Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Latest Cell phone registration Requirements

I have the 1 2 sim card that I've used my last 2 times in Thailand, but last time was in May. I've heard they are now requiring registration. Will my phone likely work when I first arrive? I'm meeting a buddy and it will be late at night. He will be trying to get his first sim card at MBK in Bkk earlier in the day. Not sure if this is going to work out too well. We were hoping to hook up that first night so as not to waste a precious party night in Bkk.

He won't have a problem they wanted everyone to register there phones but it is not being enforced your friend has money he will get his Sim Card also really no reason to go to MBK unless your staying near there or are going there anyway as you can get a Sim Starter Kit all over at any little Phone shop in Thailand.

Will my phone likely work when I first arrive?

I would guess not unless you had a lot of Baht left on it as it had been 90 days or more.

Edited by Soi7

From what I have been told, december 1st or 31st depending on who does the telling, is the deadline. If not registered by then supposedly bye bye. They should make you fill out a form if you buy a new card. I registered mine in Udon, they filled the form out and only wanted to see and record my passport details. Painless.......

John

After a couple of false starts, I managed to register my SIM in Pattaya last trip, (July).

Go to the new IT centre on South Pattaya Rd, (all the moto's know it), and go to the 1st floor. The chick in the small booth right by the escalator will give you a form. You'll need your SIM number and your passport for her to view. It's free.

Lemons

Thanks Lemons,

The place you're talking about is called TukCom, which is where I'll be heading tomorrow to buy a new phone having lost mine yesterday - probably fell out of my pocket on a baht bus! :clueless

Alan

Will my phone likely work when I first arrive? .

Let me expand on Soi 7's reply. Having recently acquired a cell phone from a generous boardmember :banghead I'm learning a few things about these phone systems. When you purchase one of those scratch off cards for lets say 300 baht, you get 300 baht of talking time and usually 30 days in which to use it. If you use 200 baht of time and then go home when you return your 30 days have expired but you will still have 100 baht of phone time. Can't use phone but when you purchase another 300 baht card you will have 30 days but now a total of 400 baht of time.

Also if you have a 1 2 Call system, they have different plans you can use. They'll put you on the most expensive one unless you tell them different.

I have registred both my sims cards. Both are the from the largest company 1,2 call. In July when I turned on one of the sims I got a text message from 1,2 that said I had to register within 90 days or service would be disconnected.

the one thing that registration has changed. It used to be that you could get the starter pack (including sim card) almost anywhere minimarts etc. becuase of registration many places stopped selling starter packs. :banghead :clueless

I've just bought a replacement mobile phone from one of the places in Tuk Com, but when I got back to my condo and tried to add more credit (bought elsewhere as the girl who sold me the phone did not understand what I was wanting B) ), I get a message saying that the phone has not been activated. Any suggestions as to where to go to get this done?

It's a Motorola with a 1-2-Call sim card.

Alan

Having recently acquired a cell phone from a generous boardmember

Emil,

Don't tell us you want us to believe that some kind board member Gave you a cell phone.

and even if that were so he would have to be a prince of a man a man of men Ect Ect :angry2:

My problem re activating the phone solved. Now I just have to register it into my name. I'll be in Carrafour tomorrow so I'll pop into Telewiz and see if they can still do it. I'm certain that if I had asked the girl who sold me the phone about registering the sim card that she wouldn't even be aware of the need for this to be done! :angry2:

Alan

Alan I've discovered that I have less problems in dealing with Thais when I either talk to one who speaks and understands English (since I don't have any Thai skills)or let my TGF handle the problem.

telewhiz is where i registered my sim card. I bought a started pack from a shop in it center but they said it would not work until I registered it and told me to go to telewhiz (about 15 meters away.) :rolleyes:

I've been to Carrfore, but I can't remember how I got there. My TG took me there. Can you give general directions from Nana area?

Alan I've discovered that I have less problems in dealing with Thais when I either talk to one who speaks and understands English (since I don't have any Thai skills)or let my TGF handle the problem.

Emil,

Agree with you but unfortunately, I was there on my own. The girl did call a friend over but she didn't speal much English either. I actually bought my top-up cards from a stall on Pratamnak Road.

Now just need to go to Telewiz in Carrefour to register it. Not a problem today as the Pattaya School of Languages where I am trying to learn to speak the language is only 50 or so yards away.

Alan

Stevescottcfi, I do not know where in BKK but in Pattaya you turn right out of second Rd and into Central Pattaya rd. It is on your left a baht bus trip away. You cannot miss it.

John