Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Bkk - USA round trip

I am looking into having my TG come to the US for a few weeks in the next couple months.

Might any of you know of good deals for round trip airfare from BKK to Chicago?

I'm also wondering about the visa requirements for Thai nationals traveling to the USA for a 3-4 week stay. Any specific requirements, or what? Or just point me to where I can find the info.

I appreciate any help with this.

Thanks very much.

SB

I owuld apply for the visa first. From all the people I know that have tried a tourist visa is very iffy. If the girl comes from a wealthy family with homes a bank account etc it will be a slam dunk.

But if she is a rice farmers daughter with no income, no property, then it is up to the whim of the immigration officer that processes the application. Most of the time it gets denied. But I know of some guys where for no particular reason immigration approved it, and BG was off on vacation to minnesota, california etc. So it does happen. You can always try. 2guns 2guns

BTW fare will be reasonably cheap. Go to the thai air or singapore air website. Look up the price of flying bkk -ord-bkk. You will find that they charge maybe 20 30% less when the flights originate from bkk rather that the usa. 2guns 2guns

The best way to get your girl into the states is to get a FIANCE visa, it take about six months to get it if you do it yourself.  It's good for three months ( if you don't get married )k but then she can return.  It only cost me 60.00

yes, but you have to get married within 30 days. This visa had major changes on it to avoid just the thing you state. At one time you could get a visa and have her in the US for a year, then send her back, then apply again, one year and so on. INS got wise and changed the visa process to prohibit bringing over your "girl" and then sending her back. Under the new rules if you send her back, even after 30 days, you'll be hard pressed to get another visa. If she over stays her visa, you'll have even more trouble.

I can't thank you guys enough for the responses.

Thanks also to those of you who commented on the visa issues. I have been a little confused about that process, and also been trying to find info on that.

So I will cease looking at a ticket for Ju, until I look into the visa application process for her. :D Kind of pisses me off though, that she can't come over here very easily. :rolleyes:

By the way, who actually makes the application for visa? Can I do that for Ju, or does she need to go to the embassy and actually fill out the paper?

Thanks again to everyone who responded and those that wanted to, but didn't for whatever reason. :D

SB

yes, but you have to get married within 30 days. This visa had major changes on it to avoid just the thing you state. At one time you could get a visa and have her in the US for a year, then send her back, then apply again, one year and so on. INS  got wise and changed the visa process to prohibit bringing over your "girl" and then sending her back. Under the new rules if you send her back, even after 30 days, you'll be hard pressed to get another visa. If she over stays her visa, you'll have even more trouble.

Actually, you have 90 days from her date of entry into the US, not 30, to get married or she has to leave the US. Flying her here will be the easy part; getting her a visa will be the challenge. In the application you are swearing, as I recall, that it is your intent to get married, so any intentions other than that constitute a federal offense that will, at best, make it almost impossible for her to get any kind of visa to enter the US for years to come.

Her social/economic status in Thailand can have an impact on the chances of getting her a tourist visa, if you want to try going that route. If she owns a home, and it's in her name, has children or other family, or other obligations indicating a definite need to return to Thailand you may stand a better chance of getting a tourist visa approved. The feds are getting very particular about visas for single women coming from certain countries, so you really need to play this one according to Hoyle. My suggestion is that you plop down a few bucks for a consultation with a competent immigration attorney before you do anything. It would probably be money well spent. I have a good friend in California who's an immigration attorney, and he may be able to to refer me to someone in Chicago that I can pass along to you.

Mescalito, thanks for the input.

I'm definitely staying away from the FIANCE visa. I do not wish to be under ANY time constraint for getting married. In fact I only want my lady to come for a visit, TEMPORARY PLEASE.... even though she's a darling and gorgeous, I'm not waving the marriage carrot yet.

So, I will be looking into the tourist visa for her.

I just find it interesting. It seems quite hard to find detailed visa requirements on the US Immigration website, without plunking down $65 bucks or some such amount for the application package.

Anyway, I appreciate the help. At least I know the direction I need to take. But I'm sure Ju is going to be dissapointed. I kind of hinted about her coming to visit in April.

Thanks.

SB

Actually, you have 90 days from her date of entry into the US, not 30, to get married or she has to leave the US. Flying her here will be the easy part; getting her a visa will be the challenge. In the application you are swearing, as I recall, that it is your intent to get married, so any intentions other than that constitute a federal offense that will, at best, make it almost impossible for her to get any kind of visa to enter the US for years to come.

