Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Is is relatively hassle free to take the bus to Pattaya from the Ekamai (sp?) station. I'm staying on Soi 11 (Bkk). I think hiring a driver will cost around 1200 bht, I think the but is only 110 bht....much cheaper. do most of you take the bus or hire a car/taxi?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have a lot of time, then the bus is all right, otherwise a taxi.

if you can find a mini bus then thats a better way to go, it may cost 300 to 400

try calling the dynasty hotel

Ting is right. If you have the time the bus isn't bad. Bussed everywhere last trip and had some experiences but overall not too bad. From Ekamai to Pattaya 117 baht from Pattaya to Ekamai 113 baht. Don't know why the price difference but it's no big deal anyway. :beer

I have taken the bus several times to Bangkok with no problems. It has reserved seating, AC, and quite comfortable. I usually take it first thing in the morning (6:30 or so) when I have to go to the U.S. Embassy. If you get off at Mo Chit (Sp) you can jump on the skytrain at the beginning and not have to hassle for a seat at Ekamai, and you also beat the Bangkok traffic. It usually takes less than 2 hours which I think is just as fast as a taxi.

Returning is a little slower, as the bus stops several places and usually takes around 3 hours to return.

IMHO, the best way to go to Bangkok without luggage or other packages.

Minibuses can really be aggrivating though... one time, BKK to Pat, we spent 2 hours circling BKK, picking up people!

Ditto Pat to BKK- an hour circling round Pattaya, and an hour circling in BKK before I was let off, and I wasn't the last! :)

I have taken the bus several times to Bangkok with no problems. It has reserved seating, AC, and quite comfortable. I usually take it first thing in the morning (6:30 or so) when I have to go to the U.S. Embassy. If you get off at Mo Chit (Sp) you can jump on the skytrain at the beginning and not have to hassle for a seat at Ekamai, and you also beat the Bangkok traffic. It usually takes less than 2 hours which I think is just as fast as a taxi.

Returning is a little slower, as the bus stops several places and usually takes around 3 hours to return.

IMHO, the best way to go to Bangkok without luggage or other packages.

How far is the Mo Chit bus terminal from the Mo Chit skytrain station? If your not aware when getting the bus to Pattaya at Mo Chit they offer a bus for an extra 4 baht that will take the toll road. I did it last month, left Mo Chit a little before 7 PM and arrived in Pattaya about an hour and fifty minutes later. Part of the slowness now is that they are doing some roadwork on a stretch between Pattaya and the beginning of the toll road. It's slow during this stretch whether your in a bus or taxi.

Getting the bus from and to ekkamai is very easy and hassle free,just get a skytrain to ekkamai station and when you get down from the platform the bus station is 100 metres max away.The buses,a/c leave every 30 mins so there should be no long waits.The trip takes about 30 mins and you can get a baht bus from pattaya bus station to the top or bottom of the street your hotel is in for 20 baht or do a private hire of one right to your hotel door for 100 baht.

ozboy

Isn't there 2 busses to Pattaya...one has A/C and another doesn't? Also, one may be "local" whereas the other is straight through? Do the people at the ticketwindow understand english? Which bus is it?

Isn't there 2 busses to Pattaya...one has A/C and another doesn't? Also, one may be "local" whereas the other is straight through? Do the people at the ticketwindow understand english? Which bus is it?

The Bus station on Pattaya North road has only one type of bus going to Bangkok (Air conditioned and a Toilet on board). They have several other busses going to other destinations, but just go to the window that says Bangkok (All signs are also in English), pony up your money, get your ticket, and then look on the ticket for the bus number, departure time, and seat number. Everything is in English and there is no need for any translation. They automatically book you on the next available bus leaving. During busy hours, they leave every 10 min. or so, so sometimes i have had to wait 20-30 Minutes.

Piece of cake....

Taken the bus many times. I usually get the airport bus to ekamai (100 baht) and then the pattaya bus. ozboy is a little out in the timing (30 mins) , it usually takes about 2-2half hours but can be a little longer in the peak times. this time I am planning to get a cab to mo chit bus station (about 100 baht) and get the pattaya bus from there. saves the long haul out to ekamai and probably a quicker exit from bangkok.

Taken the bus many times. I usually get the airport bus to ekamai (100 baht) and then the pattaya bus. ozboy is a little out in the timing (30 mins) , it usually takes about 2-2half hours but can be a little longer in the peak times. this time I am planning to get a cab to mo chit bus station (about 100 baht) and get the pattaya bus from there. saves the long haul out to ekamai and probably a quicker exit from bangkok.

