spent more money than I had intended so went to try to get cash from a ATM. After running around for three-quarters of a hour I finally got cash out of the seventh machine I tried, but it would onld pay out a maxium of 10,000Bath.

This depends entirely on your ATM-Card, not the machine or the Thai ATM-system.

Before leaving for Thailand You have to contact your CC-company and set the daily limit for using your ATM-card in Thailand, I am using a card that can give me up to 100,000 Baht/Day.

For exchanging US-dollars or TCs, there are thousands of exchange boots in every tourist center.

For example, on walking street alone in Pattaya, you will find an exchange-boot and ATM-machine, nearly every 50 meter.

Cheers,

Edited by explorer
Thanks everyone!!

Now...about US dollars being accepted for food, drink and other activities??

Accepted but a bad idea?

Accepted and a good idea?

Accepted but, NO WAY, your going to get shorted on the exchange into Bahts' when getting change.

I am a US citizen living in a foreign country and I always use the currency where I am, just because of the exchange problems.

Perhaps I just answered my own question??

Hmmm - why do you think that you could pay in USD for food, drinks and so on on Thailand? Can I pay in Thai Baht at a restaurant in New York? They wont even take 100 Dollar Bills from the 1996 series at the Bank in Thailand :D

As torrenova said - TiT and you pay in Baht. But as others said it is much easier to use a ATM or Credit Card to withdraw money and that way you don't need to worry about how much to bring too. Just make sure that don't rely on only one card.

cheers

cyber

Hi,

I prefer T.C's rarther than ATM.

For the last five years never had to stand in line to cash them, took my passport for the first time and then was given a receipt and told to bring this next time instead of passport, This place is only 100m from hotel and you get a higher rate of exchance on T.C's.

This is my personal opinion. Cheers Doug. Have a good trip;.

doolish, I think the maximum that the Thai ATM's will pay out in any one transaction is 10,000 baht. If I need more, I just out the card in a 2nd time and daw out another 10,000 baht or whatever.

Alan

doolish, I think the maximum that the Thai ATM's will pay out in any one transaction is 10,000 baht. If I need more, I just out the card in a 2nd time and daw out another 10,000 baht or whatever.

Alan

That's not correct. ATMs pay out 20,000 Baht per transaction or depending on the card can even pay out 40,000 Baht per transaction. That is for ATM cards issued by Thai Banks. With a Bualuang Premier ATM card from Bangkok Bank you can get 40,000 per transaction (but weekly limits still apply).

Having said that, it might be different for ATMs or CCs from foreign Banks though but it is not the ATM machine that limits this.

cheers

cyber

One of the easiest things I have done is to use a DEBIT card for gettting my baht gun reloaded. I currently use a Paypal debit card - so it is easy transfer money from my checking account to it (free but takes 3-4 business days). I use that as my vacation card - I know exactly what is in it from the beginning and keep track of withdrawls. I also have my checking account card as a back up and have only had to use it when the debit card has run out of money (too many beers and too many women). It is very convenient, can be used at the ATMs all over Pattaya 24/7. To me, traveler's checks are a hassle.

If Paypal isn't your thing - then just get another account at your local bank and specify that it is to be a debit account only - get a debit card and you are in business.

I try not to use my regular checking account card as money is coming in and small bits go out for monthly bills and would rather not touch it and reconcile when I get home. Plus by using the debit card, my only risk is what I put in that account. Thieves don't like debit cards - they like those platinum Visa cards.

Edited by upena

I bring cash, atm, cc cards and tc in reserve. I like having a few different ways to get money.

Hmmm - why do you think that you could pay in USD for food, drinks and so on on Thailand?

In Cambodia I used Thai baht and in Mexico they accept US dollars all over and Though not for food or Drink I have used US Dollars to make a purchase in Pattaya a couple of trips back so this is not such a unreasonable question.

My weapons of choice are Travelers Cheques and my trust Credit card

The ATM's in Thailand let me draw out 40,000 at a time

Unfortunately that helped me spend way too much last trip, hehe

Thankfully my credit card company just upped my limit another £3k

watch out Pattaya here I come again, lol

Before leaving for Thailand You have to contact your CC-company and set the daily limit for using your ATM-card in Thailand, I am using a card that can give me up to 100,000 Baht/Day.

