Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

State of Thai Airways Planes

well ive always found them ok on the same route! they have refurbished business and first i think, not too sure about economy! but as i say ive always found them ok hust dont like the fact econ doeant have individual seat-back-screens! not being funny but if you think they were crap last time you flew you could have maybe booked eva-airs all new 777! they are good wenyt with them elite class in october!

no idea of the cost of an upgrade sorry! but have you got enough miles in your r.o.p. to get an up-grade award/ if you do buy an up-grade at the airport mate let us know how much it cost as im going over at the end of march! good luck mate!

up-grade at the airport is approx £440 one way. This is from economy to business.

Double that if you want 1st class.

For people not working in £'s times 440 by 70 for baht.

Am absolutely not a cheap charlie but who can justify wanting to pay £440 extra one way ??

Its gets there no quicker and £440 buys one hell of a lot of lady drinks/bar fines etc.

Chivas

Chivas,

If you are travelling to LOS often enough to maintain a top tier membership in a decent FF programme the real cost of biz class flights quickly comes tumbling down. I travel with Qatar and the average cost per flight (all biz class) probably bottoms out at around 900-930 quid all in after using my airmiles (China Airlines probably works out at around 750 quid all in for biz class if you use your miles properly).

On the original question about Thai - they are still using the same aircraft with the same old, tired seats and decor that belong to air travel of the early 90s. With EVA curently available for around 410-415 quid on its new aircraft I would not even be considering Thai unless their daytime flight from LHR was of particular importance.

Tom

Tom,

Am a Gold card member on Eva but have switched to Thai for next months trip for two reasons.

Firstly the days of cheaper tickets on Eva are over mainly as there utilising the 777 with hundred fewer seats than previously.

There are cheap seats about but even westeast could only come up with £515 inclusive on Eva.

Thai was £435.

Secondly no matter what anyone from Eva says the seats in economy are somewhat smaller than previously on there 747 with aisle seats now having electonic boxes under the seats in front seriously reducing leg room.

Chivas

• 2 weeks later...

Chivas

Tom has put a lot of good info about this in the Etihad forums. Apparently the new EVA 777 economy seat has 33" legroom when the old 747 was 34. I have not seen an increase in EVAs pricing (yet). EVAs prices for April are £411 inc taxes from LHR-BKK with the exception of outbound on the Easter weekend.

http://www.cheap-flight-deals.blogspot.com

Whitespider,

You are absolutely correct in Eva's new pitch being 33" in economy.

Unfortunately that only tells you part of the story.

Firstly-the bottom area of the seat now shoots forward on recline immediately whacking your knees into the seat in front even if medium height.

Secondly-they have installed a mega footrest with a one and half inch diameter which now sits right on the shin area if not deployed.

Thirdly-as previously mentioned 3 out of the 4 aisle seats now have electronic boxes under seat in front meaning you,re going sideways into the aisle if trying to stretch out.

Since previous post Westeast prices on Eva have come down to Thai level.

Chivas

Edited by Chivas
One thing to remember is that Thai are not fly direct to BKK at the moment. You have the 2 hour stop over in Copenhagen.

But I am not sure if this ALL flights but is defiantly worth checking as you are paying for a direct flight.

Thanks for the info. I called Thai and they said at present only Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evening flights are stopping over.

She also said the BAA have notified them that next week only one flight would need to stop, this is subject to change though.

Thank god i'm flying saturday morning :)

Chivas

Tom has put a lot of good info about this in the Etihad forums. Apparently the new EVA 777 economy seat has 33" legroom when the old 747 was 34. I have not seen an increase in EVAs pricing (yet). EVAs prices for April are £411 inc taxes from LHR-BKK with the exception of outbound on the Easter weekend.

http://www.cheap-flight-deals.blogspot.com

Nice website shame I am not in London

Chivas

That is good info' re the new EVA planes. I have used EVA a lot in the last few years - mainly because Thai's standards have slipped so much, from crappy planes to surly attendants (something unheard of a few years ago).

I prefer to travel BA but found I could get EVA Evergreen at about the same price as a BA economy.

Some people have said that Thai Airs food is better - I would agree as far as the set meals go but BA have a permamnet galley where you can get up and help yourslef to sandwiches and beer etc at any time. Also EVA have similar with good "pot noodles" available.

• 2 weeks later...

I was just going to report that, that TG new planes (maybe only airbus, not sure about boeing) now have individual inseat screens and on the airbuses intl power adaptor underneath the seats even in coach.

Even Singapore Airlines dont have that funtion yet but SQ is currently rolling out internet access in the pacific rim flights on boeing planes. I dfont think TG has that in their thoughts yet.

Imagine on a 10-14 hour flight home you could write and file a trip report b4 you hit home.

Edited by Floyd