Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

I know I am going to get flamed from certain members for this thread but they will have to get over it... :chogdee2 With a bit of luck those racked by jealousy will not find their way to this forum.

I am seriously considering renting a condo from the 1st of September. I would initially like to take on a 6 month contract. Price range I am looking at is 10 - 12K but I am prepared to pay up to 15K for a nice place.

At this stage I am more interested in general information but if anyone has specific information that would be appreciated too.

Information I am after are things like

- what locations are best and ones to stay away from

- recommendations for particular developments

- what I should expect for that sort of money.

- other costs involved

- problems to look out for

- issues with taking a lease in Thailand

- security, as I will be away at work for about half the time

- and anything else you think would be useful

I will be in Pattaya from the 20th of this month for 10 days so I will be having a scout around.

no flame here, i'm interested in the same thing from Nov 1st so keep us up to date with anything good you see!

oh and i know i can do a search but things change quickly over there and latest info would be good.

No flame here as well! that's what this board is for.....The only stupid question is one that's not asked! Good luck with your search, I'm also curious to hear the responses!

Flame, hell half the members want the same thing you do. Keep us up to date on what you find out. The other half just don't know they want it. :chogdee2

It doesn't look like anyone has any information to share.. :D It looks like a few people are interested in the same thing. I will be doing some research while I am there later this month. Once I leave Pattaya (that makes me sad just writing that!) I'll do a little report on what I learn.

I have contacted a couple of people and received offers of help so things look good. Apparently at the moment there are lots of vacant condos. I have been told that they start getting snapped up in September.

BTW the reference about getting flamed was aimed at a couple of members who think I post things just to wind them up. OK, sometimes I do just for fun. Those people know who they are... :clap1 It wasn't aimed at all BMs.

There are no general rules. Personally I would rent on Jomtien - as I did from my very first trip - because of the more relaxed and less polluton area. Anyway on the bahtbus 10 minutes ride to the WS. I recommend to renting out a condo if you like the " condo feeling ", sometimes - if the budget is important - some hotels may be cheaper. Consider, that in the rented condo no daily cleaning service, you are on your own. ( the laundry is extremly cheap ) However you can order a cleaning service for 100-200 baht. I like the " condo feeling" because of the " freedom feeling " and I feel myself at home, not as a guest. But this again not for everyone.

Look the social places before to rent out, how attended, it says a lot about the facility. ( for example the swimming pool )

The security usually symbolic, but they are looking after the thais. In VT2 when I presented a set of speakers to a girl, she asked me to verify at the security. In VT2 b. are cameras on all corridors.

Avoid the property offices, as they working with extra profit. On the corridor of the VT buildings are dozens of private offers.

Before renting out clarify the electricity and water costs as this is a fishy area, many renters are tricking on it. ( must be around 200 baht the water 400-1800 the electricity / month for a unit )

I myself renting out a condo

http://www.viewtalay2.try.hu/

My system is: No deposit in advance, pay upon arrival the price + 2000 baht refundable deposit. ( to pay the utilities or other damages )

Any other questions ?

Edited by Gabor

Scumbag, on your budget, you will be looking at a studio appartment.

I would certainly use the time here later this month to have a look at different areas. Like Gabor, I'm in View Talay (2A). They do have cameras in every corridor now BUT the screens to view what's been going on are in the office, which is locked when the office is closed.

I have a double room and my water costs average out at around 260 baht or so per month. I only have a ceiling fan in the bedroom and that costs a fraction of aircon to run. My electric costs vary from 600 baht in the "cold" season to 1,200 baht or so in the hot season.

Alan

How much do you guys pay for each unit of electricity?

• 2 months later...

Maybe i can provide some info .

I own a condo in jomtien view talay building B. This condo i rent out thru the www.fairproperties.com.

They rent the condo for about 25 k a month, which i will recive 20 K . its a double unit....For your price, you will look at a studio about 30 - 35 square meter. The renting price include all cost, exept electric. I suspect that fairproperties charge extra for electric to, as i had a friend renting a studio, and he was charged 2300 baht for 1 month....when that said, he did leave his aircon on 24/7 , and those use alot of power.

View Talay , security is good, but far from perfect when it comes to bringing in guest. I have never heard about any break in and entering, from condo or cars in this area, but there has been some problems with falang bringing in the wrong guests. As you now, there will be no id check when you come back. I stay at my condo for 2 months every year, and when i arrived, i slip 100 baht now and then to the 2 security guys which is based with the elevator 24 / 7. This money provides me with them taking copys of the id card, or hold the id card until the day after. Makes me feel more secured.

There are also 2 more security guys hanging out in the entrance of the area.

I must say, when i stay there i feel very secure, same is i would have done in a hotel.

I would recomend fairproperties, as a good company for rent/buy a condo. They are real professionals.

