Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Police extortion

On my way up country to see my in-laws I was stopped by BIB and asked to contribute 200 baht to their beer fund. I refused and after 5 minutes, most of which was spent me taking the piss, they allowed me to continue my journey. Do not in any circumstances give money to these scum unless you accept that you have indeed broken some law. In doing so you perpetuate the problem, by not doing so it will hopefully die out

Try the PI on for size if you want some real corruption. Reading the daily papers is always a hoot for the viligante, coup stories, muslims seperatisit rebels, shoooting someone new :rolleyes: , or this week was a wife hacking up her husband with a bolo knife , because he wanted to move out :sh

Pay the bribe. Just look at it as a cost of your vacation. A tax or a tariff or a whatever. . . pay the bribe. When you leave the country you have to pay a 500baht airport departure tax. Do you take the piss over this? Don't be a hypocrite and a poser and a big talker. And don't try to pick your battles in Asia. Pay the bribe or get out of the country.

It's Asia. You are in a sewer. Pay the bribe.

Dana

I get about on a Harley most time over there and have never been able to find a real helmet over there that will fit my melon .... and the ice cream tub helmets they have over there are no good anyway...........so therefore I contirbute about 200 baht every couple of days to the boys in brown drinkin fund and if that is the worst thing that happens to me while i am riding a bike in pattaya I AM HAPPY!

I get about on a Harley most time over there and have never been able to find a real helmet over there that will fit my melon .... and the ice cream tub helmets they have over there are no good anyway...........so therefore I contirbute about 200 baht every couple of days to the boys in brown drinkin fund and if that is the worst thing that happens to me while i am riding a bike in pattaya I AM HAPPY!

Why not take your own ?

Joe

Joe I know its the most obvious answer but last time I took my own helmet It disappeared from the cosy bar at the top of soi 2 but hey if thats the worse thing that happens while I am in LOS im sweet!

Cheers!

Bigfella :)

Joe I know its the most obvious answer but last time I took my own helmet It disappeared from the cosy bar at the top of soi 2 but hey if thats the worse thing that happens while I am in LOS im sweet!

Cheers!

Bigfella :)

Seen it in BKK , (chao phraya )

its been scooped out and turned into a house boat .

Joe :clap2

Any relative newbie's to Thailand should NOT take this advice of "taking the piss" and unless you've got your passport, license etc then just give them 100bht and smile.

:clueless

I agree that newbies who don't know the score shouldn't take the piss. However, I have lived here for a number of years, have a Thai family and, this is relevant, a 5 year driving licence. With one of these the BIB know you are in the picture and can cause trouble for them. Thailand doesn't want any more problems to cloud the picture in attracting tourists. Another mention in the UK Press at this time is to be avoided at all costs.

I merely spoke to them in Thai and when they replied, also in Thai, muttered, " Mai khow jai". If that isn't taking the piss I don't know what is. I was steadfast in my refusal and told them in English I was happy to discuss the matter with their Colonel. Better to stand up and be counted than volunteer to be a slave. Same view the UK Government took in 1940/1 and the world is a better place becasue of it.

In future will be taking my camera to record any further attempts at extortion. And for the BIB

:beer

I agree that newbies who don't know the score shouldn't take the piss. However, I have lived here for a number of years, have a Thai family and, this is relevant, a 5 year driving licence. With one of these the BIB know you are in the picture and can cause trouble for them. Thailand doesn't want any more problems to cloud the picture in attracting tourists. Another mention in the UK Press at this time is to be avoided at all costs.

I merely spoke to them in Thai and when they replied, also in Thai, muttered, " Mai khow jai". If that isn't taking the piss I don't know what is. I was steadfast in my refusal and told them in English I was happy to discuss the matter with their Colonel. Better to stand up and be counted than volunteer to be a slave. Same view the UK Government took in 1940/1 and the world is a better place becasue of it.

In future will be taking my camera to record any further attempts at extortion. And for the BIB

:beer

I would have done the same as you BTW. I just posted for the newbies. :clueless

Pay the bribe.  Just look at it as a cost of your vacation.  A tax or a tariff or a whatever. . . pay the bribe.  When you leave the country you have to pay a 500baht airport departure tax.  Do you take the piss over this?  Don't be a hypocrite and a poser and a big talker.  And don't try to pick your battles in Asia.  Pay the bribe or get out of the country. 

