Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Beware of Cathay Pacific Frequent Flier program

Guest DeadMike68

Guest DeadMike68

Cathay's Marco Polo club definately sucks.... I have ben flying wiht them for about 6 yrs.. Detroit to BKK and SGN.... 3 yrs ago they changed their milage program to screw the little guy like me.... now the only class in eonomy theat rates milage is the Y class full fare..... well being a dumb ass.... I have been paying the full fare.. expecting to reap the benifit of up-grades to Business and a free flight....

What achump I was.... last three flights no up-grades avaliable.... OK so I book my free flight for Sept... what a total pain in the ass !!!! No ticket aval to SGN have to fly to Bankok and then pay to get to SGN.....this little extra is costing me $ 450.00....there is more.....

I now have a 11 hr. layover in Hong Kong... should be 1 1/2 hrs.... no seats available on earlier flight... then back to the states.... Fly American from LA to Detrot..... 10 hr layover ..... which isn't neccesary... American has aearlier flt. Cathay wants $150.00 to rebook that flight.... the individual in Hong Kong ( Marco Polo Club ) would not book me on the earlier flight......

After traveling more than 350,000 miles wiht nthem they can FUCK OFF.... I will pay a little less and fly Singapore Air.... better all a round....

OH, I almost forgot.... the fuel surcharge and taxes.... still don't know how much... as the person I talked to sad quote" I don't know what the charges are .. the ticket people will figure that out." What a shitty way to run a airline.....

One last thing .... I was charged 115,000 miles for my FREE ticket.........

Check out United frequent flyer program. I fly over 50K paid miles per year and I'm a premier executive with them. I pay for two and the third one is free. I get full mileage in the cheapest seat (natch). SQ you will get no mileage with the cheap seats.

I would definitely check NWA--Yes, their service is POOR for the most part however I have ALWAYS been able to use my miles.

Including during days around Christmas and New Year's--Business Class seats are also available, from my experience.

I would definitely check NWA--Yes, their service is POOR for the most part however I have ALWAYS been able to use my miles.

Including during days around Christmas and New Year's--Business Class seats are also available, from my experience.

Galt:

That is the exact opposite of my experience. I started trying in Nov/Dec for my last trip starting end of May and had no luck.

I have a 130K to burn and may try for Costa Rica for Dec or Thailand next April/May. Hopefully will have better luck.

I alway look for Cathay Specials without really worrying about FF miles. Many of their Deal of The Months don't even offer FF miles. But if you can get a good direct flight to HK from east coast US for around $800, it's worth it, IMO.

Hub

Edited by Hub

With NWA, you have to use AT LEAST 120K miles USA-BKK or vice versa--And that's for 'economy'.

I've booked a BUSINESS class ticket, for example, on NWA for early Jan, 07 for 120k--The return is economy for 60k (economy). Total, 180k miles.

And ticket's 'purchase' price was $4500++!

Not sure why you got jacked around by Cathay. That has never been their style, which is why they are consistently rated one of the world's very best airline. They have about 3-4 discounted economy fares that qualify for FULL Asia Miles.

The one thing about Cathay Pacific is that their Deal of the Month no longer gives you Asia miles. You need to pay about $60 above that rate for the miles.

I do not have 350,000 miles on them, but fly them 3 times a year, as I just switched from the AA program 2 years ago. I currently have a 6-figure Asia Miles balance. They always give me choice seating availability, free use of Marco Polo clubs, priority baggage allowance and business check-in & boarding, and almost always welcome me by name after I board the plane.

I am upgraded free to business class about 50% of the time, although mostly on their inter-asian flights and not on the transpacific ones (in which I always get bulkhead seats).

I just got a ticket for a shade over $900 for September, including all taxes. It was K class which is elligible for full Asia Miles. Not bad for a quality airline, especially since I get seats with plenty of leg room and the use of the business class lounges.

Edited by Alk
  • 3 weeks later...