Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Advice for a tall person

Hi Guys

I am planning a five or six week trip, probably leaving in June. I visited Pattaya four or five years ago and had a fabulous time, due to other committments I haven't been able to return until this year.

The one thing that really puts me off coming back is the flight - I am 6 foot 5 (195cm) and on my last visit the trip killed me. I flew with Thai Airlines in cattle class and suffered big time. For this trip I have decided that I will pay extra and travel in a bit more comfort and that it where I hope you guys can advise. I have read a great deal on this forum about EVA Evergreen deluxe. I was wondering if you guys think that i would be fairly comfortable in Evergreen or whether it may be worth paying even more and going business class. I priced the flights a few weeks ago and could get EVA for about £750 and business class for just over a thousand pounds both flying out of Heathrow. Believe me I would much rather travel in cattle and spend the money in Pattaya but the thought of being in such discomfort again makes me think the extra expenditure is worthwhile.

Anyhows thanks in advance for your help and any advice particularly from fellow tall people would be greatly appreciated. I love being tall but when I fly I so so want to be Gary Coleman's height!!

thanks again

James

Have a talk to your travel agent and see if you can get a seat behind a exit door as there is gap between seats to allow free flow.

Should be enough room to realy push your legs out .

Cheers

most airlines will tell you that you cannot book the exit row seat until the day of the flight...and in person...but if you can sweet talk, tell them how tall you are...you should be able to swing it....call the airline directly and talk really, really nice.

I have flown EVAs Evergreen Deluxe class 5 diffferent times roundtrip across the pacific. I am 6'4" and I find that the extra five inches of space makes a huge difference.

The vast majority of reservation agents do not have the 'authority' on the computer reservations system to allocate to emergency exit rows and a few other choice seats. This is normally invested in the airport location (and is the case with EVA's LHR route) so it may be worth speaking to EVA's station manager at LHR - the telephone number is on the airline's website.

If you are looking to stretch out a bit, China Airlines Dynasty class thru' AMS is probably a better bet than EVA's premium economy at that sort of price range. If you are looking to invest a couple of hundred quid extra and pay for biz class Qatar from either LHR or LGW and Etihad (only the LGW route) appear to be the best value for money.

Tom

Edited by CheshireTom

An exit row in coach should make things a lot more comfortable. At least that's what works for me. I'm 6'3". But the best is a row to yourself. I am always on the lookout for that.

Eva deluxe will normally be all the room you need. I'm 6'5" and usually don't have any problems but be careful of some places. There are a couple of exit seats that are right next to the door and with the curve of the plane you will have about 2 inches of knee room on the window side (try flying 14hrs with your legs crossed). Also the front rows are not really best for us tall people. Yes they will have more knee room but that front wall goes all the way to the floor so there will be no room for your feet.

Someone posted a link to the eva delux seating plan. That should help

Edit: found a seating chart link

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/eva...le/Fleet_facts/

Edit2: http://www.evaair.com/image/global/chinese...47-400-386a.jpg

Seat that had no leg room for me 27A. Seats with no feet room for me Row 35.

Dream seats - 27C/D/G/H, 26.

Edited by cmagrad
Eva deluxe will normally be all the room you need.  I'm 6'5" and usually don't have any problems but be careful of some places.  There are a couple of exit seats that are right next to the door and with the curve of the plane you will have about 2 inches of knee room  on the window side (try flying 14hrs with your legs crossed).

Got that seat as a mileage upgrade on my return from the States in October :clueless Irony was that the adjacent aisle seat was occupied by a 5' 5'' Thai guy :rolleyes:

-redwood

Hi Jonty, I have a problem also but mine is I'm just a fat git so I also need all the room I can get, it is possible to book a seat on Thia that is the first row after the bulkhead separating the economy from deluxe this seat is much more roomy than the rest,the draw back is that this is also where they put the families with small children as there is a cot holder on the bulkhead in front of the seats(shows how much room there is)and you could get a crying baby(hasn't happened to me) all the way there and back,it worries some but not me,and could be a cheap way for you to fly if it doesn't bother you.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I will plump for EVA delux and try and avoid the seats near the door. I have found a decent price on ebookers. Can anyone tell me if you can book your seats when booking with ebookers or is it easier to give EVA a ring nearer to departure??

Thanks again :beer

James

Edited by jonty1973

EVA cancelled my front row exit seat when I booked online and reassigned me to one on the aisle but of course samwhiched up . I might get to change after boarding; it would seem they would just put that seat off limits on the website :beer

Another question and quite probably a stupid one - if i booked through ebookers or expedia I guess i wouldn't be eligible for eva mileage in their frequent flyer program? Is it worth me paying a little extra via eva's website to get these points or should I just take the lowest fare via ebookers??

Many thanks once again

James

My advice is to try to reserve a bulkhead seat and arrive at the airport 3.5 hours early and try to get the emergency row.

If you are flying Thai, try this. Tell a pattaya travle agent you will give them 500 baht if they can book you in your favorite row. Managed to snag Row 44 on the BKK-JFK flight that way. Row 44 on that flight has a bulkhead that's bigger than I've ever sen.

2 points

1. Evergreen deluxe is fine for me and Im 6'3. I would guess that 6'5 would be fine but of course Business would be better. I doubt necessary though.

2. I use e-bookers for EVA and always get the frequent flyer miles - thats not a problem.

I will try to make this simple for your inquiries about seats for a tall or large person.

Eva in my opinion is the best value for money on their Evergreen deluxe class. It is approximately about $950. Although right now till March 31 you can book it on Eva's website for $750-800 which is an excellent deal.

Evergreen deluxe class seats are spacious and comfortable for anyone larger than the normal asian size. I flew Eva in November and would definitely fly them again when price is a consideration too.

Business class in any airline is much much better than coach anyday. But keep in mind that prices are usually more than double that of economy. The lowest price I have seen for LOS biz class was $2500 at least. Unless you are upgrading with miles or using frequent flyer miles for a free ticket, I would rather pay Eva's deluxe class. As they say, you get there at the same time, as the first and biz classes. The ptich of the seats and the width of the seats are significantly better than economy, not to mention the food and service by the ladies. Liqour is also free flowing if you desire.

I do fly biz when I can with miles for an upgrade, and I can say the service is very good and anyone can get used to that. I would still fly Eva when with friends, due to their budgets being a major consideration.

I would not take the chance of of booking economy and hoping and praying for a bulkead seat. I have done this and I can assure you that it can be a nightmare for a lasrge or tall person when they tell you that they cannot accomodate you and they will be putting you near an exit row instead. Keep in mind, will you want to be cramped for a minimum of 14 1/2 hours. Or would you rather arrive relaxed and rested???

Fly Eva deluxe for value for money, fly biz class if you can afford it. Simple enough.