Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

i made a reservation at the flipper lodge for a double room with asiarooms.com, thye said if tha guest i must pay extra fee, i thought flipper lodge was guest friendly? anyone have any advice for me? :nod

Hi

It usually is guest/girl friendly. Maybe it's a mistake, or in high season they want to rip you off, like those parties at Christmas and New Year.

Odd I stayed at Flipper Lodge last christmas and there was no extra charge for guests. I booked mine as part of a package deal as well.

In fact they were probably the most secure hotel I've stayed at as they even used to phone the room when guests went to pick their cards up just to check everything was OK.

Moan alot see if that does the trick.

Last time, I stayed at the Flipper Lodge there was no extra charge for a guest. Good place to stay. Check out Urai who works as a massage girl. I give her 300 for the massage and 500 as a tip for full body to body (therapeutic) massage.

• 2 weeks later...

no guest fee in June in a suite and no in room safe, though they do have the deposit boxes with access till like 8 pm. I always put my own padlock on the box also. There is like a thb3000 fee if you lose your key so just get another key made. also important to note that the 8pm closing time for the deposit boxes doesn't apply when you are checking out. And yes they do have a guard checking IDs.

• 1 month later...

First off,

your are misreading the asia rooms information. all rooms are booked for double occupancy. extra guest are subject to a charge. i.e. some hotels charge extra if you have 3 people staying instead of 2. asia rooms puts tht disclaimer becuase some hotels have breakfast included and charge more if you have 3 people.

2nd Flipper is a dive. The have a new wing and and old wing. After you check into the "new"wing you will probably go downstairs thinking the must have made a mistake and put in in the wrong wing. Well actually no the new wing was probably new in 1982 or something. the other wing is older.

The rooms are small. you can get a 900 baht room at flipper. the room at residence gardens is 1380 and 3 times bigger besides being newer and in better shape, with better air, better pool etc. etc. :bj2

I have had thai girls tell me that the room they stay in for 2000 baht a month is nicer than the "delux" room I had at flipper. If you are on a tight budget and cannot afford the extra cash the flipper is okay. no girl is going to walk out on you becuase of the room. :cry1

But you should consider the crown vic or try to get a deal on the mercure. BTW a booking agent like asia rooms is not the best way to get a hotel like flipper. If you book diectly with flipper you can get rooms for 700 or 800 baht a night. but I would urge you to consider upping your budget to 1200 or 1300 baht a night the extra $10-15 will get you alot more hotel. :bj2

and take bigD's comments with this in mind. He complains at Mickey D's that they have unreasonably raised the price of a double cheeseburger from 49 cents to 99 cents in the last 40 years. :beer :D

and seaview at flipper??? :clap1 I don't see how.It sit to far from the beach road. check the map it is almost at 2nd road. lots of building between it and the beach. :banana :clap1

Edited by cowboy

Just returned (end of January) from a stay at the Flipper. I have stayed there 5 times. Good security, very friendly staff, nice facilities, great price.

No "in room" safe - but as others have explained - safety deposit boxes.

Never has had "Joiner Fees" and I had 2 ladies a couple nights and absolutely no extra charge.

Many of the hotels when you book through discount sites have a disclaimer concerning "Joiner Fees" many don't really apply - for example the President Group Hotels in Bangkok (Royal President, Grand President, etc) have the disclaimer about Joiner fees - but they do not charge extra.

Highly recommend Flipper and Areca Lodge.

Stayed 5 times at Flipper

Pro's:

Service

Roof Top pool service

Security (id checking)

Friendly staff

Con's:

Rooms a bit small

Building getting on a bit

noise from live bands if you go to bed early

"Seaview" is not extensive!

No in room safe but they do have a good security box setup

Overall a good deal but dont pay anymore than 880baht, infact you should be able to get it for ~750 baht at that time of year

Edited by thegrim
  • 3 weeks later...

i had "seaview" room in june. no balcony as window was sealed. I was on the 5th floor i think. top floor may have a functional balcolny. I could see the sea from my window, but the balcony was just an outcropping that the Heat Pump sat on.

Hotel was great off season. pay 5 nights, stay for 7. average price was 565 baht. roof top pool, in room oil massage for 300 baht and one hour. great way to start the day or just to relax and do nothing and watch tv while getting an oil massage.

never a joiner fee. However, getting 2 beds in thailand often incurs an extra charge i think. i have heard that, but never experienced it.

i had "seaview" room in june. no balcony as window was sealed. I was on the 5th floor i think. top floor may have a functional balcolny. I could see the sea from my window, but the balcony was just an outcropping that the Heat Pump sat on.

Hotel was great off season. pay 5 nights, stay for 7. average price was 565 baht. roof top pool, in room oil massage for 300 baht and one hour. great way to start the day or just to relax and do nothing and watch tv while getting an oil massage.

never a joiner fee. However, getting 2 beds in thailand often incurs an extra charge i think. i have heard that, but never experienced it.

and seaview at flipper??? ;)  I don't see how.It sit to far from the beach road. check the map it is almost at 2nd road. lots of building between it and the beach. :grin  ;)

You're thinking of Flipper House. Definitly a better view of the bar across the street, but the Lodge has a view of the sea.