Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Both Delta and NWA want to use Kim-Chi Airlines for my frequent ticket from the US. Is close to the exact dates I want to fly and NW couldn't get me on there flights.. Go figure..

Has anyone used them Korean Air ? There crach record sucked in the 90's.

Layover for 9/hrs in Seoul coming back.. I sure don't want to stay in the airport

for 9 hrs.. any suggestions.. ? Of course safety is a concern.

I take the same flight every trip to LOS via Delta/Korean Air for two reasons, the best price from where I live and the best schedule. The only complaint I have with Korean Air is their food SUCKS. It's edible, but I've never once had anything even remotely exciting. Why the long layover in Korea? The airlines have been minimizing flights lately to assure full loads. This makes it more important to book early to get the best schedules. I'll be heading to LOS in October, but I purchased my tickets in February. I have a 3 1/2 hour layover in Korea. You may want to try what a buddy and I did one year. We had a long layover, but upon arrival we went to the desk and asked if there was an earlier flight we could transfer to. (there may have been cancellations since you purchased your ticket) We boarded a much earlier flight and they charged no extra for the change.

Oh yeah, in case you're not familiar with that airport, it's actually located in Incheon which is about an hour (by taxi) from Central Seoul.

Here's a tidbit I copied off the web about the airport itself in case you're interested. (it opened in 2001)

The airport serves as a hub for international civilian air transportation and cargo traffic in East Asia. Security facilities are state-of-the-art and medical inspection equipment is also very advanced, in response to terrorist threats and various epidemics in southern Asia. As a result, Incheon International Airport is considered Asia's most technologically facilitated airport. It was recently voted the world's best airport in service and quality by the IATA.

I flew Korean Air last year, Atlanta-Seoul (Incheon)- BKK, and thought they were great. The stewardesses were very easy on the eyes and as sweet as could be- especially on the Seoul-BKK leg (they were BKK based). I'd use them again.

Thanks guys.. Free tickets are always good.. 60/k.. can you beleive NWA want 120/k for the same trip on there planes.. I was elite with them the last 4 years

and it bothers me I can get flights with them..

I'll try to get on the earlier flight. If I can't what do I do for 9/hrs ?

Long waits are going to be more common I think.

From the Bureau of Transportation Statistics:

"Thursday, July 13, 2006 - U.S. airlines carried 0.5 percent more domestic and international passengers and flew 4.8 percent fewer flights on their systems during the first four months of 2006 than they did during the same period in 2005"

US Flight Stats

It's a fact of life with higher fuel prices I think. The airlines have to cut costs everywhere they possibly can to hope to make a profit.

I noticed on EVA's website they will be adding two more triple 7's to their routes to the USA this year. By 2009 they will have a total of twelve 777-300ER's serving their USA routes, replacing all their present 747-400s. Smaller, more fuel efficient planes mean they can hold the line on costs and we are ultimately ahead, but at the price of having fewer options sometimes.

I haven't flown Korean Air for nearly ten years, but I'll be doing it twice on trips to LOS this fall. If this string is still around I'll give you my honest opinion afterwards.

~Sa-teef

I noticed on EVA's website they will be adding two more triple 7's to their routes to the USA this year.  By 2009 they will have a total of twelve 777-300ER's serving their USA routes, replacing all their present 747-400s.  Smaller, more fuel efficient planes mean they can hold the line on costs and we are ultimately ahead, but at the price of having fewer options sometimes.

EVA Air is primarily a shipping, as in freight, company and the Boeing 747s I've personally seen EVA use have all been Combi-s.

The 747-400 Combi with cargo of 10,422 cu.ft., seats 266 in the standard 3 class configuration (vs. 410 without the cargo). The Boeing 777-300ER seats 365 in the standard 3 class configuration and still can carry 7080 cu.ft. of cargo. Sounds like more seats will be available on EVA.

:beer

Edited by Samsonite

"EVA Air is primarily a shipping, as in freight, company and the Boeing 747s I've personally seen EVA use have all been Combi-s"

I think I've been on both varieties on EVA, but I wouldn't bet money on it.

Either way, I love flying triple 7's so it was good news to me!

NOT that I want to argue the point, but it looks like you may have got your information from the Boeing website:

Boeing Aircraft

365 seats in a 22/70/273 configuration.

But the EVA website describes their fleet in a little different terms:

EVA fleet

316 seats in a 42/63/211 configuration.

