Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Ok i think next time im in pattaya im gona hire a bike for about a month, i know the police keep stopping bikes for things 'had a fine once in patong for no licence' so what type of licence do you need is the UK international drivers permit from the AA or RAC ok or do you need a proper thai licence.

Whats the ballpark price for a bike for a month

Whats the ballpark price for a bike for a month

With or without medical expenses?

I won't get on a bike here in the US, much less in Thailand. A moving target is still a target, and I suspect there are more motorcyle riders in LOS hospitals than there are from any other injuries.

A standard UK license will suffice and a bike should be available with insurance from 2000 baht upwards

I seem to recall reading that someone was asked to produce his International licence by the Police. I would get one. They're inexpensive to obtain and the RAC will send it to you by return post.

You only need a Thai licence if you're planning on living here for any length of time.

Alan

I comment on my own personal experiences when I say that a standard UK license will do, I have been stopped by the police and fined (no, not back handers...but a trip to the station) on approx a dozen occasions...at first all I had was the old paper license and it was not a problem...I now have the new plastic picture license and it does the trick...no questions, no requests for any other form of license whatsoever...I have been living here for over 18 months now

i hire a big bike when in los, but its well dangerous

(i ride a vn 1500 here in the uk so im experienced)

make sure you have a valid uk licence to ride the bike that you hire(assuming you have passed your bike test)

and an int-d/l too

if you havn,t passed your m/cycle test, your trav ins is void (nb)check the wording on your trav insurance its probably shite cover anyway, regarding m/cycle riding!)---

so if you have an accident your in the shite, unless your minted

don,t forget--if you hurt a thai, its your fault regardless :D

ride on

You should have an international driving permit and your driving licence .

I was stopped 3 times in a 3 trips to Nong Khai from Udon.They were specifically looking for farangs without permits.Locally there seems to be crackdowns from time to time ( ie riding with no helmet ) If you have been to Samui at Chawang,nobody wears a helmet but you go to where the ferry docks from the mainland at the other side of the island there are notices in English that helmets must be worn and people are stopped if not complying all the time.

Permits are available at many main post offices.Only about 5 or 6 pound as i remember.Better than the hassle if your stopped.

I rent motor bikes just make sure they have 2 stickers that are valid one for insurance and the other for the tax,your drivers permit from your country should be ok I havent seen any problems yet that I know about.What he said is right if your farang you always wrong.

Also, check the bike for damage BEFORE you take it out and point out any damage to owner. common for hire bike companies to try and stick foreigners with the damages from previous rentals when they return the bike. Many companies have a limit on how far from pattaya you can take the bike (usually 50km). Get an international licence covering a motorbike and bring your UK licence, cos you dont want to spend time hanging around soi9 cop shop. Watch where you park, cos they are locking bike wheels up and making riders to to soi9 and pay the fine. be very defensive in your driving, thais do not watch where they are going. they seem to rely on the other person to avoid them.

thais do not watch where they are going. they seem to rely on the other person to avoid them.

They rely on the Bhuda amulets I always thought. :clap2

Also worth rmembering that the maximum fine that can be imposed by the police is 200baht NOT 2,000 that some will ask for.

Never been asked for a license in four years, I think if you are here on a 30 day entry stamp a license from your home country is enough. I don't know this for sure because most of my information is all hear say, so what do I know. Renting a motor bike here can have draw backs. If it is stolen then you are responsible, seems thieves target rental bikes more than the others, why? I have no clue :drunk but if that happens you are liable for full value as if it were in great shape.... Invest in your own lock seems the locks that come with rental bikes are way easy to pick or they are all using the same key....If you are involved in an accident it will be your fault, it appears that the Thai authorities know how bad of drivers we all are, and for our bad driving be prepared to fork out some cash. I heard of one guy being held responsible because he was at an intersection where an accident happened. Thai logic states if you had not come to Thailand for holiday then that accident wouldn't have happened in the first place <grin ...Be prepared to pay, how much you pay all depends on your bargaining skills but you will pay....Remember you are at fault you are a lousy driver and most importantly your probably the only one with any money....

Other than that have a blast motor bikes are a kick in the ass to ride but just remember you are the bad driver here....