Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I have suddenly found myself with a surplus of free time on my hands and was considering spending the upcoming month in Thailand. I've made a couple of trips so far but haven't gotten past the Pattaya/Jomtien area. I've enjoyed myself more than I thought I ever could on my previous trips (and more than just the girls and drinking) and with the free time coming up would like to explore more.

What I would like to ask the board members here is with a month to kill and maybe 2 grand or so to spend (maybe more depending on my final plans), where would you go and what would you do ?

I know I'd like to visit Chang Mai and a short time in Bangkok would be great. (several days in Pattaya are a given but I want to some something more than girlie bars)

Any suggestions/comments/screaming no's and it's a bad idea ?

All information respectfully accepted,

Forever

Yep, it's a good idea.

Lots of choices depending on what you like. Here's a few suggestions to look up further - working north to south.

Golden Triangle - Chaing Mai - Chaing Rai. Great for culture- visit Myanmar or Laos, nice mountain scenery.

Sukathai - for ancient ruins.

Petchabon. Quiet, nice mountains and national park.

Nong Kai - Udon - Khon Kaen. See where all those bar girls come from - friendly people - the true heart of Thailand.

Kanchanaburi. Beautiful place. Bridge over the River Kwai - interesting WW2 history

Bangkok and Pattaya you know.

Koh Samui - Koh Pan Gan. Hip islands for the backpacker - rave - youth set. Check out a full moon party.

Phuket - Krabi. Nice islands for the more mature traveller.

I would have included a couple of days or maybe a week to one of the other countries in the region such as Malaysia, Cambodia or Vietnam...

But that's just me... :grin-jump

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you go :grin-jump

I would have included a couple of days or maybe a week to one of the other countries in the region such as Malaysia, Cambodia or Vietnam...

But that's just me... :chogdee2

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter where you go :rolleyes:

Well I am planning on looking around, trying to decide if taking a year to sit in country teaching english or some such, and didn't want to spread my time to thin.

I've been doing mostly short trips (10 days to 2 weeks) and enjoying myself but wanted to spend a little more time there before making the jump. 10 days to 10 months is a major deal and I just need to see if I could handle it when the novelty of unlimited "lady friends" has worn off.

You might check out Hua Hin--A smaller, quiet beach side city but becoming increasingly popular with farangs buying homes.

The King of Thailand also has his summer home there, so it's generally kept MUCH quieter than Pattaya--which it's frequently compared too.