Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Might be me, but when the new airport (suvarnabhumi?) opens will the old one co-exist or close down?

If there will be just one obviously all flights to Bangkok will be the new airport, but if two airports how do you know which one you'll be flying to?

Assuming of course new airport is classed as Bangkok.

Info much appreciated.

Cheers

Al

:thumbup

At 03:00 on 28 September all commercial flights will go to the new airport.

At the moment the new Suvarnabhumi (pronounced su-wan-na-poom) Airport is, NBK. The ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) code is, VTBS.

Once the switch is made at 3AM on 28 September the new airport will become,

BKK.

I haven't heard what the new IATA (International Air Transport Association) designation will be for the old Don Muang airport, however the ICAO code is, and will remain, VTBD.

Just for General Information: "The airport codes, also known as IATA location identifiers, are used in the reservation computer systems of airlines and agents. They appear on reservation slips and are prominently displayed on baggage tags attached at airport check-in desks........................While the IATA codes are the most familiar airport codes to airline passengers, four-letter airport codes as defined by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) are becoming increasingly common within the aviation industry.

All international flights are planned and tracked using ICAO designators, and most GPS (Global Positioning System - the satellite navigation system) databases use ICAO codes."

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/19

Edited by Samsonite
At 03:00 on 28 September all commercial flights will go to the new airport.

At the moment the new Suvarnabhumi (pronounced su-wan-na-poom) Airport is, NBK. The ICAO (International Civil Aviation Organization) code is, VTBS.

Once the switch is made at 3AM on 28 September the new airport will become,

BKK.

I haven't heard what the new IATA (International Air Transport Association) designation will be for the old Don Muang airport, however the ICAO code is, and will remain, VTBD.

Just for General Information: "The airport codes, also known as IATA location identifiers, are used in the reservation computer systems of airlines and agents. They appear on reservation slips and are prominently displayed on baggage tags attached at airport check-in desks........................While the IATA codes are the most familiar airport codes to airline passengers, four-letter airport codes as defined by the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) are becoming increasingly common within the aviation industry.

All international flights are planned and tracked using ICAO designators, and most GPS (Global Positioning System - the satellite navigation system) databases use ICAO codes."

http://www.bangkokairportonline.com/node/19

Thanks Samsonite.

More info than I expected.

It amazes me how so many guys on the boards are so well clued up.

Well impressed. :beer

Cheers

Al

:chogdee2

From what I've read, Don Muang will close as far as passenger flights are concerned. The Royal Thai Air Force will continue to use it though.

Alan

I telephoned EVA Airlines today and they were still far from convinced that the new airport will actually open on time.

I am just glad I am flying in on 23rd October and not the 1st!

I telephoned EVA Airlines today and they were still far from convinced that the new airport will actually open on time.

I have it on good authority that if the new airport doesn't open on 28th September, it mostdefinitely will on 23rd October. :clap1

Hopefully, they'll have sorted out a few of the bugs by the time you arrive.

Alan

So, if I arrive in LOS in late Dec the new airport will almost certainly be open. Is it true that the new airport is between Bangkok and Pattaya? If so, since I arrive very late (0100) the question of staying in Bkk or straight to Patts is a no-brainer. Sorry to ramble, my question is how far is the new airport from Patts and Bangkok?

So, if I arrive in LOS in late Dec the new airport will almost certainly be open. Is it true that the new airport is between Bangkok and Pattaya? If so, since I arrive very late (0100) the question of staying in Bkk or straight to Patts is a no-brainer. Sorry to ramble, my question is how far is the new airport from Patts and Bangkok?

The nwe airport is on the other side of Bangkok from the old one so there should be a saving of about half an hour or so in the time it takes to get to Pattaya. Whether or not there will be a reduction in the taxi fare to reflect this remains to be seen though.

Alan

Oh bugger. I get in on the 30th. I was hoping that it would either open on time or be delayed until I've got there. :thumbup

Just as long as they don't lose my golf clubs. :thumbup

Eneukman

If you have it on good authority the new airport will not open on 28th Sept why then have Singapore Airlines advised customers all their flights will operate from the new airport as of 0300 on 28th Septemnber ?

Eneukman

If you have it on good authority the new airport will not open on 28th Sept why then have Singapore Airlines advised customers all their flights will operate from the new airport as of 0300 on 28th Septemnber ?

Brown1950, may I suggest that you read my post again. I did NOT say that I had it on good authority that the new airport would NOT open on 28th September. :eyecrazy :cry1 :cry1

Also, note the smiley at the end of my comment to show that I wasn't being serious. :cry2

Alan

Could all be a bit confusing for some travellers, especially newbies, elderly or inexperienced. Imagine arriving at DM and having a 25 minute taxi ride to your hotel - which you plan for on return. If the new airport is the "other side" it could be 90 minutes away.

I am also quite sure we will see a spate of people missing planes unless the airlines and taxis really get their acts together. Either because they dont allow enough time for the longer journey OR they go back to the same (wrong) airport they arrived at.

Arriving at one and leaving from another could be a nightmare for some people.

And parts of the old airport will be used :-

a) Market

I thought you deal in facts and not words - the market project is about as much a fact as 6 month ago it was the "Budget Airline terminal" :chogdee

cheers

cyber

Cybers 1b

Ok put your head above the bunker and tell me what you know about the old and new airports ?

