Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi all.

My asthma is well managed, but I do need my two inhalers.

I plan to ask my Doctor for a triple perscription, just before I leave, so I should have enough. However, I will be in big trouble if I lose them or run out.

Do Boots or any other pharmacy, sell asthma inhalers over the counter? OR will I need to see a Pattaya doctor first, in order to get a perscription?

Thanks

Hi,I don't specificaly know about Inhalers,but I needed some other medicines ,only available in uk on prescription,and I just showed the chemist in BIG C the meds and he gave me the stuff no problems ,so should be no problems with inhalers.

Friend of mine is an asthmatic and buys inhalers here in Pattaya. What specifically are you looking to buy? He'll likely know if they're available here and best place to buy re price.

-redwood

Friend of mine is an asthmatic and buys inhalers here in Pattaya. What specifically are you looking to buy? He'll likely know if they're available here and best place to buy re price.

-redwood

Hi

1. SALBUTAMOL 100micrograms/inhaler (reliever) 200 dose.

2. BECLOMETASONE DIPROPIONATE 100micrograms/inhaler (preventative) 200 dose.

In England, one is a brown inhaler and the other is blue.

Any feedback really appreaciated.

Both of those inhalers and many others are available in Pattaya at most of the Pharmacy stores without any prescription.

I always stock up while in Pattaya and as a result I have them all over the place. The price is similar to the UK however, it saves the hassle of getting a repeat prescription.

Both of those inhalers and many others are available in Pattaya at most of the Pharmacy stores without any prescription.

I always stock up while in Pattaya and as a result I have them all over the place. The price is similar to the UK however, it saves the hassle of getting a repeat prescription.

It surprises me that the price is about the same as the U.K.

How do the Thai's afford the drugs? Say a policeman on 11k baht a year - how could he afford say 400 baht on one inhaler?

Maybe there is a Thai price and a ferrang price?

Whilst not checked exhaustively,the 100 dose inhalers were readily available for salbutamol. Didn't see 200 on the shelves. The brown inhaler is not actually called "Beclazone" (as I suspect you know it as),so check the actual stuff is a preventative and not a reliever. Plenty of pharmacies around though,so you are sure to find it.

My mate says that BECLOMETASONE DIPROPIONATE is not readily available here and most pharmacies will substitute a chemically different drug for it when asked. It can be found here but only at very few pharmacies. Prices are the same or a bit more than in UK. Cost per month would depend on usage. My mate says he needed a lot more medication when he lived up country especially during the period when they burn the rice fields.

Re the high cost of drugs for Thais, if you've read the board for any length of time you'll know the cops at least have ways of supplimenting their income. :banghead

-redwood

Edited by redwood13
My mate says that BECLOMETASONE DIPROPIONATE is not readily available here and most pharmacies will substitute a chemically different drug for it when asked. It can be found here but only at very few pharmacies. Prices are the same or a bit more than in UK. Cost per month would depend on usage. My mate says he needed a lot more medication when he lived up country especially during the period when they burn the rice fields.

Re the high cost of drugs for Thais, if you've read the board for any length of time you'll know the cops at least have ways of supplimenting their income. :banghead

-redwood

Thanks very much.

I'm shocked that the costs are no cheaper than U.K.

I'll make sure I've got a bagful of puffers - before leaving U.K.

Inhalers are a must but I would suggest that you also talk to your doctor about obtaining an Epi-pen or a Twinject. These are usually prescribed for severe allergic reactions where the respiratory system closes down.

Since an asthmatic attack causes the same effect to the respiratory system, this medication is also very good for asthma. It is an auto-injector; push it against your thigh and the needle pops out and the drug (0.3 mg Epinephrine) is automatically injected. If the asthmatic attack is severe, the airway closes quickly and the pumps can't get into the lungs because they are "closed". This drug gets into the blood quickly and opens up the respiratory system even when your pump may not have any effect and that gives you time to get to a hospital.

The Twinject is best because it has two doses and the Epi-pen only has one. It should be used with caution if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure but I would recommend that you consult with your doctor to see if it would be good for you.

For some strange reason, only a handful of doctors take the time to prescribe the Epi-pen or Twinject to their asthmatic patients despite the fact that it can save their lives and has many times.

Suitcase

Just a general comment on the cost of drugs in Thailand versus the UK. Prescription drugs in the UK cost the patient the same regardless of whether they cost £1 or £50. If your drugs cost £1 you are paying over the odds, but if your drugs really cost £50 you are saving a huge amount. I suspect that the true cost of the asthmatic drugs are a lot higher than the £6.50 charge.

I had to pay £13 every 2 months for my blood pressure pills. Here in Thailand, I pay less than a quarter of that, which suggests that the National Health Service were making a mint on my prescriptions!

Alan

Suitcase

Many thanks - I learn something new everyday - I'll definately see my doctor about it - I've no real idea how I'll react to the humdity.

Eneukman

Yes- that's very true - we English tend to grumble about everything. I've just ordered a 4 month, pre payment certificate, for £33. As many perscriptions as I like!

hi sue...

yes ventolin is available in pattaya.....and yes there seems to be a thai and falang price list for most drugs.......i paid 200 baht for one inhaler but when i went to meet the girlfriend i told her what i had paid....the following day we walked past the pharmacey and she went in and asked for an inhaler...see explained it was for herself and was asked for 100 baht....needless to say she does the shopping now... :wtf the only thing i have noticed is the humidity and dry weather is better for me i hardly ever seem to use the inhalers while i'm here.........best get the house on the market and move i reckon.... :lol:

I use a ventolin inhaler and always take 2 with me.. one in my hand luggage & 1 in my case.. do you know if ventolin is available? I find the humidity can be a problme sometimes.

Ventolin/Salbutemol is the same thing (ventolin is a trade name and salbutemol is the generic). Available in Boots and most other pharmacies at around 250 Baht (200 x 100 microgram hits) give or take a few Baht either way - it doesn't matter one iota if you're Thai or farang.

Worst time of the year for my asthma here in the UK is Spring, when I also suffer from Hay Fever :nod Therefore, purely for medicinal reasons I go to Pattaya for a month where I never need to lay a finger on an inhaler or anti-histamine tablet.

My Doctor told me that is entirely the proper thing to do :clueless

Worst time of the year for my asthma here in the UK is Spring, when I also suffer from Hay Fever :nod Therefore, purely for medicinal reasons I go to Pattaya for a month where I never need to lay a finger on an inhaler or anti-histamine tablet.

My Doctor told me that is entirely the proper thing to do :clueless

Are there any hayfever problems in Pattaya, as I suffer from this as well.

I agree, May, June in U.K. - can be a nightmare - double trouble!

I'm surprised, you have no need for an inhaler in Pattaya? What about the humiduty and heat? Does it give you a heavy chest?

No respiratory problems or hay fever effect me while I am breathing in that sensational warm sea air :nod I go for a decent run every evening along the Beach Rd promenade and then following a good few beers in the evening, I always perform the obligatory bedroom breathing exercises :clueless

• 6 months later...