Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 140 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

ban chang and rayong

Hi guys,

Any of you expats there that can provide informed input of either of these places as candidates for future retirement as think maybe Pattaya would be an overkill for an old fart like me who doesn't need all the constant action. My retirement budget would be between 50-80,000 bhat per month tops for the little I need and am not interested in buying property as renting seems the best option for me at my age and gives the flexibility of just relocating if thing don't work out. I don't drink, will probably will eat most of meals out, do need some female companionship from time to time, and definitely don't want any long term relationship at my age. Just looking for a quiet lifestyle away from the constant action, not out in the boonies somewhere, but somewhere that has a decent infastucture and close enough to the goods and services, and activities to keep one's interest active. I know there's been a lot of reviews about the best locations in the LOS to live, and their are the usual pros and cons about all of them, but it's not all that easy to research them out on the internet to get the real lowdown. Thanks in advance guys and if any of you think either of these locations are worthy of consideration and could provide me with as much detail as possible it surely would be appreciated. Have a good one and enjoy. Old Bud

While the centre of pattaya is quite hectic, you might want to consider renting a place on the eastern side of sukhumvit road, which is quite tranquil. If you are down the south end (closer to Lotus/Tesco) you are not far from shopping and Jomtien beach. Not so far to take your "companion" home for the night either.

I'm gonna check out Rayong, Sattahip and Trat this month.

Come up to Pattaya once a month for BG exchange and kick back with my new thang till I tire of her.

Sounds like paradise.

:dbh

I too, was looking south of Jomtien at the Condos at the Yacht Club. Very nice, but you need your own transportation, as there is nothing around it.

My guess that in 10 years, it will be like Jomtien is now.

Can recomend Ban Chang if you like "country side living" but you need your own car since you need to get to Pattaya which is 30 min drive away to do your weekly shoping etc if you want something they don't sell in the local market.

Recently moved from "east side of Sukhumwit" Pattaya to Ban Chang myself and like it much better down here. The only thing I miss is the "Door-2-Door" Food delivery which is a great thing in Pattaya when you are tired of Thai (Lao) food.

If you like golf then you have 5 courses within a few minutes driving from Ban Chang with Eastern Star just outside town on the beach side.

If you are a beach bum then you will find much cleaner beaches as soon as you go around the corner at Sattahip and the seafood is great.

Several bars on the infamous Ban Chang strip with girls that cater to falang customers. Also a few falang resturants there.

Not sure about the rental market down here, not so many condos around. A few houses for rent were I live but they will cost you from 30-40000 and up per month, probably can find more resonable prices here than in Pattaya area though. If you drive around you will see alot of small signs along the roads of houses for rent.

Thanks guys for that feedback, and escpecially to you "c5vette", as nothing beats getting info from one who lives there and if you could give me details on the cost of living there on the budet I mentioned it sure would help. Still hopeful that someone will chime in here about the Rayong area, but hey, any info about these places for good old "laying back retirement" is more than welcome and thanks again for your time and effort in providing what you can, you guys are great. Have a good one and enjoy. Old Bud

Bud

Rayong, would be my choice of area to stay long time. My mate has a house there, about 4 miles south of the town, toward Ban Peh. A place called Hadmaerangpeun. At the moment, it is not Faranged up. There are 2 nice hotels, houses/ condos to rent and a English owned bar/ guest-house. All prices for rent reflect an area used by Thai's. Although there are taxis to Rayong that run along the beach road, your own transport, would be usefull.

The beach is empty and clean, seafood and beer available on beach day and night at very reasonable prices. In the area, Rayong has a Tesco and Big C, Ban Peh has a market for fish of every type, plus a night market once a week. There is an excellent Restuarant in the area a few miles away, for that special occasion.

My mates 80 year old dad had to go to Rayong Hospital when he broke his Achilles tendon. He had first class treatment, in luxurious surroundings.

Let me know if you want more detailed info, I can get you price of house rental, renting for a year is no problem.

Cheers, NNH

Edited by nidnoyham

Thanks NNH, exactly the kind of info am looking for here and much appreicated. That area sure sounds like it would fit my limited needs and your offer of details would be very helpful. I did try and send you an e-mail but not sure if it took on as had major computer problems and just got it back from the shop today, lost everthing on my hard drive and had to reload the OS from scratch so am starting all over again. Thanks again for the specifics and have a great day. Old Bud

cknbud...

I have been working and living in Ban Chang for a little over a year and I love it!

I rent a 2 bedroom townhouse and Honda Accord (from the same people) for 22,000 baht per month. There are many cheaper places to rent if you look around.

I like to play golf and go to BKK so, for me, a car is a must.

The only thing I miss is not having a grocery store nearby. They built a new Tesco in Sattahip but it caters more to Thais (which is understandable) so a bi-weekly trip to Pattaya is warranted.

In my opinion, Rayong is a little too far away (from Pattaya, Bangkok, etc.).

Hope this helps....

Cheers......gp :rolleyes:

I'm gonna check out Rayong, Sattahip and Trat this month.

Come up to Pattaya once a month for BG exchange and kick back with my new thang till I tire of her.

Sounds like paradise.

:rolleyes:

I picked up on your mention of Trat. This is a town I like for an expat.

1) Close to Koh Chang, IMHO the best island left in the gulf.

2) 45mins to the Cambo border for visa runs

3) Local airport with 2x daily flights to/from Bkk

4) 2 1/2 hrs from Pattaya in a car

5) Has all the services etc of a large provincal town

Also from looking around, the prices are much cheaper than in the tourist areas. I'd imagine the property rental and sale market would be the same.

You may also want to think about Udon.

Your baht would go about 25-40% further because housing, food, and transportation is about 1/2 what you would pay for the same in the Pattaya/Rayong area and no traffic/pollution worries. You would live like a king on your budget. You can also find women from University students (wicked grin) to elderly ladies who speak english to help take care of you.

The owner of the Jan Condotel is almost non-functional, but his wife (can be a bitch at times but in a good way, I suppose) takes excellent care of him from my observations. Also, women seem to be less treacherous compared to what you find in the Sex Tourist areas.

The city has real parks and other relaxing outdoor recreation activities. There are also enough non-abrasive bars/restaurants to just sit and pass time chatting or watching the telly. You can hop over to BKK from the local airport for just over THB 3000 r/t. There is an excellent hospital in town and I highly recommend grabbing one of BUPA's Platinum level insurance policies. These are (relatively) dirt cheap and you are treated like royalty. Thailand has the best quality of care on the planet.

It's worth a peak, and stay at the Jan Condotel. They will pick you up from the airport and have free broadband internet in all the (very modern) rooms for THB 400 per day, or THB 8,500 per month(!!!). The rooms are even better than what is on the website.

There is a central mega-mall with 8(?) theaters (3 are usually always in english) and visa run via Nong Khai (30 minutes north) is also nice to have nearby. I do not know about the nightlife, as I do not indulge, but there are bar areas and lots of medical clinics (nearer the universities), so read into that what you will.

Good luck!

Thanks SNGLIFE for that recommendation about Udon and I have seems to be a very favorite location also, but for some reason the beach areas seem to be more attractive to me although there are disadvantages of those locations also, the main one of course being the higher cost and but that's only one consideration, it's really difficult to pin it down to any one thing. I do know however that it's generally more hotter but much more reasonable in overall cost so quess it boils down to narrowing the choices down to 2-3 locations, check them out and then make an informed decision, it one place doesn't work out after awhile you can always relocate and try another, thanks again and have a good one. Old Bud