It's Asia.  You are in a sewer.  Pay the bribe.

Dana

Remarks that have no currency with me coming from somebody from a country that doesn't know right from wrong. You'd know all about corruption and accepting it wouldn't you? Fiddling a Presidential election, corporate corruption on a big scale, giving out false intelligence so that you don't have to invade countries with oil without reasonable cause all on your own, Government lobbying scandals, bent Vice Pres. ect ect

Great for an American to tell me not to pick battles in Asia. Ha ha. Forgotten about Vietnam already have we? You're not too popular in PI or Japan either. I live here, it's my home, and I'll fight to make it a better place. Some of us are made of sterner stuff. I won't live on my knees.

Airport departure taxes are Government imposed - and legal! They are common all over the world. Somebody has to pay for double glazing and other measures to counteract all the forms of pollution that airports create. The alternative is to increases landing fees which means fares go up so you have to pay anyway. Whether the Thai Government use the money for these purposes is a different matter. I suspect not.

Such a simple subject and already the tough guys are perilously close to spaming and flaming. Men are so easy.

Two things:

1. I did not know that every problem America had was my fault. I learned something. Thank-you for that.

2. "I won't live on my knees." A delicious quote. Nobody gives more gifts than the fool. Who were you trying to impress with this nonsense, the newbies on the site? If you are living in Thailand you have no civil rights. That is called living on your knees. Get some knee pads.

Dana

Such a simple subject and already the tough guys are perilously close to spaming and flaming. Men are so easy.

Two things:

1. I did not know that every problem America had was my fault. I learned something. Thank-you for that.

2. "I won't live on my knees." A delicious quote. Nobody gives more gifts than the fool. Who were you trying to impress with this nonsense, the newbies on the site? If you are living in Thailand you have no civil rights. That is called living on your knees. Get some knee pads.

Dana

Are you related to skytrooper? :D

It's Asia. You are in a sewer. Pay the bribe

What an ignorant comment :D :D

My TG and I were on a Motorbike riding down Pattaya Klang both wearing helmets and breaking no laws and a Policeman that was standing at the curb motioned us to pull over. My TG just went around him. I asked her why she did not stop she said why we have done nothing wrong. I looked back he he got another guy.

My TG and I were on a Motorbike riding down Pattaya Klang both wearing helmets and breaking no laws and a Policeman that was standing at the curb motioned us to pull over. My TG just went around him. I asked her why she did not stop she said why we have done nothing wrong.

Priceless :clueless

Joe

On my way up country to see my in-laws I was stopped by BIB and asked to contribute 200 baht to their beer fund. I refused and after 5 minutes, most of which was spent me taking the piss, they allowed me to continue my journey. Do not in any circumstances give money to these scum unless you accept that you have indeed broken some law. In doing so you perpetuate the problem, by not doing so it will hopefully die out

So it is OK to bribe them if you have broken the law?

As other boardies have stated, if you live LOS and know the score you can pick your fights. However this might not be good advice to tourists. Most of the people who read these posts are tourists.

No one has "Rights" until they get to court. That includes the USA or Britian or anyplace else.

If the guy with the gun, club, mase, tazer, handcuffs, and radio to call more of the same decides it's time for you to be on the wrong end of an ass whipping I suggest you put your head between your legs and kiss your ass goodbye.

Granted, you might win in the end. Good luck.

Small bribes are common in many countries where the cops are paid very low wages. If you travel you better get used to it.

I think the fact that you posted your suggestion on a board made up of mainly tourists and some expat's who, with the exception of yourself, go out of their way to help, shows just how much of a dim wit you are.

You're bringing your political views into the equation dims your 20 watt bulb of a brain even more so. However, you have a "right" to your opinion. :beer

Sailfast

Edited by Sailfast
  • 2 weeks later...

Bagwan, one could argue that the 5 minutes you wasted with the police were worth more than 200 BHT. However, I too don't like to be taken advantage of, and I might very well have done the same thing you did, but in the end you have to ask yourself whether the hassle was worth the savings.