100,000b a day?

Are you planning on replacing someones sick livestock? New vehicles for the farm? Washing machines for everyone in her hometown?

Your name wouldn't be Peder would it?

JohnnyK and Cybers1B.......

It was only a question!!.....calm down!!

Soi7....thank you for your reasonable tone!!

Just like my post was only a question - I only asked you why you would think that you could pay in a foreign currency for food, drink and services? Some Tailors sure take USD (and some at even better rates then exchange boots) but in general (restaurants, department stores,...) will just shake their heads.

But I really wouldn't bring cash, it's just not necessary as ATMs are virtuallt everywhere in Thailand (OK, upcountry you could have to try a bit harder to find one).

cheers

cyber

100,000b a day? Are you planning on replacing someones sick livestock? New vehicles for the farm?

It's not because one carries a loaded gun, that he is going to shoot someone.

An ATM limit of 25,000 Euro (Approx 100,000 Baht) is very normal for European Banks (for regular customers).

In Thailand, Siam Commercial Bank even offers a day-limit up to 250,000 Baht for good customers (Thai or Farang), on their Gold-Card.

Even the Visa-Platinum (On invite only) has an ATM day-limit of US$ 25,000 (Approx 1,000,000 Baht)

Cheers,

Edited by explorer
It's not because one carries a loaded gun, that he is going to shoot someone.

An ATM limit of 25,000 Euro (Approx 100,000 Baht) is very normal for European Banks (for regular customers).

In Thailand, Siam Commercial Bank even offers a day-limit up to 250,000 Baht for good customers (Thai or Farang), on their Gold-Card.

Even the Visa-Platinum (On invite only) has an ATM day-limit of US$ 25,000 (Approx 1,000,000 Baht)

Cheers,

Excuse me? What limit are you talking about? Certainly not daily withdrawl limits and certainly not about limits for withdrawl from ATMs unsless the banking business in europe has changed completely in the last year?

And: 25,000 Euro are approximately 1,250,000 Baht and not 100,000 Baht but I guess that was just a typo. If you mean 2,500 Euro - that would be 125,000 Baht (approx).

As for credit cards for farangs from thai banks - it is not an easy thing to get one, you will have to have a work permit and also meet certain other requirements. I think that some Banks are willing to give you a card if you open a seperate account and deposit an certain ammount (which will be the limit on your card). You will not be able to withdraw this amount, it functions as some sort of guarantee. I don't know if this is the common practice but I think some people on this board have a similar arrangement with their bank.

Yes, 25,000 Euro is a typo, meant 2,500, sorry for that.

I carry a (MasterCard) CC-card with the ATM part, from the HSBC offshore Bank Isle of Jersey, with a daily withdraw limit of 2,500 Euro/by day, worldwide.

I am living in Pattaya since 21 years and have a Siam Commercial Gold-Card (MasterCard) including ATM, without having a Working Permit, 3-months ago I upgraded my daily ATM limit on this card to 100,000 Baht via the online banking system from Siam Commercial. The top limit one can select on a Gold-Card (Thai or Farang) is 250,000 Baht/day.

Beware that the CC-part of this Gold-Card (MasterCard) is in reality a Debit-Card and not a Credit-Card, meaning funds have to be on the account to use it to pay restaurant-bills, shopping and airline-tickets. I can use this Thai-Card worldwide as well to pay for services as an ATM-Card.

The part that You need a "Work Permit" to obtain a Thai CC-card, is simply a general guidance-rule by the "National Bank Of Thailand" and not a law, any Bank-Director can over-rule this guidance, by signing and guaranteeing you, even allowing you a Gold-Card, if you are well known in Thai society and your account is in a good standing order since many years.

Never forget that in Thailand it is absolutely not important "What You Know" but much more important "Who You Know".

Cheers,

Edited by explorer

The maximum amount an ATM machine in Thailand will pay out per transaction may be governed by the maximum number of bills each particular machine can dispense. For example the ATM at Bangkok Bank in Carrefour will dispense 25 bills which would ordinarily be 25,000 baht. But during holiday periods when the bank is closed and the ATMs are not restocked what frequently happens is the 1000 baht notes are depleted, so the maximum per transaction is (25 x 500) 12,500 baht.

-redwood