Alan it will cost you 150 if you take a cab that is based out of the airport because they add an extra 50 baht to cover what they are charged by the airport. If you catch one dropping off someone at the departure level then its about 100. When you get to Mo Chit and locate the Pattaya window see if they are still offering the bus to Pattaya that takes the toll road. Its 121 as opposed to 117. I took it last month and it took me an hour and 50 minutes.

Bus from Ekami to Pattaya is fine if you are travelling from Bangkok (city as opposed to airport), really don't see that a taxi is that much more of a convenience. Do it once just to see how easy it is.

Would still, however, catch a taxi if going from the airport to Pattaya, but only because I would be tired after long flight.

Edited by donny

pay the 1200...or 2000 or whatever...you are on vacation...no fun spending hours in a van with a bunch of idiots who dont know where they are going, havent booked a hotel yet, have a room in the middle of the boonies.....get a good ride and get to Pattaya in about 2 hours in comfort, stopping if and when you want and being driven right up to the door of your place.

Taxi is a great way to get to Pattaya for the convenience. You need to be aware though that you may feel like you are in a nascar race on the expressway though. Bangkok Taxis are scary fast when they drive to Pattaya, very very scary! No joke.

Cheap Charley luves the bus. :banghead Fast, efficient, ac and last but not least cheap and many times I sit next to a BG on her way back to Pattaya and chat her up. I've used it many times and strongly recommend it.

Yup, the bus is no hardship whatsoever and the conversations I've had have been as interesting as any I've had in a bar. It's also good to know that, should the urge strike me, I can hop onto a bus at any time and get up to BKK cheaply.

It can be very confusing and hectic for a new person going to Ekami for the first time. Shit, even getting there can be a challenge for the uninitiated. When I first visited the place was crawling with people and I felt lost. I took a taxi that time. however, I priide myself on being able to master mass transit in the countires I visit, so this next trip I am doing bus! Ekami to Pattaya or Bust!!

The price difference is not as it seems. You have to get to the bus station which will need a baht bus if you have luggage (Bt100), then you have to wait, then you need transport at the other end (taxi say BT150). So the total cost can be around Bt350+

Forget the minibuses. They take forever at either end. If you have only hand luggage then ok, try the bus. But to save less than Bt1000, have all the hassle, risk having your luggage stolen etc., just get a taxi. After all, you have flown thousands of miles spending hundreds if not thousands of $ to get here and you worry about another $20 or so ?

Torrenova, I don't agree with your tot.

I've already said, earlier in this thread, that people arriving at Don Muang after a 10 hour flight shouldn't bother mickeying about buses, they should just hop into a taxi and get taken straight to their Pattaya hotel. Mind you, myself, if I arrived in the daytime, I might be tempted.

For anyone who just wants a bit of change from Pattaya for a day or two, however, the bus is perfect. The Pattaya bus station isn't that far away, how much would a moto taxi really cost?

Then, at the Bangkok end, you're right on the BTS line, just a couple stops from whatever Sukhumvit hotel you're staying at and a few more to the Siam Center or MBK. I forget how much the BTS costs, but it's just a few baht.

You're wrong about the buses being for hand luggage only, they are exactly the same as the coaches back in the UK or the Greyhounds in the States: they store the luggage in the hold underneath, which isn't unlocked between Pattaya and Bangkok.

It isn't about saving $30 dollars (although, of course, that's not chump change in Thailand) but I genuinely don't think that catching a taxi is any better. Okay, I guess it's a little faster but, my God, the taxi journey is boring as Hell, why miss out on the opportunity to have a long chat with a BG without having to buy her a lady drink every ten minutes :rolleyes:

But, you might be sitting next to someone who doesn't speak English and isn't a bargirl either. :a2m

Funnily enough, a girl who's interested will notice you while you're all standing around waiting to board - remember, she probably makes this journey quite often isn't going to waste the opportunity to meet you. Certainly, a bit of eye contact or a friendly smile from you at that stage will almost guarantee that she ends up sitting nearby. Even better, ask "Does it take long to get to Pattaya?" or some other easy, bullshit question and, if she speaks English, bingo, you're in business.

Even if you aren't as proactive as that, you'll have probably end up with one person next to you and another just across the very narrow aisle. If you aren't drunk and are friendly, you'll almost certainly end up talking to one of them. And, yeah, perhaps it won't be a BG, perhaps you'll end up talking to an expat, getting good advice and hearing funny anecdotes. Either way, you don't lose and it beats the Hell out of sitting bored in the back of a taxi.

It makes perfect sense to take the bus from Ekamai if you are staying on Sukhumvit, since it is such an easy easy skytrain ride to Ekamai. Coming back to BKK from Pattaya though, the 800B taxi plus tolls represents great value.