Remarks that have no currency with me coming from somebody from a country that doesn't know right from wrong. You'd know all about corruption and accepting it wouldn't you? Fiddling a Presidential election, corporate corruption on a big scale, giving out false intelligence so that you don't have to invade countries with oil without reasonable cause all on your own, Government lobbying scandals, bent Vice Pres. ect ect

Great for an American to tell me not to pick battles in Asia. Ha ha. Forgotten about Vietnam already have we? You're not too popular in PI or Japan either. I live here, it's my home, and I'll fight to make it a better place. Some of us are made of sterner stuff. I won't live on my knees.

Airport departure taxes are Government imposed - and legal! They are common all over the world. Somebody has to pay for double glazing and other measures to counteract all the forms of pollution that airports create. The alternative is to increases landing fees which means fares go up so you have to pay anyway. Whether the Thai Government use the money for these purposes is a different matter. I suspect not.

Wow. that hurts,I lost two family members in the viet nam war! I also have four beautiful thai daughters ,and a very devoted thai wife. please be more sensitive with your remarks. i happen to be american ,and agree with most of your point ,but please try to be more conciderate of one's patriotisim . war is hell !!!! thanks ,jack

Up in Issan I was continually being stopped at check points for licence check etc. As my headlight is hard wired in ( always on when the bike is runnng), and I always wear a full face helmet and have a 5 year licence there was nothing they could get me for. Once they asked for the Registration book but I had a copy under the seat. They would wave me away with a surley flick of the wrist.

One thing that always puzzled me was the question whether I had a Thai wife. I always said no until a friendly cop said to say yes. This shows a bit of commitment to Thailand.

Since then whenever I am pulled over the one cop that can speak english looks at my licence and then asks about a Thai wife. All grins and a happy wave goodbye once I say I have a Thai wife. The last one asked about a baby and I told him the wife was 6 months pregnant. Thats two Thai names I have to remember now.

John

• 2 weeks later...
Strewth,are you tight or what?

Two hundred baht was the going rate nearly thirty years ago!

Can you imagine any other tax anywhere in the world not increasing by at least the inflation rate?

Just pay up you dickhead!

No way...1988 had me handing out 100s for traffic offenses whether real, imagined or created. Stop me and take one was the going principle, which resulted in a few to-dos (when they demanded more), but was never guilty of parting with more than a single.

18 yrs down the road and 200 seems fair, but only if I know or concede that I may have committed an offence, and every stop in the past 5 years has been legit.

By contrast, somebody mentioned the PI (lived there a year)...sure, if BiB stop you in PI for whatever reason, best advice is sauwow and have your road tax ready.

leemo

• 2 weeks later...

I go Petchabun to Pattaya a couple of times a month 500mk each way and I know where most of the BiB hang out so keep an eye open but when they do stop me always for speeding I pay with a smile say maipandri give over 100bhat or 200baht if they insist on giving me the paper. ;) But all it is in my opinion is a get there quick toll. Apart from that can anybody tell me the official speed limits for CARS on the various roads and where does the within city limit finish. Remember the speed limits are different for pickups, lories and motorbikes

One final thought about 28 Thai speeding fines = one UK speeding fine but still no points

Edited by mgc

Good on you bagwan for standing up to the corruption :clap1 these parasites get away with it from weak farangs who pay up too willy nilly :rotflmao if you have not broken any laws stand up to the fuckers.i spent 2 hours in a local police station up country until they gave up and let me go without a fine which was trumped up in the first place.i can understand them fining guys for reckless driving/riding or those clowns who ride around without a helmet on.

they have been getting away with this for years only because weak people who are shit scared of any cop :rotflmao pay up with a smile :cry1 its weak arseholes paying them that keep corruption flying high in Thailand,its increased the last 8 years or so because of the new breed coming to thailand with no idea how to stand up to the local cops who attempt to play on the farangs fear of them.these guys remind me of newcomers to the prison system :rotflmao they sit in their cells all day shit scared to go out in the yard for some excersise :cry1

the foot :rotflmao