Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

International medical/medvac insurance

I am in Thailand on a retirement visa and I currently have a medvac-only plan ($500/yr) and a separate health insurance policy for the States. But I am thinking of doubling up on medical insurance with a policy that would also include medvac and I would drop the other medvac plan.

Does anyone have any experience with an international health insurer? Have you made claims with good results? Can you recommend a company?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

You may have specific reasons for this, but I'll offer the thought that Thai medicine is pretty much first class. If you have an emergency it may be just as safe having it dealt with locally than enduring a 48ish hr evacuation process to get to a US hospital, that may or may not find you in better shape for treatment than two days prior.

Here in the US...only Preferred Provider Plans(PPO) insurance carriers such as Blue Shield and Blue Cross offer coverage worldwide.

Both medical insurances have webistes...google them and they do have customer support services. I know I had a problem in the Philippines, and I had to undergo a procedure, with prior authorization, it was paid for including hospital stay. They also do reimbursements but always get prior apporval if you are unsure. Good luck to you mate.~

Google "Allianz Mondial", a big international French insurer. They have budget rates from about 1$ a day. They are cheap because they exclude things like vehicle drivers (but not passengers), bungy jumpers and other idiots.

This insurer actually handles most medvacs in Thailand for other insurers. And a medvac decision IS ALWAYS made on a cost basis, not on a life saving basis. It is almost always cheaper to keep you in a Thai hospital than to fly you home on a stretcher with medical support (unless you are diagnosed as a vegie for life!).

Finally, once you can crawl down the hospital exit ramp, a medvac is out of the question. You're on your own Charlie! Careful what you sign during discharge.

Caveat Emptor,

Ronno

I use this firm: http://medjetassist.com/ as they only specify you have to be one day as an inpatient, there does not need to be a medical reason for evacuation and they take you to where you name vs. the "next best or better" place. Obviously for a skinned knee or broken leg ( unless it is severe and needs orthopedi curgery), even an inpatient won't trigger an evac.

I pay an annual fee of US$200 but they do offer expat rates for US$540. Mine covers up to 90 days out of country which is more than enough. They will fly anywhere the US is not embargoing like Cuba or Libya as long as they can land a private jet.

Many medical policies differ with evacuation as a last resort only and then only to a better spot. I like the idea of one day in a hospital and then going home in a private jet.

Other feature: no pre-existing condition waivers needed unless you are over 75.

Note they also will relocate you from within your own country to your home state or province if you want as long as you are over I think 150 miles away from home. In Canada it doesn't matter as we have nationwide medical for free but in the US it might.

Owen

I tend to agree with you. In the unfortunate event of a health crisis, its probably better to seek treatment locally and quickly rather than enduring a long trip to a far away medical facility.

This raises the question of what medical insurance cover is available in Thailand to help defray the costs of hospital and other medical bills incurred in country. I will move to pattaya soon, and medical insurnace is one area that I really need help with.

regards

Rod :clueless

i Personally use BUPA Blue cross international. Different levels of cover depending on what you want to spend.

I have visited a hospital with my girlfriend and the treatment was first class. I was paying :thumbup better than most western hospitals (private room with own nurse taking care of just my girlfriend) . So unless you have your own reasons I agree with Owen in saying that you may find the Medivac insurance OTT.

In thailand if you have the money or insurance they are up there with the best of the west. (from my experiences)