Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Jan said we had to register our mobiles.

for terroist reasons,other wise depending on thai,farang, or incoming,

they will cut the signal.

any light shed on this would help .

thanks paul

carefour or BIG C do it .its called detact or dms.or something like that.

I sent an email to AIS (1-2-Call) about this. Here is the email reply that i got back from them. Only have to register Thai SIM cards. If you use a phone that you bring into the country from another country (i.e. T-Mobile etc) you should be fine.

Hi One-2-Call member

Thank you for your e-mail. We are glad to answer your question as follows:

This policy is issued for a security reason in Thailand and it is applied to all mobile phone operators in Thailand. However, if you would like to proceed this, you need to bring along an ID card together with SIM card at AIS branches & Outlets nationwide and Telewiz. As this policy relates to a security reason so Thai government requested a cooperation from all parties including people and distributor. This must be proceeded according to government policy and from a rule of Corporation Public Company Limited or (TOT) by December 31, 2005.

In addition, if you want to use your SIM card in the specific areas like Pattanee, Yala and Naratiwas, you have to identify yourself by November 15, 2005. If you do not do within the mentionable period, we will disconnect the service.

Additional Information : For more information of product and serive of One-2-Call you can visit website www.one-2-call.com that you can also apply for Freedom club and you will be able to check balance and validity or join in events held by AIS.

Any questions? Just dial *122# or email us at callcenter@ais.co.th 24 hours' a day.

Freedom Freestyle by one-2-call

When you purchase a sim they might or might not ask for your passport. That's all.

As to how regulary this new policy is being enforced, it's Thailand.

I think "detack" is probably DTAC, a network provider, along with Orange and AIS

So if you bring a cell phone over to Thailand from another country and use the Sim from your home country then you do not have to register it ? I wonder why it can not Explode here ?? That is some dumb shit.

Remember when they talked about stopping TV broadcasting at Midnight so to convver power as people would not be able to keep there TV's going all night ? Well what about watching DVD's ??

Thai Logic 2guns

I thought it was a waste of time to register these sim cards. If terrorist want to detinate a bomb using a mobile phone I don't think it would be that hard to find an unregistered phone or give out false information when purchasing a card. Also there are many other ways to detonate a bomb aside from using a mobile phone. Terorist wanting to do this aren't even going to be slowed down because sim card registrations.

As far as getting cut off I heard a bunch of phones were slated to be shut down soon. I don't know if they have already done this or not

I think that it's more than tracking down who exploded a bomb using a cell phone. What they (the US certainly and likely other countries as well) are doing is monitoring cell phone conversations on an ongoing basis and if they pick up any 'interesting' conversations they would like to be able to identify the parties.

What they (the US certainly and likely other countries as well) are doing is monitoring cell phone conversations on an ongoing basis and if they pick up any 'interesting' conversations they would like to be able to identify the parties.

So as I posted above a phone using a sim from outside the country would get around that you would think I don't think they know what the fuck they are doing

I think that it's more than tracking down who exploded a bomb using a cell phone.   What they (the US certainly and likely other countries as well) are doing is monitoring cell phone conversations on an ongoing basis and if they pick up any 'interesting' conversations they would like to be able to identify the parties.

Probably the most plausable reason for this is for the big companies to recoup all of those unused baht stored on sim cards that are out of the country and not registered by the cut-off date. I know that my sim currently has 817 baht on it as I always check right before I leave and keep the message that they send back to me so I know if I need to recharge as soon as I return. My 817 baht expires on Dec 22nd but I return on the 14th. all I have to do to keep the 817 baht is to add some baht to the card then get it registered.

There has also been some discussion within the Thai govt as to why they need so many phone numbers. Currently they are usng more phone numbers than the population of the country. With this cut-off they can start recycling the numbers and not have to add a new digit again.

Also, for those of you that get a sim and they do not ask for your passport/ID then you can count your card as being unregistered and is subject ot being cancelled when the cutoff date arrives.

Agreed that this policy for the simple reason of deterring the use of setting off explosives with mobile phones seems a waste of time as a stolen mobile or one from outside the country will work just as well. Especially if the stolen sim is not reported. I know that my TW has had two mobiles stolen and she thought nothing of reporting this. She just went out and got a new mobile/sim/number.

Edited by wansman
Probably the most plausable reason for this is for the big companies to recoup all of those unused baht stored on sim cards that are out of the country and not registered by the cut-off date. I know that my sim currently has 817 baht on it as I always check right before I leave and keep the message that they send back to me so I know if I need to recharge as soon as I return. My 817 baht expires on Dec 22nd but I return on the 14th. all I have to do to keep the 817 baht is to add some baht to the card then get it registered.

There has also been some discussion within the Thai govt as to why they need so many phone numbers. Currently they are usng more phone numbers than the population of the country. With this cut-off they can start recycling the numbers and not have to add a new digit again.

Also, for those of you that get a sim and they do not ask for your passport/ID then you can count your card as being unregistered and is subject ot being cancelled when the cutoff date arrives.

Agreed that this policy for the simple reason of deterring the use of setting off explosives with mobile phones seems a waste of time as a stolen mobile or one from outside the country will work just as well. Especially if the stolen sim is not reported. I know that my TW has had two mobiles stolen and she thought nothing of reporting this. She just went out and got a new mobile/sim/number.

Thanks wansman.

Good input into the sich,

what ever the reason, it want hurt to rego.