Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 257 Guests (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

Internet down most of the time with TOT

About ten days ago, for five days out of seven, I was completely unable to send out anything on the Internet, including e-mail. Then someone came out from TOT who downloaded a file that changed configuration settings and voila I could now makes.changes to my web site, send emails, etc but my renewed ability to actually accomplish something online must have lasted for 2 days tops. I had to go to the U.S. for a week. BUt I've been calling my Thai girlfriend back at the condo who tells me we've not had internet access for five days now.

So for the past two weeks we've been doing without internet access more often than we've had it. ONe thing I've noticed however and that's for some reason Tot has our condo going through a proxy. I checked the computers at Sktyop INternet cafe and although it also uses TOT it does not go through a proxy. WE are thinking the proxy is dropping packets or not doing its job and this could be the main culprit. ANyone has any ideas on the subject?

Edited by jackcorbett
About ten days ago, for five days out of seven, I was completely unable to send out anything on the Internet, including e-mail. Then someone came out from TOT who downloaded a file that changed configuration settings and voila I could now makes.changes to my web site, send emails, etc but my renewed ability to actually accomplish something online must have lasted for 2 days tops. I had to go to the U.S. for a week. BUt I've been calling my Thai girlfriend back at the condo who tells me we've not had internet access for five days now.

So for the past two weeks we've been doing without internet access more often than we've had it. ONe thing I've noticed however and that's for some reason Tot has our condo going through a proxy. I checked the computers at Sktyop INternet cafe and although it also uses TOT it does not go through a proxy. WE are thinking the proxy is dropping packets or not doing its job and this could be the main culprit. ANyone has any ideas on the subject?

If you see an TT.T van around pull them over,,,, and with a little sling,,, they will get u a line 2500,[offical].[sling 200] max internet... keep there mobile no for if you have prob,again ring them not tt.t and sling them when they come.then all u have to worry about are the normal black outs and stopages in pattaya.

good luck

paul

My landlord arranged the installation of my broadband connection for me - with TOT!!! They are bloody useless and the service has been down at least three times in the last 10 days or so. My modem is meant to be 512/256 but my down load speed can be slower than dial up or at times 700 kbs. Currently it's 432/316. A 2nd test has produced almost identical results.

Alan

I was helping Jack investigate this problem and this is what we saw. He's in Pattaya and I'm near

San Francisco.

We we talking to eachother on Skype (we even tried sending video) and it worked with no problems.

Thus the internet connectivity and performance was adequate.

However if he tried to access a web site it would just take forever if it worked at all.

We noticed that the web site receiving his web request was being told that this request was being

sent on his behalf by a proxy program at a certain IP address. We did a traceroute and found

the proxy machine to be 4 or 5 hops away and on a machine run by TOT.

My theory is that the proxy program is there to intercept requests for "bad" web sites (as defined by

the government) so that a "you can't view this site" page can be sent back. I believe that this

proxy program is just overloaded.

What's curious though is that some TOT users (Jack mentioned skytop) don't have their

web requests sent through this proxy. Is that possible? Are there different levels of service (monitored

and non monitored)?

I'll be in Pattaya in a few weeks and I was going to try to arrange a meeting with everyone involved in this (including someone from TOT who really understand networking) and try to solve this problem. Is it crazy to think that we could find someone from TOT with the knowledge and desire to fix an issue like this?

I just came back from the U.S. TOT connection down for nine more days.

tot At 2nd Internet cafe with no proxy. My theory is TOT must keep Internet cafes going as they are businesses but they give the shaft to residents of condos figuring condo owners have more money than brains.

I have a test and would appreciate help from as many of you as possible. Try going to http://www.alphapro.com//YaBB.pl and see if you can get in as I have disallowed proxy access This will determine if your residence connection goes through a proxy or not. Then, please message me if you can get in or not.

Very possibly someone is using proxies for residential customers and money is being made thru screwing the customer.

I will keep disallowing access through proxy servers for two days

I might be onto something. We need ammunition to take to someone high up with TOT

all private internet connection has to go through a transparent proxy i thailand - that is valid for ALL internet providers...with some - you are able to figure it out - woith some, you wont even recognize it - these transparent proxies are how they censor the net in thailand...

