Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I've read and believe the ball travels further in warm weather. Has anyone noticed the difference from home and what the gain maybe? BTW what is the weather like at home when you play?

The ball will definitely travel farther in warmer weather. When I play in Palm Springs, California or Phoenix, Arizona, both desert areas, I'll get about an additional 5% distance with my irons. I'll get about the same increase off the tee with my driver, but since the fairways are usually drier and more firm I'll also get additional roll.

However I think in Thailand the high humidity counters this effect, as I have never seen appreciable change in my distances whenever I've played there.

Shit, I just thought I was improving ...

Seriosuly though, I noticed the same thing.

Talking to the manager of my club tonight and he kindly informed me that all measurements at our course are to the front of the green, not the center. Don't know if there's any standard in LOS but maybe worth asking.

All things being equal, the ball will typically go farther in warmer weather, as you can compress the ball and get the spring effect and the full distance the ball was designed to travel.

This is because a ball is easier to compress when it is warm as it is softer. A trick in cold weather is to keep a ball inyour pocket to keep it warm.

You may have noted the compression listed on the ball or box (e.g., 80, 90, 100). Pros often play with 100s, because there swing speed is faster. Some amateurs should never play with 100s, because their swing speed is not fast enough to compress the ball, no matter the temps.

You will find pros going to lower compressions during colder weather.

Other factors include fairway condition (length of grass and dryness), and sea level (ball will travel further at higher elevations).

I find myself in Thailand to generally hit it longer than home, however a round at Laem Chabang sticks out as I remember I was hitting well but ball wouldn;t out there.

[Talking to the manager of my club tonight and he kindly informed me that all measurements at our course are to the front of the green, not the center.]

That's good to know. Actually that's probably a better method given the yardage book should show the depth of the green.

I play with low compression balls most of the time since my driver swing speed is only about 90. Pales in comparison to TW's 130. Frank Thomas says it's the heat not the humidity, but I've always found I hit the ball longer in desert areas. Could be because of roll, but I think my irons fly further. In Miami now and the ball just doesn't seem to travel as far.

You will find pros going to lower compressions during colder weather.

Yep, always the best way to go. There was a chilly north easterly last week whilst playing KK so I dropped down 10 from the normal ball compression I use. :clueless

Worked a treat - only lost 7.

Cheers

Pie

• 2 weeks later...
Also keep in mind that Thailand is closer to the equator so there's going to be a little more spin on the ball. So you might notice that you get a few more yards driving to the east than the west.

A stupid question from a Golf newbie - What does the distance from the equator have to with spin on the ball?

Also keep in mind that Thailand is closer to the equator so there's going to be a little more spin on the ball. So you might notice that you get a few more yards driving to the east than the west.

When teeing of from a space station: Absolutely correct :)

Got a good tip from a reg golfer expat playing green valley once. For shots over water (predominantly water) take 1 iron more, he'd found that the over water shot doesnt carry as far (something about air pressure over a body of water) Have to admit it seemed to be true. as far as distances compared to UK. I have found no difference in my yardages. I think the temp dif is counteracted by the humidity. You can definatly notice a shortning of the yardages on really muggy days.

Please dont flame this, I am a reasonable golfer and I am purely staing what i have noticed through playing a fair bit of golf in Thailand and UK

Kesam1,

I've heard the same thing about hitting over water. At least that's the excuse I use after a splash down.

I'm in South Florida right now and have found the ball doesn't travel as far as in Phoenix even at the same temperation. I've read though that may have more to do with atmospheric pressure rather than humidity.

Talk about too many swing thoughts.

Just another thing on that 99 point checklist before the backswing begins. Blazer I was in Orlando in October and had the pleasure of playing both course at Orange county National. A real treat and your climate nowhere near as humid as Thailand made things a lot more comfortable

kesam1,

I've played OCN several times. Fantastic golf, both courses Crooked Cat & Panther Lakes. Most recently was about 2 weeks prior to Q-School. Real tough with very high bermuda rough and fairways narrowed to about 25 yards on shorter holes.

Actually I'm just in FLA for the winter on a project. I live in Seattle which is perfect in the summer.

• 1 month later...
Kesam1,

I've heard the same thing about hitting over water. At least that's the excuse I use after a splash down.

I'm in South Florida right now and have found the ball doesn't travel as far as in Phoenix even at the same temperation. I've read though that may have more to do with atmospheric pressure rather than humidity.

Talk about too many swing thoughts.

Me from Fl 2

Humidity=Friction

No problem this time of year though.

Warm and dry. I can slice the ball further into the palms this time of year than anyelse.