Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Hi Naughtyboy I can only speak for the Areca but it is a very good hotel situated in a good area about 10 minute from Walking street. I have stayed there and am staying there in a couple of weeks. The hotel is guest friendly and has all the facilities you need except for broadband access, it only has a small internet room next to the reception.

If you book a deluxe room they have king bed,tv,reasonably priced mini-bar and electronic safe. If this is out of your budget the standard rooms don't have a safe but reception has safety deposit boxes but remeber to bring your own padlock. The hotel has 2 pools and the rooms are all clean and in good decor as it has been open approx. 4 years.

Their booking facility isn't great as it requires you to e-mail/fax them your bank details. If you book through asiarooms.com or sawadee this is more secure although you will have to pay the full amount if you go through these website, although sometimes you can get a deal this way.

The Residence Garden is also meant to be a great hotel, although it is a bit further out the way, maybe this suits you.

Hope this has helped.

P.S. if you do book Areca you can buy me a beer as I will probably be back there in mid October.

Hi Naughtyboy

I have stayed at both hotels and they are both good. Only disadvantage I find with Residnece Garden is that it is a little way out although naht buses pass every few seconds.

As already said Areca Lodge is about 10 minutes walk from Walking street so not too far.

I will be staying again at Areca end october as I am only there for 3 or 4 days. I recomend it.

Ric

Hi Naughtyboy

Only disadvantage I find with Residnece Garden is that it is a little way out although naht buses pass every few seconds.

As already said Areca Lodge is about 10 minutes walk from Walking street so not too far.

Ric

I think the walk from Areca Lodge to walking street is AT LEAST as long as from RG - and I have tried both routes :sh

Having said that - I like the Soi Buakao area so I will probably stay there next time again :llaugh

Hi Naughtyoy.

Have stayed at both on many occassions. The bottom line is it is a matter of personal choice, They both are special in their own way. The RG does have a bullt in suit which the TG's love.

Can't fault either of them. The captains table restaurant at RG is bloody good, and the free breakfast at the Areca is good as well. Both places have two pools.

IMHO the RG is better for playing as there are only a few families that go there, as opposed to Areca where you will find couples and families.

Hi and thanks for your comments.

I think I am going to stay at Areca Lodge as i will only be in town for 4 days.

If you are in town from Monday 16th to Thursday 19th inclusive please let me know it would be great to meet up with a few board members.

:D :clueless

I'm at Areca for 8 nights from the 13th Oct so will be happy to share a couple of beers. I had similar dilema to yourself having stayed at RG before but not at Areca. So following my time at Areca I am off to RG for a week :finger

The area around Areca is very good. Lots of bars etc. Around RG there is not too much in walking distance. I find the road so busy outside RG now that it is a big pain to cross.

I too have stayed at Areca, good rooms, pools, guest friendly etc.

There is plenty happening in the area, short walk to most other areas's walking st etc, plenty of baht buses if needed.

atsiam.com offer a small discount on room rates and are a lot more secure to send credit card details. Only draw back is atsiam.com require full payment at time of booking, to me this is no draw back as you don't have a big bill to pay at the end of your trip.

I'm sure residence gardens has its advantages as well, but i prefer the soi diana area.

Hope this helps.

onelilley.

• 2 weeks later...
If you use a padlocks to lock your suitcase while travelling just use one of those,they are fine that's what I did in may.

ozboy

Is it only me who thinks that the rather small padlock used to lock the suitcase is a little bit small to secure a safety deposit box?

Even the "tsa locks" that we use in the states on luggage would probably be subject to being broken with a large pair of pliers I think.

Regards