Her social/economic status in Thailand can have an impact on the chances of getting her a tourist visa, if you want to try going that route. If she owns a home, and it's in her name, has children or other family, or other obligations indicating a definite need to return to Thailand you may stand a better chance of getting a tourist visa approved. The feds are getting very particular about visas for single women coming from certain countries, so you really need to play this one according to Hoyle. My suggestion is that you plop down a few bucks for a consultation with a competent immigration attorney before you do anything. It would probably be money well spent. I have a good friend in California who's an immigration attorney, and he may be able to to refer me to someone in Chicago that I can pass along to you.

Well, not having checked this out (good luck), I'm going memory. But I think it's 90 days to execute the visa, not 90 days from entry. If your friend is a IL, then I'd ask him/her. There is no implied statement on the application that you intend to marry (you can download the form). But I do know that you will be under intense review if you file for more than one visa in a reasonable time period.

BTW, I work with the local INS guys here as part of my work. During some discussions with them it's amazing just how tight they are on you bringing in some 100 lb. gal from Thailand but let 200 lb. killers walk right in...

I have 2 thai friends here in sfo area. Both of them have had a multitude of relatives come over on tourists visas. BUT in both cases their families have money, bank accounts, own a hotel in bangkok, homes, condos and businesses. When they show their paper work with verification of income, proffesional high paying job, homes, bank account, etc US immigration just stamps it approved and gives it back to them.

Notice how many items on the list of things immigration likes that a typical BG has. That's the problem. In case you don't watch the news they are constantly talking about sex slaves, and stopping the people bringing them into the US. Anybody bringing in a poor asian woman is looked at and assumed to be a sick, child molesting pervert. You then have to prove them wrong. 2guns 2guns

OK.

I appreciate all of the insghtfull reply's.

Sounds bad. I'm definitely re-thinking this visit.

Couple questions though if you all will continue to bear with me.

There is no implied statement on the application that you intend to marry (you can download the form).

How can there be no "implied statement" that you intend to marry on a marriage visa application? I would think by just filling out the marraige visa application, that marriage would be implied. Can the forms be aquired somewhere free of charge, or only pay the significant charge, before you even know what the form/visa requirements are?

In case you don't watch the news they are constantly talking about sex slaves, and stopping the people bringing them into the US. Anybody bringing in a poor asian woman is looked at and assumed to be a sick, child molesting pervert. You then have to prove them wrong.

Yeah, this is interesting. Hey, she only wants to come here to be MY sex slave. So whats wrong with that. :moon Besides, she's 35 years old.

But, theorheticaly then, what if a Thai person, female let's say, just wants to vacation in the US? No, American sponsoring her or otherwise filling out forms for her or meeting her at the airport. Or maybe she's is only coming to visit family or family friends.

I'm not disputing you guys, or your insight and experience in this area, cause I am DEFINITELY a LOS newbie yet, and will not second guess anybody with significantly more experience. I'm just a little amazed at the amount of effort it takes for someone to get into the USA.

So, again, much thanks to all.

SB

Regarding the cheapest method of getting her over if you can resolve the visa issue, I would look into the possibility of flying her over on a free ticket using your FF miles if that is possible. For me when I buy a ticket it works out to 1.6 tickets when you factor in the FF miles. If the ticket was bought in her name, more than likely those miles would be lost and since she probably doesn't fly that often she earns the miles at a lower rate.

United allows frequent flyer tickets to be cancelled and the full milage is recredited to the account. They used to do it for free. there is now a $100 charge if the ticket has already ben issued. They are supposed to refund the fees paid on the ticket but in my case they still have not refunded the money. charged me the $100 though. But it was worth it I had a business class ticket booked which is 90,000 miles. :moon :D

Interesting idea Emil! The only potential downside is what happens if the trip is cancelled. Can the transaction be canceled for a slight monetary penalty or are the miles permanently forfeited?

Don't know, but by the same token if the ticket was purchased with cash or a CC are you better off as the ticket would have been issued in her name.

With United, from USA to BKK, if you cancel before the flight, you get yopur money back minus 150 bucks. If you can prodeuce a doctor's note, the 150 dolar fee is waived.

I *assume*, whoever pays for the ticket gets the refund.

Based on Cowboy's post, it sounds like the smart thing to use your miles on her, sinc eher miles will be useless if u pay.

This web page tells you why it'll be hard for many TGs to visit the US as a tourist

US Tourist Visa

The hardest part is this

Bring evidence that their visit is temporary and that they will leave the United States after their legally authorized stay

They have to prove they will leave before they are allowed to visit.

How can they prove that? Here's how:

Evidence of compelling social and economic ties abroad

So they pretty much have to own property of some sort or be responsible for caring for a relative. The typical young BG doesn't have much of anything in the way of assets.