Some provider have them set up pretty well - others not..

With TRUE for example there have been so many problems with login into bkktonite.com that they (bkktonite) even wrote a guide on how to circumvent the proxies :)

ToT is not known for good service - nowhere in Thailand..

cheers

cyber

If TOT is bad and TRUE is as well, who gives good DSL service?

Do you think they're using the Squid proxy and are using the 'delay pool' feature of that program (or a similar program) to slow down connections for certain customers?

My TOT broadband service was down yet again yesterday afternoon. What we really need is a direct fax number for TOT's managing director and flood him with complaints a few minutes apart. I don't know whether the media (Pattaya Mail/Pattaya People Weekly etc) would want to become involved or not.

I tried accessing the site Jack provided a link to via Firefox and AOL and both times simply got a blank page. With Firefix, I was blocked from getting into Bargirls.com but got in ok with AOL.

I was speaking to my brother on the phone on Sunday using Skype (he was using his landline in Scotland) and his voice was breaking up something awful yet mine was fine at his end.

Alan

Finally.....back online. And TOT is finally sending someone over, tomorrow....Shows how much this company is concerned with customer service. Talked with Helmut today who is the ramrod getting this condo done. He said Wongamat Residence started with TRUE, which was really bad. He said a few other things I will not repeat here but it had something to do with being cheated.

I agree that we all need to stick together to give ourselves a little clout. By the way, an English pal of mine turned me onto a man I had met a few times before. A Dutchman who owns the first bar on the South side of Soi Six. Anyway, he's pretty savvy about the Internet in Pattaya so I went to his bar tonight and asked about wireless. He felt it was worth looking into as did my English pal. Anyone know anything about it? I understand one can look into it at Tuccom on South Pattaya Road.

Hi,

I think LOS needs some falang engineers etc. to get the system working at its best. It would be nice to get some input from any falang engineers who are working in LOS on what standards are like on local networks etc. and what the standard and up time of internet is like on local Corporate networks.

Hi,

I think LOS needs some falang engineers etc. to get the system working at its best. It would be nice to get some input from any falang engineers who are working in LOS on what standards are like on local networks etc. and what the standard and up time of internet is like on local Corporate networks.

There are some more then excellent Thai engineers in the Business - as a matter of fact - at TRUE I have worked with Thais and Farangs and most of the Farangs where dickheads and incompetent while the Thais where really excellent at their job (and they earn a fraction of the farangs).

The problem is more like that even the large companies like TRUE dont want to sp[end any money on upgrading some vital systems - at least TRUE has spent a lot on upgrading the international links, but that alone does not solve all problems - I think that what you get from TRUE in Bangkok for less then 1000 Baht is a really good product for private use...CS-Loxinfo just the same - I would stay away from ToT - wherever in Thailand - I dont know if CAT does now offer products for residential customers as well - but they of course do own all the international links and therefore have the most reliable connection speeds - they used to be available only for corporate customers though when it comes to Internet.

cheers

cyber

JackC. I would stay away from wireless at this time until you get a good signal and faster speeds. Me, I would stick with wired for now, why, well, if your speed is slow at least you don't lose anything to a wifi network.

I use wifi for my cable here in the US. And my second computer in another room was compromised with download speeds for Limewire and Edonkey. Suffice it to say, I invested in another modem and stuck to wired connections, so as not to have any speed loss.

Dotcom.....I hear you loud and clear. I am presently on my laptop. Friend of mine on the desktop and I am using a wireless connection but I have a wireless access point plugged into a jack. Works fine for a second computer here but I agree, best to rely on the tested proven hard wired setup and keep the laptop and wireless just for the home network which probably does lose some speed for the laptop.

There are some more then excellent Thai engineers in the Business - as a matter of fact - at TRUE I have worked with Thais and Farangs and most of the Farangs where dickheads and incompetent while the Thais where really excellent at their job

Hi,

Thanks for putting me right. :D It seems who you use is critical and there is a lack of spending on the infrastructure within the country so if you go outside BKK the service is going to be patchy.

