Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 251 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Taxi price from new airport?

Travelling time will be reduced by 30 minutes I would think. Expect to pay the same as the rate currently being charged from the old airport Don Muang.

I know Mr. Toom as already stated his charges will remain the same.

The reduction in travel time will be dependent upon the time that you arrive. I leave the airport around midnight and there is hardly any traffic so I'll knock off about 30 minutes. If your arriving during Bangkok rush hour you could save an hour or more.

From what I've seen, Thais are very price competitive. If Mr Toon isn't reducing his prices I'm sure others will. I'm hoping that some enterprising person will start a mini bus operation between the new airport and Pattaya. If they can make money running a bus between Bangkok and Pattaya while only charging around 120 baht there should be money to be made running a bus between the new airport and Pattaya for 200-300 baht. In 2 years, if they can stay on schedule, there will be many taxi drivers out of work when the skytrain opens between the airport and Bangkok.

Travelling time will be reduced by 30 minutes I would think. Expect to pay the same as the rate currently being charged from the old airport Don Muang.

I know Mr. Toom as already stated his charges will remain the same.

I agree the drivers will be charging the same I would be willing to bet.

Jan and i are going for a look a the new airport sunday to check things out.

maybe there will be restictions,or special passes,who knows.

we will be coming down in price with the same service.i will work that out next week.

as for the mini van idea,it would be good for thais who are based at the airport ,cause they pay a couple of million baht to have the licence.

but not a joe blow.

and to be fair to MR toom he is based in bkk,so he still has to do the same ks.

we are in pattaya,so a little shorter for us.

coming back to pattaya last week it took 1hr 40min,from the turn off to the new airport...to pattaya klang.[central rd]at midday,normal traffic.

there is still a lot of construction from chonburi to pats,and around the new airport.

when and if [thai time]thats finnished,faster still.late night arr quicker still.

Will not be doing a new airport to bkk,,,,,,so who ever you go with check those fares.if you have a regular service

and i will check on sunday for the over the counter fares to bkk,and get back to you.

good luck

paul

That would be true if he's based at the old airport. If he's based in ceteral Bangkok his trip would be about 50 Ks less as he wouldn't be traveling north and then back tracking. His trip would be even less Ks if he based south east of Bangkok.

I don't know if it's true or not but a thai friend mentioned that the new airport has a taxi/limo-monopoly given to someone in the Thaksin family and that every taxi and limo must pay a fee to the monopoly - so maybe that's the explanation.

That would be true if he's based at the old airport. If he's based in ceteral Bangkok his trip would be about 50 Ks less as he wouldn't be traveling north and then back tracking. His trip would be even less Ks if he based south east of Bangkok.

Mr Toom does not do all of the driving that people book through him. I booked through Mr toom last trip and the driver he supplied me with was from Naklua. I also have his card and will likely give him a call next trip as he already offered me a better price than Mr. Toom. :thumbup

Is the opening date for the new airport still 28th Sept?

Im landing on the 29th and i always like to prebook a taxi but seeing as i don't know which airport im landing at yet i don't suppose its a good idea to book yet.

Any advice anyone?

As someone not in the know, when the new airport opens will the old one close?

Or will they operate 2 airports eg. London Heathrow & Gatwick?

Just a thought!

Cheers

Al

:chogdee2

Is the opening date for the new airport still 28th Sept?

Im landing on the 29th and i always like to prebook a taxi but seeing as i don't know which airport im landing at yet i don't suppose its a good idea to book yet.

Any advice anyone?

Here in Philly US Airways opened a new terminal and it was CHAOS for days. Baggage took forever to reach the claim area. Expect a looong wait........... :banana

BTW travel time is reduced by 30 minutes. :chogdee2 I timed it last May around 4AM. I looked at my watch when we passed the new airport exit and 30 minutes later we arrived at the airport.

Edited by BigDUSA
I don't know if it's true or not but a thai friend mentioned that the new airport has a taxi/limo-monopoly given to someone in the Thaksin family and that every taxi and limo must pay a fee to the monopoly - so maybe that's the explanation.

I heard from a taxi driver that the new airport will charge a (significant) fee for all taxi pickups, so it might eliminate any savings that should be expected by the lesser distance from Don Muang.