As you know in Thailand things change from week to week - i even heard today that some tests have failed at the new airport and the opening will now be postponed until early next year ! Who knows what next week will bring ? Perhaps you could give me your knowledge on the opening of the new airport especially as i return to the uk on 28th Sept !

Cybers 1b

Ok put your head above the bunker and tell me what you know about the old and new airports ?

As you know in Thailand things change from week to week - i even heard today that some tests have failed at the new airport and the opening will now be postponed until early next year ! Who knows what next week will bring ? Perhaps you could give me your knowledge on the opening of the new airport especially as i return to the uk on 28th Sept !

There where many reports recently in the Thai Language Press about what would happen to Don Muang after its closed - but to the best of my knowledge - it has not yet been decided - this changes every few month - the only thing you can be pretty certain of is that part of it will be used by the Air Force as extension the the neighbouring Don Muang Airfoce base...

If you fly out of BKK on 28th - ask your Airline - they will be the only one who (hopefully) can tell you where their plane will depart from -

I have worked on a project at the New Airport and I always said that nobody with half a brain thinks that end of september will be a realistic date to open the airport on a fully operational base because no real stress tests have been done on the systems - infrastructure (especially train tracks to the new airport) has not been fully completed - Thai Airways Labor Council has expressed serious doubts too - The ICAO says that the airport is ready to operate but not with full capacity - Most major Airlines say the same. We will see.

Don't forget that the english langugae Press in Thailand is only a very small part and that there are many things that never make the english papers...

But who knows - they probably will ignore all warnings and will open the Airport just the same - and it may end in the same chaotic opening phase as Hong Kong or KL..

Anyway - as for your date of departure - your airline should be able to give you the best advise...

cheers

cyber

The same doom and gloom predictions were made about the skytrain and subway systems. Incompetent Thais etc etc etc. Both have proven to be much better than anything that we can offer in UK and I've no doubt the new airport will be pretty much the same.

Anyone got any idea when LHR T5 or Wembley Stadium will open?

The same doom and gloom predictions were made about the skytrain and subway systems. Incompetent Thais etc etc etc. Both have proven to be much better than anything that we can offer in UK and I've no doubt the new airport will be pretty much the same.

Anyone got any idea when LHR T5 or Wembley Stadium will open?

Never saíd anything about incompetent Thais - but a project of this scale is bound to be delayed - no matter where - the new airport is probably the most modern airport in the world when it opens - its great - but that dóes not mean that it is save from the same problems that happend to Airports like HK and KL - I'd say everybody involved did great work..a bit more testing would be fine though...for the sake of everybody involved...

I read on stickman that there is a strong rumour that it wont be open till march 2007. I hope that is the case as i am due to arrive on the 6th of october. When i pre-booked my seat with eva they said to call them closer to the departure date and they might know more by then.

regards

step

Never saíd anything about incompetent Thais - but a project of this scale is bound to be delayed - no matter where - the new airport is probably the most modern airport in the world when it opens - its great - but that dóes not mean that it is save from the same problems that happend to Airports like HK and KL - I'd say everybody involved did great work..a bit more testing would be fine though...for the sake of everybody involved...

Quite simply, the airport won't get certified unless the systems are tested. ICAO doesn't certify the airport but it does lay down the standards required for certification by the national authority. To suggest that "a bit more testing would be fine" seems to imply that the testing currently being undertaken to meet the required standards is inadequate. :fingers

The timing of the opening means that folk on all sides of the political landscape will be trying to make capital out of the project and, no doubt, there will be teething difficulties. Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to test all systems for the number of flights expected in just one 24 hour period so, to a certain extent, those guys travelling in Oct/Nov,myself included, will be guinea pigs but the end result will be well worth it.

I think you have to read carefully what people are saying about the new airport. It will open on 28th Sep ......... OK. What they haven't said is that DM will close on 28 Sep. It is entirely feasible that the new airport could "open" for limited operations on 28 Sep with a phased migration thereafter. A case of wait and see .........

Edited by CheshireTom
I think you have to read carefully what people are saying about the new airport. It will open on 28th Sep ......... OK. What they haven't said is that DM will close on 28 Sep. It is entirely feasible that the new airport could "open" for limited operations on 28 Sep with a phased migration thereafter. A case of wait and see .........

Well, yes they have said that, in a way. At 03:00 on 28 September the 3 letter designation, BKK, will belong to the new airport. As of the moment a new 3 letter designation has not been assigned to Don Muang Airport. In otherwords, it will cease commercial operation at that time.

All subject to change, of course.

:fingers

Edited by Samsonite

Airport fees to go up

BANGKOK: -- Air passengers will be asked to pay heavier departure taxes from early next year, Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT) said yesterday.

The international departure tax would be increased by Bt200 to Bt700 and domestic passengers would incur a Bt100 fee, up from a current Bt50. The increase would be effective from February 1 .

AOT operates Suvarnabhumi Airport. It had planned to introduce the new taxes upon the opening of the new airport on September 28. Meanwhile, new landing fees levied on aircraft using the airport would be imposed from April 1, 2007. That is a six-month delay from the original schedule.

AOT said it was postponing the new fee to attract airlines to Suvarnabhumi. The new landing fee is a 15-per-cent increase on that charged at Don Muang airport.

AOT explained earlier that fees at Suvarnabhumi Airport needed to be raised due to the greater amenities and facilities that would be provided. After 40 years in the making Suvarnabhumi has cost Bt150 billion. It is scheduled to start operations on September 28.

--The Nation 2006-08-29