And the final nail in the coffin is that the US govt doesn't trust its citizens to ensure that the visitor doesn't overstay her visa:

We understand that you may want to help with the visa process. However, it does not help the applicant if you write a letter of invitation or personally guarantee his or her departure from the United States after the visit is over.

I can tell by the active responses here that many of the boadies here on Pattaya Talk, if not having dealt with this personally, can at least empathize with those of us contemplating or in the midst of the process.

IMHO, I think it gives one in my place, as a relative newbie, a warm fuzzy feeling, :2guns in that even with all of the back and forth bullshiting and sarcasm (most of it is in a friendly way) that flows freely on the board, behind it all there exists a group of people that take seriously the task(quite significant at times) of lending assistance to those of us that need it.

You guys have been most helpfull. :chogdee2 2guns

I am gratefull for the Tourist Visa link(I don't know why I couldn't find that :banghead )

....and also for the suggestions about the ticketing. I hadn't thought of that. As it turns out though, I'm about 7,000 miles short on mile for me to get her a ticket.

No big deal though. If she can get through the visa application successfully, I'll gladly finance her trip.......and see that she gets her cute little ass back home at the prescribed time. :beer

We will see what happens.

SB

....and also for the suggestions about the ticketing. I hadn't thought of that. As it turns out though, I'm about 7,000 miles short on mile for me to get her a ticket.

Check your airline's FF program partners. There are many ways to earn miles besides flying. If your with AA or UA and don't already have one of their credit cards, sign up and get 15K miles.

Want the scoop on the visa. Here it is. First off, download the forms from the US Embassy BKK website. Then go to a post office in BKK and plunk down 100 bucks or 4000 bht for the application fee. Kiss it goodbye first. Get all the papers you need from the website and go to the embassy (I think between 7 and 9), wait in line a couple of hours and turn in the papers. Get your appointment slip for the interview. It will be sched for 3-4 weeks later. Show up at the interview with photos of her house, car, kids, and big pile of cash if you did not turn them in beforehand. Expect to wait there at least about 5 hours. Have a 5 minute interview and get kicked in the balls. Shake your head in disgust at the fact that you are an American!!

This was pretty much the scenario for me and I was trying to get only a tourist visa for my LEGALLY MARRIED WIFE because we have no desire to live in the US. Guess that must have insulted them or something. Arrogant Bastards! :P

I suggest you check out www.Thaivisa.com for some very useful information. Also, the link to the embassy is http://bangkok.usembassy.gov

Tell em I said to piss off when you get there! 2guns

as vols post shows the visa process is often very irrational. But I know of some guys that showed up for interview with a roundtrip ticket for the girl. Didn't have any of the documentation that would help get a visa. Guy asks a couple of questions and bingo approved. Why??? hard to say maybe got laid the night before?? they deny probaby 95% - 98% of the tourist visas that are someone that is not well off finacially. every once in a while they let one thru.

You can always try. Given her age maybe that will help. But who knows.

There was a story in the SAn francisco papers about a chinese man. His daughter is a US citizen and he got tourist visa's for her marriage, and for the birth of a grandchild. each time he came and left no problems never overstayed etc. They apply for visa for the birth of another child or something like that and they deny him. Would have been his 3rd tourist visa in like 7 years. Does that make any sense?? :P 2guns

This was pretty much the scenario for me and I was trying to get only a tourist visa for my LEGALLY MARRIED WIFE because we have no desire to live in the US. Guess that must have insulted them or something. Arrogant Bastards! :D

We don't have any room for your wife to visit because of the millions of illegal immigrants that are now residing in the US. Our California lawmakers are now busy trying to pass legislation to allow the illegals to get drivers licenses. :lol:

Check your airline's FF program partners. There are many ways to earn miles besides flying. If your with AA or UA and don't already have one of their credit cards, sign up and get 15K miles.

If u call 1-888-289-4346, toll free, u can get a United crecit card that will give u 17,500 frequent flyer miles plus a mile for every dollar spent.. There is a 60 buck annual fee but they will remove it after a year if u ask, or u could jsut cancel otherwise.

if u do this, I'd ap;recaite it if you give them my United mileage Plus # which is 03098370527 so I can get a 5000 mile bonus.

We don't have any room for your wife to visit because of the millions of illegal immigrants that are now residing in the US.  Our California lawmakers are now busy trying to pass legislation to allow the illegals to get drivers licenses.  1luv

Tennessee did that I think about 3-4 years ago. The only positive thing I have seen on that front lately is that to get a Hazmat endorsement on a Commercial Driver's license now, you have to go through the fingerprinting and FBI check and if you are an illegal you will not be able to get one. At least they won't be driving tanker trucks anymore!!

Edited by volsfan