Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

KEEPING THE MIND ACTIVE IN LOS

Like many of you guys I am thinking about retirement, but for the past couple of years have been in a complete dilemma as to where to where to make home.

Having lived most of my life in the Far East (Hong Kong, Bangkok & Singapore), I have narrowed it down to either Thailand or Philippines. But this is where I start to have a problem. Both places have their advantages and disadvantages and I tend to swing slightly towards Thailand but have one major concern. What to do to keep busy during the day.

If I move to Pattaya or Phuket and live in a condo, then I can play golf and hang around the bars during the day and get laid at night, but that is hardly a fulfilling lifestyle. It seems to me the only alternative is to have some sort of business to keep me occupied, but I don’t fancy the idea of having a bar and have to make polite conversation to a load of drunken guys every night.

Being retired for 20 or 30 years is one hell of a long time so there has to be something constructive to do. I am looking into a few business ventures that won’t take up too much of my time or involve me in too much stress as I don’t want to stop work where I earn good money and start over earning a pittance.

So what do you guys who have retired to LOS do all day to keep yourselves active in mind and body. Do you all have businesses or do you just hang out doing not very much.

I'd be interested to hear how you keep yourself busy without drinking yourself to death.

Cheers

I retired in Jomtien. I did the hang in the bars and get laid every night thing but it did indeed get boring. I had given up on finding a good woman but shit happens. She made a big difference in my way of life. I had in mind to open a buy, sell and swap shop. With all the farangs coming and going I think a shop where they could sell their things before they left would have done well. One leaves and another comes. That would have suited me fine. That didn't happen because I discovered that I liked living up country. Since I have been up here out in the boonies I had a workshop/garage built and have welders, power hack saw, drill press and all the other small power tools I want. I love to tinker. My wife's house sits on two rai of land so there is plenty of room for a garden. Most of all I do NOTHING and I'm very good at it. I go up to a little shop on a nearby mountain and drink beer several times a week with a couple friends. Life is good when you have nothing to do except what you want to do.

I hope this evolves to be a good thread because the issue has interested me as well.

Gary seems to have evolved an interest of working with tools building things. I've seen mention of this before. There was an article in some magazine or another about a guy who built artistic wooden furniture (bookshelves, chairs, not desks or couches) of a strictly non mass produced sort, took some digital pictures of it, sent them to some interior decorator website email addresses and next thing he knew he had orders coming in from all over the world that he didn't really want to do. So he only did the ones he liked and priced them high, and orders still came in from all over the world.

I'm not retired so I may know jack about any of this. Things I've thought I would do is write fiction, write articles/reviews of goings-on in my current industry field of expertise (ulterior motive in this, it could keep me current in case the bottom drops out of the world and I need to get a job again), executive consulting, maybe some travel writing and photography, do some Asian sales rep-ing for US companies -- just anything I could think of that would not too loudly and clearly violate the Do-Not-Work part of a retirement visa and also not have me working 8 - 5 or more like pre retirement. I guess I kind of view that as a different category from other things I'd like to do. Sail, play tennis, sightsee, do a bit of volunteer work, teach . . . .

Anyway, here's hoping for lots of ideas in this thread.

I won't ever retire to LOS, but if I did, I would like to do a little bit of light employment on the QT. perhaps brokering insurance for BG'S going to stay with their BF'S for a while in Europe, Aus' or wherever. make a few Bhat and provide a service. I don't think such a service exists yet. But some Thai insurance company, must take an interest.

What if your GF has a fatal accident while in your country? How much would that cost you ? Mine is here for 6 months, would have used such a service myself.

Edited by nidnoyham

I'm actually working here and would retire if I had the financial independance (not there yet).

I live in Chiang Mai. Its not Pattaya or Bangkok. The weather is generally better (cooler) yet still has enough bars to keep me happy. It also has a heap of interesting stuff to do in and around the city; If you head up into the hills, there's more than enough to keep you busy for weeks on end.

Commercially, some falangs up here run export businesses part time, or have internet based companies providing information and services. The is also an active writers group here - seems many a novel has been penned her: Chiang Mai is also a good place for travel writers to be based - good frequent flights to the outside world, cheap and comfortable over-night trains to Bangkok, plus the city is large enough to support a good IT service/products sale. It's rare I have to get something sent from Bangkok.

Ther is much more to Thailand than Pattaya - living in Korat or Nong Khai may be cheaper but its both hot and socially isolating for the non-thai speaker. Chaing Mai (and Chiang Rai) are very good places to be a retiree.

Rhoel

I think if you're planning to retire anywhere you should make some attempt at learning to speak the language. I can assure you that Thai is not easy- with the strange alphabet and all the different tones.

The most important point is to not to get into the habit of going to bars every night.

Alan

While many come here for the gals, the gals & clubs really represent a small segment (but a fun segment!) of the overall population. There are a number of service organizations (Rotary, Lions, etc), and ex-pat clubs through which you can get to know some of the community leaders and businessmen as well as spend time on projects benefiting the less fortunate.

Work is an option, but be careful about working w/out a permit, though many are currently doing it. Some are under the radar, with somethng like an E-Bay business.

• 1 month later...
I think if you're planning to retire anywhere you should make some attempt at learning to speak the language. I can assure you that Thai is not easy- with the strange alphabet and all the different tones.

After two years of living here (retired), I agree with (Eneukman's comment about learning the language.

And learning Thai is one of the fascinating activities I have here: Thai language lessons, 5 days a week.

Right, it's not easy, but it's a valuable skill, it also teaches you something about the culture.

And it sure keeps your brain active.

In addition, I offer to teach a little bit of English once in a while.

Not a job and I don't take any money at all.

But when someone I know -- say the manager of a restaurant where I often eat -- asks me to help some of his staff improve their English, I agree.

A few hours of relaxed lessons, spread over a few weeks, is valuable for them and fun for me.

I find teaching materials on the web.

Finally, any man who loves to read will never be bored for the duration of his retirement.

I live in Bangkok -- plenty of English language bookshops in the area.

Easy to take the skytrain to Siam Square where the Chula University Book Centre has a huge English language section (up on the balcony level).

And, one more thing, in those two years, I have never, ever, turned on the TV in my room.

Yet, even without TV, never a boring day in Thailand.

Not yet.

While many come here for the gals, the gals & clubs really represent a small segment (but a fun segment!) of the overall population. There are a number of service organizations (Rotary, Lions, etc), and ex-pat clubs through which you can get to know some of the community leaders and businessmen as well as spend time on projects benefiting the less fortunate.

Work is an option, but be careful about working w/out a permit, though many are currently doing it. Some are under the radar, with somethng like an E-Bay business.

I've been giving this some thought also. My wife is a registered nurse with years of experience leading group therapy sessions involving alcoholics and drug addicts. I figure she should have a shit load of customers in LOS. :ang2 For myself I'm looking at volunteer work.