Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Avoid certain Estate Agents in Pattaya

Following another warning article maybe on another board, I agree Evans Marketing should be kept an eye on, potential user problems in small print, and there is lots of it in contract. Evans Marketing nice girl walks into condo for sale, I ask 'What is commission?' answer ' 3% sir', not true, in contract it states that commission is a minimum of 50,000 bht so if you sell condo for 500,000 you pay 10%, typical Farang trick from UK , I'd say watch out at Evans Marketing.

Today six months on , Evans Marketing tell me they are going to show me an apartment I have identified from one of their websites, beware there are many, same charming girl shows up as we leave building she identifies apartment I want to see, but strangely takes me to see a completely different one of completely different nature i.e. just renovated expensive etc. cannot see the one I want to see today, in other words just a plant on website to suck you in as I suspected.

Wasting everybody’s time.

I question her on this and she says it is what her boss tells her to do, I suggested she find another boss as Evans Marketing are not doing anything for her reputation. Make her lose face all the time.

Well I guess the estate agents in general in Pattaya are still allowed to try on the same old come ons they used to use in Britain 20 years ago.

To this day I have never been taken to see a property as I have identified from an advert by any estate agent in Pattaya , got taken to one by Fair properties that existed Oh! but the price on the website was 500,000bht light.

Moral of story : AVOID ESTATE AGENTS

:clueless :sh

Hi,

One value of this site is naming and shaming scam merchants. :chogdee2 However when it comes to Estate Agents I'm afraid they can all be put in the one boat. :D

I disagree.

Went to Pattaya recently and was taken care of by professional real estate agent. Visited properties I had traced on their web site and they were available for the listed price. I visited about 6 or 7 properties, but did not find what I wanted. No problem at all, agent suggested I keep an eye on their web site and come again for further visits.

I disagree.

Went to Pattaya recently and was taken care of by professional real estate agent. Visited properties I had traced on their web site and they were available for the listed price. I visited about 6 or 7 properties, but did not find what I wanted. No problem at all, agent suggested I keep an eye on their web site and come again for further visits.

Well, hell, that's just because your guy had not been through the training course yet in what the proper process is the company wants used.

In nosing around I've come to suspect that farangs find a place to live in Jomtien or Pattaya the same way they find jobs. By knowing someone who knows of something worth living in.

Wrong! I am NOT a real estate agent, but a potential buyer looking for a nice condo.

I would be happy to share the name of the "good" real estate agency, but I do not want to be accused of making publicity and/or being a devious bastard!

I have come across bad agents as well! There must be more than 100 agents in Pattaya/Jomtien area, good ones and bad ones.

If possible at all, I wold prefer avoid them completely, so if anybody has a nice condo for sale, preferably in Jomtien ... let me know.

I had dealing with several property agents. I had specially good experience with ONE stop agency and had specially bad experience ( not only me, but my friends too ) with Fair property.

Fair Properties have a reputation for corruption. If you are selling for say Bt5m then they might have the contracts for the buyer at Bt5.5m, charging the commission on Bt5m and pocketing the other Bt0.5m.

How do I know ? because I have seen the paperwork, I know people who have tried to deal with them, I know some of their ex staff (they never last long - constant running advert) and I know the recipient of a backhander who denied it and and then admitted it.

Wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

Fair Properties have a reputation for corruption

bad experience ( not only me, but my friends too ) with Fair property.

Hi,

I see Torrenova and Gabor, two people on the ground with experience of dealing with them, have the same view as me rather than the rosy one painted by Michelangelo. :wtf

I was fortunate to find a real estate agent who was honest and helpful. She even managed to get me the property at the original agreed price even though another agent brought in a higher price when they found out that I already had a deal in the works. The only problem is that she is now so overworked, I have a hard time getting her to look for potential rental properties.

The moral of this story is to not tar all agents with the same brush!

Cheers

Well I guess the estate agents in general in Pattaya are still allowed to try on the same old come ons they used to use in Britain 20 years ago.

:allright

A lot of them burned their bridges back home being dodgy now they are here doing samesame.

Good info, caveat emptor.

Edited by JohnnyK
The only problem is that she is now so overworked, I have a hard time getting her to look for potential rental properties.

Cheers

I'm in the market for a long term rental condo for 5K per month. Be sure to keep me in mind when you find a rental property. :chogdee2

When you are dealing with an agent the only thing you can be sure about is that it is going to cost you more money. I had a young farang agent show me a couple condos. He was appallingly ignorant and when I asked him to pursue some quite pertinent details he failed to call me back. I tried one other farang agency and when he found out how much I wanted to spend he lost interest. He was only interested in selling 4 and 5 million baht units. I found out it was much easier to go to each condo complex I was interested in and talk to the people in the condo offices. They know what is available and what the asking price is. I eventually found what I wanted for the price I wanted to pay and it was a simple transaction.

There are probably some competent agencies in Pattaya/Jomtien but I managed to miss them.

Edited by Gary

An Ozzie I know found a nice condo at a bargain price in Jomtien through a Brit agent.

Paid the money but papaerwork took a long time.

Three months later he got his money back with no interest. The condo was in the guy's window with a sold sign on it for 50% more than originally.

Agent had used my friend's money to buy it and re-sell.

I was fortunate to find a real estate agent who was honest and helpful. She even managed to get me the property at the original agreed price even though another agent brought in a higher price when they found out that I already had a deal in the works. The only problem is that she is now so overworked, I have a hard time getting her to look for potential rental properties.

Cheers

Certain people enter their working life with a handicap that they need to actively overcome, before they can receive any respect at all from the public at large.

These include as politicians, cab drivers, bankers and estate agents.

If your estate agent is good, then that one's fallen far from the tree of life.

leemo

Nowt to do with estate agents, but there was an incident at VT2A a couple of months back, which I almost got drawn into.

Seems an English gent (well dressed, well spoken, pensioner in the process of retiring to LoS, somewhat naive) had agreed to purchase a condo from what turned out to be English street trash...you know the kind, personable, seemingly trustworthy car-dealer type, until the money changes hands.

Price and terms agreed, before formal papers were drawn up and within an hour of the 300k goodwill deposit being handed over, the vendor mentioned that the 3% tax (>100k) was to be paid by the buyer.

The buyer protested, quite naturally, that the sales tax is the responsibility of the vendor unless otherwise agreed, and that as it happens, he had clarified the tax issue during negotiations, which the vendor confirmed is the vendor's responsibility.

At this point the scammer revealed his true nature, beginning with a stream of colourful expletives synchronised with a threatening posture, because the victim was incapable of remembering such important details as who was to pay the tax. He then casually pointed out that the receipt clearly states the buyer pays the tax, and that the deposit is non-refundable, so if the buyer was trying to pull a fast one he could get f*cked!

The victim checked his receipt, which was written in clear English and included all the relevant details, and sure enough, there it was, printed neatly at the bottom but above the signatures, that the deposit was non-refundable, and the buyer pays the tax, in Thai.

leemo