Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 133 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Areca lodge at B1600 during high season was, in my opinion, a good value. Very guest friendly (they take IDs of all guests and make you sign as well), the hotel offered all the amenities one might expect from a 3-star hotel. Breakfast from 6 - 10 am was excellent with a combination of both Western and Thai foods. Plenty to eat buffet style assured you could fill up in anticipation of the long day ahead. 2 pools on site. The one in the back is by far the best as it has a jacuzzi and attendant service. The pool in the front is not as nice but still clean/ok.

The lobby is fantastic with it's open-air atmosphere. You can feel the breeze rushing in and they serve you a cold drink as you wait your turn to check in. The rooms are very clean and reasonably spacious. Tub and shower included. In-room safe and balcony (with mine). Beds a little hard but very big. many channels on telly if you're into that. bathroom spacious and functional. Room attendants very good, including folding of clothes and safeguarding of valuables left about. Tip early and well and you will be rewarded with extra towels, soap, folding, etc... had one day where mini-bar was not costed, but don't know if that was an accident or a favor.

In room safe and on-site internet made this a comfortalbe stay. Blowjob bar called Lolitas right across the street as well as a Go-Go (champagne a go go)? where I found good lookers the nights I went. A few beer bars on the SOI as well as numerous mini marts, pharmacies, laundry facilities, etc. A very nice inexpensive beefeater restaurant right down the street where an excellent steak can be had for less that B500. Mike's Shopping mall is very close by as well as several places to make overseas call at cheap prices.

Would definitely recommend this place to anyone, though the price might be a little high compared to comparable hotels. Areca Lodge was a big hit with the TGs and I liked it as well.

Did you ever have any problems drunkenly crossing 2nd road late in the evening? That's my one big fear of staying at Areca.

Yes, I certainly did. Just attach yourself to a Koon Thai and when they move, you move (quickly).

Great report Tengotodo!

I love Areca and am very disappointed that they are booked-up for my upcoming trip.

Now I'll admit it, I'm a relative cheap charlie when it comes to hotels and stay in the least expensive Areca rooms that doesn't have a great view. I don't spend a whole lot of time on my balcony so why spent the extra cash for a view of a pool. At about 1000 baht low season it was a great deal. Everything Tengotodo said was correct.

Where I differ is that I don't think you get a lot more at Areca spending up to 1600 baht. The larger rooms aren't too impressive and I can do without a view. Many lower priced hotels have safes like Sabai Inn.

Imho there are better choices at the 1600 baht level.

Oh, and I managed a drunken weave from a beer bar arounf FLB to Areca at 3 or 4am and made it home alive.

One note of caution though about that night; security maybe lax. I had a pyscho barfine from several days earier show-up at my room around 4am pounding on my door. Freaked me out.

Maybe it's not an issue. The pyschos will probably always find a way in I guess but in my drunken state it was very alarming. :banghead

When I stayed there no in room safe in front wing. Despite many TV channels no ESPN or Star Sport in rooms. If neither of these things bother you it is an excellent place to stay. :banghead

My friend and I stayed there last November, definately recomended, and very girl friendly :nod

Make sure your girl has a Thai ID card though, as one girl I took back was from Laos or some where, and they said that as she did not have a Thai ID she could not come in and that it was a policy put in to protect the guests. All the girls have to sign in and out, stating where they work, and leaving thier ID card. In my opinion, a good idea.

Flash Basbo

Where I differ is that I don't think you get a lot more at Areca spending up to 1600 baht. The larger rooms aren't too impressive and I can do without a view. Many lower priced hotels have safes like Sabai Inn.

....................................................................................................

When you refer to "safes" at Sabai Inn do you mean in-room safes or safety deposit boxes at reception. Just been on their site and there is no mention of in-room safes.

Anyone able to confirm whether Sabai Inn has an in-room safe? Sometimes it proves difficult accessing safety deposit boxes that are situated in reception areas of hotels - only accessible at certain time of day etc.

Thanks

When you refer to "safes" at Sabai Inn do you mean in-room safes or safety deposit boxes at reception. Just been on their site and there is no mention of in-room safes.

Yep, Sabai Inn rooms have safes or at least my room this summer had one. It was there basic room too.

Flash Basbo

Thanks for the info. I would have thought it a good idea if Sabai made this clear on their website. I think a lot of boardies are heavily influenced in their choice of room by the safe as opposed to safety deposit box issue.

Very useful information.

My friend and I stayed there last November, definately recomended, and very girl friendly :cry1

Make sure your girl has a Thai ID card though, as one girl I took back was from Laos or some where, and they said that as she did not have a Thai ID she could not come in and that it was a policy put in to protect the guests. All the girls have to sign in and out, stating where they work, and leaving thier ID card. In my opinion, a good idea.

You call that girl friendly? Not sure the girls would agree. :allright

You call that girl friendly? Not sure the girls would agree.  :allright

Girl Friendly in respect that they do not charge extra for admitting the girl, and safe for you, as you have the knowledge that, if they do a runner with any of your possessions, they have her ID card and place of work recorded at reception. Maybe that is not 100% safe, but what is ? certainly better than some places. The current price is 1100 Baht a night, and they did not charge extra for my guest at breakfast, not sure if that is always the case, or if I was lucky. :cry1

I stayed at the Areca in late October 05. It was a pleasent stay, the room was decent sized, staff friendly enough. Had no dramas with the room itself.

My only concern was the counter staff's insistence I pay for phone cards and internet by cash and not charge it to the room, always the hustle I guess.

Security was good, a TG didnt have her i.d - she wasnt allowed in, simple as that.

Internet was pretty shoddy most of the time but seriously it isnt an issue if your jus checking the odd email or the board.

Highly recommended. I didnt have trouble crossing 2nd road all that much. Might stay there in April or might venture to another spot.

Areca is a nice place . Actually , the only think I don't like about the place is having to cross 2nd road everytime you go to walking st.

Pain in the arse.

Best way to get to Walking street is to go to Soi Buckaow (spelling) and get a Baht Bus that goes right (as you come from Areca side) this goes to the Traffic lights at the corner of Beach Road and Second road.

It saves you going to 2nd road, going up to the top on a Baht Bus and the whole way back down beach road to reach Walking street