Scumbag - why would you expect flames? Thats what this section is for.

As pointed out at 10-15 you will be looking at a studio. I would agree with gabor that Jomtien is a better bet but many like to be in the thick of the action in Pattaya.

Why not PM Gabor - he has a few condos in your price range that look pretty reasonable.

With regard to Fair properties - well we get conflicting opinions although Towoldse's comment is actually the first GOOD one I have seen.

As Towoldse says they add 5k to the price.

Edited by whitespider

I have a one bedroom condo. My electric bill this month is about average at 497 baht. I work that out at 3 baht a unit, 157 units plus vat at 7% plus another amount I can't decipher - all in the total of 497 baht.

I pay this direct to the electric company but I hear some landlords bill tenants at a higher rate, so beware.

I think the fridge is the main user, I never use aircon now I am 'used' to the heat, but shower in warm water and cook a little for my self.

Edited by chas
I have a double room and my water costs average out at around 260 baht or so per month. I only have a ceiling fan in the bedroom and that costs a fraction of aircon to run. My electric costs vary from 600 baht in the "cold" season to 1,200 baht or so in the hot season.

Alan

Blimey, are you watering the park? I have a 2 bedroom house and a tilac who is always in the bathroom and last month's water bill was 85 baht. And electric charges of 600 baht without an aircon seem high.....I have AC in the bedroom 9-10 hours every night and pay about 1500 pcm.

The way electric costs are calculated is on a sliding scale rising with consumption, condos normally double the per unit cost.

Blimey, are you watering the park? I have a 2 bedroom house and a tilac who is always in the bathroom and last month's water bill was 85 baht. And electric charges of 600 baht without an aircon seem high.....I have AC in the bedroom 9-10 hours every night and pay about 1500 pcm.

The way electric costs are calculated is on a sliding scale rising with consumption, condos normally double the per unit cost.

My water is charged at 24 baht per cubic metre PLUS a 50 baht standing charge for each room (i.e. a total of 100 baht per month)

I'm in the condo a lot of the time with the television on virtually all of that time. As well, my laptop is on for several hours per day.

Alan

Information I am after are things like

- problems to look out for

- issues with taking a lease in Thailand

I will be in Pattaya from the 20th of this month for 10 days so I will be having a scout around.

Watch out for some Faring landlords! I rented one in Jomtiem, had to pay a lot of deposits (phone, broadband, etc.) that turned out to be false, and he simply pocketed the money. He also required a copy of my passport. After 3 months when I finally realized that all of these deposits were fake, I read the fine print of the lease only to discover that he could change the locks at his discretion even if the rent was current) and lock me out for no reason.

I moved out at the end of the month, only to be subjected to extortion, demanding extra monies for fake charges, and if I did not pay he threatened to file criminal charges for stealing, even though he held 25,000 Baht in deposits. He then said that when I presented my passport to immigration,l they would take me into custody! What a guy!

Needless to say, I told him to put his head where the sun does not shine.

Edited by MrMango

Indeed there are and as I know of least two members here who rent out condos (Gabor and Bangkokboy) and have rented from B. without problems I at least would aprecaid it you said who it is.

He would then have a oportunity to defend him self or we know not to rent from him

P.S. He is or was, a member here...

WELL NAME THE FUCKER THEN!!! :chogdee

Its pointless saying that they are/were a member as the finger will be pointed anyway.

If you dont want to name them then dont make indirect links to the board as BM's will try and work out who you are talking about.

This will stir endless shit.

Top_Cat

I agree that there is always at least 2 sides to every story, and I have removed the questionable statement.

I do not know either of the 2 named persons, so it was not them.

If the owner wants to call me out, then i am more than willing to come out with both barrels blazing, but I have written it off in my mind.

It doesn't look like anyone has any information to share.. :wanker It looks like a few people are interested in the same thing. I will be doing some research while I am there later this month. Once I leave Pattaya (that makes me sad just writing that!) I'll do a little report on what I learn.

I have contacted a couple of people and received offers of help so things look good. Apparently at the moment there are lots of vacant condos. I have been told that they start getting snapped up in September.

BTW the reference about getting flamed was aimed at a couple of members who think I post things just to wind them up. OK, sometimes I do just for fun. Those people know who they are... :clap1 It wasn't aimed at all BMs.

SB

Try ringing this guy in Pattaya.Hes a Canadian I believe (but dont hold me to it !)

Rents out condos/apartments in Pattaya/Jomtien.

He answered a similar question to yours a while back so I kept his number.

Give him a bell.

Eric-061114136

Chivas

We asking 2-3.000 baht deposit and counting in every month.

Indeed there are and as I know of least two members here who rent out condos (Gabor and Bangkokboy) and have rented from B. without problems I at least would aprecaid it you said who it is.

He would then have a oportunity to defend him self or we know not to rent from him