Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Why to never rely on F/Flyer Points

I signed up for the email newsletter from Valueair a while back. It's a Singapore based carier aligned with Jetstar Asia.

Fortunately I'm not a f/flyer points holder!

Have a look at the email they've sent out, effectively cancelling the loyalty program on 14 days notice. :beer

Anyone like to rate a punters chances of redeeming points on a flight in the next 2 weeks - the busiest of the year? B) :P :lol:

"To All Valupoints Users / Valuair Frequent Flyers,

Valupoints Program Cessation

We sincerely thank you for your loyal support to Valuair since our operations began in May 2004 and we look forward to your continued support in the future. However, we regret to inform you that we are ceasing our Valupoints program with effect from 13 January 2006 .

For those who possess the required number of Valuair boarding passes, you may exchange them for a return at our Ticket Office no later than 13 January 2006 . For further information regarding use of your boarding passes to make the redemptions, please visit our website at www.valuair.com.sg/valupoints.

Yours Sincerely,

The Valuair Team"

When you read the fine print of the rules at the bottom of the page of airlines' frequent flyer programs(in America at least), it says they can change or discontinue the FF program any time. That's why I redeem my miles as soon as I have enough to get a free ticket.

I have never successfully redeemed any FF or other airline club membership points or whatever - just complicates life too much for me. Tell me how much and I'll either fly with you or someone else. I want to go when I want to go and come back when it suits me and the best deal fitting my requirements gets my business.

I also object to store 'loyalty cards' and (in the UK) 'Nectar Points' - the 'loyalty' is on the wrong end of the deal. It is the store's job to earn my business and express their loyalty to me by providing a combination of best price and service. I don't ever want to be in the position where my decision to take my business elsewhere might be influenced by some silly card/points game - as Sainsbury's found out when they dropped the quality of their food and started harrassing me on the shop floor to bank with them. Same with airlines - British Airways spammed me: I blacklisted them. Simple - no FF points, no hesitation.

Edited by Tyfon

tyfon,

Obviously the guys in the US, when speaking about FF miles (mainly with US airlines), are talking about something that is very different to what we get offered in the UK.

For UK guys the key is in how often you travel and to what extent the benefits are tiered to the advantage of guys holding premium membership in one of the FF programmes. As an example, someone who flies economy UK-BKK once or twice a year is probably better off flying with Etihad who provide consistently low fares as compared to their direct competitors but have no FF programme. However, if you fly three or four times a year in Business Class than you are significantly better off flying with Qatar because of the benefits associated with its FF programme silver/gold card membership even although the flights, on the face of it, may appear to be slightly more expensive. Anything that can save you a few quid or make for a more enjoyable journey without any effort on your part has got to be worth it IMHO.

Tom

Frequent Flyer programs have been very very good to me. Two of my last 3 trips to LOS have been free and the one coming up next week will also be free. I will still have a balance of 80K miles in my account (60K = freebie). On top of that you get special seating in economy which provides an additional 5" of legroom and additional luggage allowance. All it took was registering with the ailine.

I cashed in my delta sky miles for my upcomeing trip. It was insain just trying to find a FF seat available in march. I spent over 2 hours on the phone with one of the guys at delta, who was very patient and helpful btw. I ended up haveing to fly out of a city thats 2.5 hours north of me instead of my hometown airport.

Then it was on to hopping planes back and forth just to get me out of the country. It will take from 7PM march first from Memphis (CST) to 8:45PM March 3rd BKK time just to get there. :angry:

I was just disapointed in not being able to cash in points like I was purchaseing a normal ticket. Instead your a 3rd rate citizen when trying to get on a plane to go somewhere. :frustrated

All in all though I get to go somewhere for virtualy free. Where else is better to go than Pattaya? :D

I think the FF program is as good as the airline or alliance that is offering it.

FOr the 1st time ever, I ammassed enough points on Singapore Airlines for a ret trip to LOS.

The booking was easy. Murphy's law kicked in of course, and I had to postpone my ret trip by a week. Ended up having to buy a one way ticket at retail price, and then request a points refund for the unused f/f miles.

S/airlines did give me the points back, less 25% for their trouble!

And I regard them as one of the better carriers.

One five minute call to Thai Air (London) was all it took for me to book my free flight for last November and Loy Kratong , the lady on the end of the phone was extremely helpful and pleasant and I thought it was too good to be true until my tickets arrived the following week. I still had reservations about how easy it was right up until I checked in and got my boarding card, they even gave me the seats I wanted both outbound and inbound even though they at first said sorry"all gone". I recommend that everyone join all the clubs , nothing to lose and much to gain.

• 2 weeks later...

it appears that most airlines out there have ff programs so bottomn line is wohoever you book with get there ff card never know when or how you may use it

Cheap Charley luves FF miles. I pay for two on UA and the third one is free. I get full access to Star Alliance lounges on my international trips. Free food and booze. Top shelf booze at that. :beer

I fly 50-100K paid miles per year and I'm a Premier Executive. I get to check in with business or first class, extra luggage allowance and I board the plane with business class passengers. Plus I get free upgrades and 5" of extra leg room. I always get exit row. Not bad for a program that doesn't cost me anything.

Last week, I booked a FF trip with UA and they worked with me for a couple of days to get me to BKK. They changed routing, day of return but they got me what I wanted.

Less then 25 hours till wheels UP.....

I'd have to say that a FF program with a good carrier is a great bonus. I've had one return trip from Australia to LOS with Singapore Airlines on the bonus points. Only paid for the taxes. Fuck it was a great feeling climbing out - on someone elses nickel! :beer

But these discount cariers, like Valueair, have no place hawking 'loyalty programs' when their price points make it almost inevitable that the schemes will fall over. There will always be vunerable people sucked in and ripped off.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't look good for United Airlines FF members.

"United has a looming frequent-flier crisis. The no-growth scenario and high load factors—United currently fills almost 82%of its seats—also means that the airline will be hard-pressed to make good on all of the frequent-flier miles it uses to keep travelers loyal. Worse, it seems clear that there will be a torrent of new miles pouring into Mileage Plus. Earlier this month, United moved its credit card transaction processing to Chase, the bank that also issues the Mileage Plus credit cards. Why the switch? Chase agreed to make an advance purchase of miles equal to the hundreds of million of dollars that United must keep in reserve for credit-card refunds that would result from its grounding. That means Chase will be churning out an endless series of mileage-accrual offers that United's static capacity won't be able to easily absorb."

Link