I heard from a taxi driver that the new airport will charge a (significant) fee for all taxi pickups, so it might eliminate any savings that should be expected by the lesser distance from Don Muang.

I can see that for the taxis that are based at the airport as they have the privilege of parking in front of arrivals and utilize the booking service in the arrivals hall. I was told that they now charge an additional 50 baht above the meter to cover that charge. But unless they install a toll plaza in front of the airport to charge the taxis arriving from Pattaya to drop off passangers and the private vehicle picking up or dropping off there will be no additional cost.

Sept 28th is still the date being staed by TAT but I'l bet anyone large amounts that it is not running properly by that date.....even tho it is almost 2 years later than anticipated........

Competition should see the price come down for direct taxi to Patts....and go up for trip into BKK

Jan and i are going for a look a the new airport sunday to check things out.

maybe there will be restictions,or special passes,who knows.

we will be coming down in price with the same service.i will work that out next week.

as for the mini van idea,it would be good for thais who are based at the airport ,cause they pay a couple of million baht to have the licence.

but not a joe blow.

we are in pattaya,so a little shorter for us.

coming back to pattaya last week it took 1hr 40min,from the turn off to the new airport...to pattaya klang.[central rd]at midday,normal traffic.

there is still a lot of construction from chonburi to pats,and around the new airport.

when and if [thai time]thats finnished,faster still.late night arr quicker still.

Will not be doing a new airport to bkk,,,,,,so who ever you go with check those fares.if you have a regular service

and i will check on sunday for the over the counter fares to bkk,and get back to you.

good luck

paul

I'll be checking for your updated prices. I enjoyed your service when I was there this past Feb/Mar and will contact you when I come back to Thailand. :rolleyes:

I fired off an email the other day asking the car service that I use if they would be reducing their prices once the new airport opened. I received a reply yesterday from them telling me that they would be reducing their price from 1200 to 1000 or a 16% reduction. I'm pissed that I didn't take that bet offered by another board member. :banghead

According to the Suvannabhumi Transportation Guidelines [6], only flat-fare limousine services will be allowed to operate directly from the airport terminal. Passengers will have to take a shuttle bus to the bus terminal 3 km away in order to use ordinary metered taxi services. At the current airport Don Muang these limousine services are more expensive than taking a metered taxi.

Got this from Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

Edited by Changster
Here in Philly US Airways opened a new terminal and it was CHAOS for days. Baggage took forever to reach the claim area. Expect a looong wait........... :chogdee

BTW travel time is reduced by 30 minutes.

I would expect the time savings to be even greater than 30 minutes during peak hours. :unsure:

Interesting tidbit for us cheap charlies.

Suvarnabhumi is now very near to completion and is officially due to start accepting commercial flights on September 28th, although the final handover (when it will take over all scheduled commercial flights from Don Muang, as well as the "BKK" airport code) will most likely be some time later. Suvarnabhumi is located some 40 km closer to Pattaya, around 60-90 minutes away by road, on Bangkok's eastern outskirts. An inter-provincial bus service directly connecting Suvarnabhumi Airport with Pattaya will be operated by the state-run Transport Co.

from http://wikitravel.org/en/pattaya

I fired off an email the other day asking the car service that I use if they would be reducing their prices once the new airport opened. I received a reply yesterday from them telling me that they would be reducing their price from 1200 to 1000 or a 16% reduction. I'm pissed that I didn't take that bet offered by another board member. :D

Well you better stick with that service as I have been in and spoke to 2 taxi service Companys and was told that There rates will stay the same no change.

I have never paid the initial price I was quoted for a car to take me to Pattaya. No doubt their initial quoted price will be the same, but I am very sure that their willingness to accept a lower price or else have you walk away will be altered by the shorter duration of the trip. I have also always had the tolls quoted to me as an adder to the agreed price - for example, 1200 plus 200 tolls. If there is no tolls, there will be no toll adder.

I fired off an email the other day asking the car service that I use if they would be reducing their prices once the new airport opened. I received a reply yesterday from them telling me that they would be reducing their price from 1200 to 1000 or a 16% reduction. I'm pissed that I didn't take that bet offered by another board member. <grin

Who provides this service please? How old are the cars, are they reliable etc?

:chogdee