They probably generate nearly the same amount of revenue with the larger number of premium seats with less weight and operating expenses.

Their fleet information shows :

6- 744's, 9-744 combis, 3 744F's

with seating from 368-386 on the 744's to 272 seats for the 744Combis

==========================================

My September and November trips on Korean Airlines will be 744's from ORD to Seoul and 777-300's from Seoul to BKK. I'm looking forward to the trips for more than one reason!

~Sa-teef

Edited by Sa-teef

Korean Air has become my favorite for trans-Pacific flight. The food is excellent, and thanks to them I've become a big fan of Korean food; yes, even kimchee! Very good service and and attentive, well-trained flight attendants. Those of the female variety are far from hideous, too! Plenty of good in-seat video entertainment options, and the seats themselves are very good. I've flown them business class several times, and their biz class beats any domestic US first class by miles.

If you have a long layover at Incheon book yourself a room at the transit hotel inside the terminal. It's reasonably priced, very well appointed, and there is a good restaurant immediately adjacent.

Korean Air has become my favorite for trans-Pacific flight. The food is excellent, and thanks to them I've become a big fan of Korean food; yes, even kimchee! Very good service and and attentive, well-trained flight attendants. Those of the female variety are far from hideous, too! Plenty of good in-seat video entertainment options, and the seats themselves are very good. I've flown them business class several times, and their biz class beats any domestic US first class by miles.

If you have a long layover at Incheon book yourself a room at the transit hotel inside the terminal. It's reasonably priced, very well appointed, and there is a good restaurant immediately adjacent.

Unless things have changed I was given a room for the 8 hour layover at no cost in the Walker Hill place there.

• 3 weeks later...

MIA-ATL, then on to Bkk with Korean Air is my preferred flight, when the price is right. Now, UAL (through Chicago outbound, through Washington DC inbound) is cheapest.

Unless things have changed I was given a room for the 8 hour layover at no cost in the Walker Hill place there.

Probably has. Walker Hill would be a long way from the airport at Incheon. Transit hotel is a civilised way to knock a few hours off the layover. The airport has lots of bars and restaurants and the people watching is pretty good. It's still an airport, but quite a bit better than Narita or Taipei.

I've flown KAL from the U.S. to Bangkok via Incheon twice. KAL is fine. Their safety record was impacted because they had two flights taken down by intentional violence, both with hundreds of fatalities: Once the Russians shot them down, and once a terrorist blew up a plane in the air. If you exclude those two episodes, then their safety record was actually pretty decent. Their equipment is pretty new, a mix of Boeing 747 and 777, and their crews are all ex Korean Air Force.

Best of all, Incheon airport might well be the best place in the world to kill a significant layover. The KAL international transit lounge includes plenty of free PCs for internet access, and plenty of comfortable couches to sack out on. Inexpensive and good shower/massage facilities, and short stay hotel are available as well as a wide range of different places to eat and shop. And the chairs in the gate waiting areas don't have armrests, and they are plentiful, so you can sprawl across 3 of them and relax in comfort there, as well as in the transit lounge.

Edited by D1andonlyDman

I used to take the Delta/Korean flights as well for past trips but since the airfares have increased with fuel prices I have switched to flying to JFK and connecting with the non-stop Thai airways flight.

The prices right now are just as cheap or cheaper than any flights I can find with Delta and you also arrive in BKK about 7 hours earlier. The only problem might be finding an early morning flight to JFK that gives you time to connect with Thai.

My next trip in Oct. I will be driving two hours to Fort Lauderdale and taking a Jet Blue flight non-stop to JFK at $180 R/T. I will then have about 3 hours before my Thai flight leaves. $1036 R/T

So a total of about $1220. Including my driving, trip time will be about 25 hours which is still 2 hours shorter than with Delta from here and as I said I arrive 7 hours earlier.

If prices are comparable, I will go this route everytime. Just a suggestion for anyone else tired of the Pacific route.

Probably has. Walker Hill would be a long way from the airport at Incheon. Transit hotel is a civilised way to knock a few hours off the layover. The airport has lots of bars and restaurants and the people watching is pretty good. It's still an airport, but quite a bit better than Narita or Taipei.

The Walker Hill I used was right at the airport and damn nice as well small room but had everything and was free

• 4 weeks later...
How do you book the Walker Hill? I have an 10hour layover and I'm not looking forward to it :ang2

Ummmmm . . . . on their web site? Just a guess.