Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Baht bus drivers overcharging?

If you call they will come flying. Chance to extract bribe from baht bus driver. Gonna be minimum 500 baht for them to go away, as such the threat itself usually works.

Would not bother me in the least. If a baht bus driver wants to comes after me he's going to find I have way more money than he does and in Thailand thats what counts.

Lived in Pattaya 2 years and have used baht buses almost daily. Have only had ONE instance of a driver attempting to drive off after handing him a 20 baht note for a 10 baht fare.

-redwood

Loke BigDusa, I never relinquish a bill to a driver until I see that he is making change for the bill. Always have my arm in the window and if he is slow about making change, say " Thawn krap" which is the polite way to ask for change.

Cheers

Only problems I have experienced are when the bus turns on Central or goes around the circle instead of down Beach.

Right!

I think that when they plan on taking a deviant route, they should inform you when you get on (I know,… TIT).

So, I ring the bell, I just get off, I don't pay :D and take another bus that really goes down the likely track!

First time I did this I expected to see an angry driver coming after me, but nothing happened. Did it a few times after that and still had no trouble. I think they anticipate you to doing this when they divert from the logical circulation.

Edited by amphora

Next time a driver tries it on, I should maybe say to them "mai nak tongtiaw krap" (not a tourist) and see their reaction. :finger

Alan

Edited by Eneukman

Maybe, they watch BBC World News and have seen that London bus fares have gone from 70p (60bht) to 120p (90bht) in less than a year, soon to be 140p.

Our Mayor, will certainly get London back on it's feet. :P

As you say Alan " I'm not a tourist, you know "

Edited by nidnoyham

Never had any problems always pay 10B for me and 5B for Telack i give the driver a ten and a five I say to them "OK nah" the they say "OK nah cup". Giving them fifteen lets them know you know and they know that you know that you know you could make a stink about the situation so then they know it is better to let sleeping dogs lie especially here in Thailand. Never done this with a twenty caus I know i would never get change back this I know. Life is so complicated here.

250px-Baht_Bus.jpg

Right!

I think that when they plan on taking a deviant route, they should inform you when you get on (I know,… TIT).

So, I ring the bell, I just get off, I don't pay :chogdee2 and take another bus that really goes down the likely track!

First time I did this I expected to see an angry driver coming after me, but nothing happened. Did it a few times after that and still had no trouble. I think they anticipate you to doing this when they divert from the logical circulation.

Its no wonder some of the drivers have bad attitudes towards tourists if they're getting stiffed on the fares. There are various baht bus routes throughtout Pattaya as all the drivers don't go down Beach Rd, make a left at Walking St, another left at 2nd Rd and then up to the roundabout. Its up to the passanger to determine if he's on the right bus and if they're too lazy to ask its their problem. If I visited your country and got on a bus, rode it for awhile and then saw that it was going a different direction than I wanted to go, would I be able to ride for free?

Hi

Maybe they are trying to recoup petrol increases ?

I think so mate!

Just give them twenty baht i say, what are we talking...... thirty english pence????

:rolleyes:

Actually, if Thailand is supposed to be the land of smiles, how come your average baht bus driver is such a miserable tight-fisted old scrote?  :o

Land of smiles. Now more like land of how much can I get from falang / walking ATM.

When was the last time you had a wai from TG

Edited by BigRobo

Hi,

The point is that if you just come over to Pat. for a 2 or 3 week holiday with plenty of spends you are OK but living out here on a fixed pension, have to watch it a bit. The B. bus drivers applied a couple of months ago to increase the max. fair in Pat. from 5B to 10B and were turned down and that the fare will remain at 5B max. for trips in Pat. I usually pay 10B anyway but on thinking, the amount extra paid over the 12 months for the 2 of us will be over 15,000B, the cost of 1 months hotel bill. Also if next year the B bus drivers get there max. fares increased to 10B and they start charging 20B a trip to Fal, our fares will climb to a extra 30,000B a year on on top of what we should be legally paying.

Also Thai Airlines have increased there internal flights from 200 to 300B per trip depending on where you want to go, from 1 Nov. This does not bother me as i prefer to travel be train around Thailand and would recomend it to anyone.

Cheers Doug.

Actually, if Thailand is supposed to be the land of smiles, how come your average baht bus driver is such a miserable tight-fisted old scrote?  :banana

Wouldnt you be if you had to drive around in circles all day every day?

I know i would be!

It must be so boring.

:nod

Edited by farman

No problems in this area for me. I pay in coins mostly. If I pay with a 20, I stick out my hand for change. Guess I have been lucky, no drive offs.

As far as paying extra for the girl when she is with you, makes no sense but I pay as I don't have any desire to make a stink over 5 Baht. It's all part of the get falang to pay more conspiracy. Try taking a BG shopping and watch the salesgirls encourage the BG to purchase the most expensive items available. Your the mark, and everyone wants a piece. But we can always say the magic word, NO.

Thanks

Guido

Strange how people get upset about paying twice as much as a Thai for a baht bus but never complain about paying ten times as much for a girl.

Monkey,

More of us want to get tino the pants of a TG that under the hood of a Baht Bus <grin