Finally.....back online. And TOT is finally sending someone over, tomorrow....Shows how much this company is concerned with customer service. Talked with Helmut today who is the ramrod getting this condo done. He said Wongamat Residence started with TRUE, which was really bad. He said a few other things I will not repeat here but it had something to do with being cheated.

I agree that we all need to stick together to give ourselves a little clout. By the way, an English pal of mine turned me onto a man I had met a few times before. A Dutchman who owns the first bar on the South side of Soi Six. Anyway, he's pretty savvy about the Internet in Pattaya so I went to his bar tonight and asked about wireless. He felt it was worth looking into as did my English pal. Anyone know anything about it? I understand one can look into it at Tuccom on South Pattaya Road.

I have been experiencing similar problems with TOT - their service is a bloody disgrace. It has failed on almost a daily basis for the last 10 days or so and went down yet again yesterday afternoon and as far as I know hasn't been back up since.

The office at View Talay has given me a number to try but it's engaged (038-425553). Jack, anyone, do you have another number that I can phone?

Alan

Well, my broadband came back up at 3.30 this afternoon, about 24 hours after it went down. So far, it's working well but .................... it's only been back 6 1/2 hours.

Alan

I have had so many people at my bar complaining about loss of usage on TOT they they have had to use mine.

I have not experienced a single problem, I am with TT&T 1024/512 unlimited 1400baht per month.

Change is as good as a rest?

I have had so many people at my bar complaining about loss of usage on TOT they they have had to use mine.

I have not experienced a single problem, I am with TT&T 1024/512 unlimited 1400baht per month.

Change is as good as a rest?

If this lack of service continues, I'll need to ask my landlord if it's OK for me to change my broadband provider (he arranged for it to be installed). Maxnet has also been recommended to me as being pretty reliable.

Alan

There's a new fly in the ointment. For two days all internet connections here have been down. But thanks to my pal who just got here from the U.S. we've found the most recent culprits have not been TOT but at least two Westerners living in the condos here at Wongamat Residence. Here's what has happened. My ip address should be automatically changed but it should always be in a range that goes like this. 10.0.0.10. But we've found that the ip address on both my wireless connection with the laptop and the desktop that is connected directly to the wall has been assigned an ip address that begins with 92. Turns out that one resident has a Belkin device that he has plugged in the wrong way to that it feeds ip addresses to the other residents that guarantee they can never connect to the Internet. We have identified this person as Belkin, but we have now identified still another resident as Linksys. So there are at least two guys who are plugging in their routers or access points into their Lan jacks from the wrong jacks on their machines.

There is a temporary fix to this problem...until we can find the culprits that is. The fix is to go to the MS Dos prompt and type in ipconfig /release This sets the ip address to 0.0.0.0 The next step is to type in at the MS Dos prompt ipconfig/ renew It might take several attempts but what this does is to set the ip address to where it should be with a number starting with 10.

There's a new fly in the ointment. For two days all internet connections here have been down. But thanks to my pal who just got here from the U.S. we've found the most recent culprits have not been TOT but at least two Westerners living in the condos here at Wongamat Residence. Here's what has happened. My ip address should be automatically changed but it should always be in a range that goes like this. 10.0.0.10. But we've found that the ip address on both my wireless connection with the laptop and the desktop that is connected directly to the wall has been assigned an ip address that begins with 92. Turns out that one resident has a Belkin device that he has plugged in the wrong way to that it feeds ip addresses to the other residents that guarantee they can never connect to the Internet. We have identified this person as Belkin, but we have now identified still another resident as Linksys. So there are at least two guys who are plugging in their routers or access points into their Lan jacks from the wrong jacks on their machines.

There is a temporary fix to this problem...until we can find the culprits that is. The fix is to go to the MS Dos prompt and type in ipconfig /release This sets the ip address to 0.0.0.0 The next step is to type in at the MS Dos prompt ipconfig/ renew It might take several attempts but what this does is to set the ip address to where it should be with a number starting with 10.

Sounds complicated - so I hope I never have to do this.

My connection has been fine for the last few days though the speed hasn't been particularly great.

Alan