Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Look"s like the Phillippines will be the New retire Heaven

Thailand Up"s and down"s and all around .........

Here it comes the Step sister of the Asian orient, Phillippines Overall cheaper to live in Lots of girls Yes the day to day stuff isnt as nice as Thailand. However No issues with Retire"s and the Best part the Goverment is SO Broke and it will never change.

I predict the Pi will know become a Hotspot for Retire"s and such over the next few years as the unstable Thai goverment remains in a funk.

Look at it this way AT least the GFE is much better in the Pinas then Thailand could ever offer !!!!!!!

Something to Think about ????????????????

mrstein

There are a load of retires in the PI mainly ex US military...... however I would say..... best of luck ... if you are thinking of retiring there... I mean it.

Had a house there for about 4 years, prior to deciding to give it all up and move to LOS... PI.. never again. It's great for a week or so max. Anymore and you are fooling yourself.

Look why not take all your cash out the bank now and just fire to it now... because that's what it will feel like when you move there.

Plus take loads of medication for high blood pressure, as anything which takes 2mins to do in LOS... like say using an ATM... well in the PI it can last 1/2 a day :brokeheart ... It is frustrating as fuck dealing with filipino's... they have a stupid mentality of fucking up even the most mudane daily task.

Edited by ruskiehat

I've heard some U.S. gents talk glowingly about cost of living and quality of life in Costa Rica...but if you like SE Asian Women, that wouldn't do, would it.

early-retirement.org

Use their search feature for discussions of various countries.

or

www.internationalliving.com

Others have done this before us -- but my read is that none have done it in our particular socio-economic envirionment. Which is BS phrasing for . . . pensions are going away and people have to figure out how to retire without them and how to get health care.

Edited by Owen`
Phillippines Overall cheaper to live in

Actually, it's not. Not by a long shot. I lived in Manila for 2 months -- Feb/March -- and it was far from being cheaper than Bangkok or Pattaya.

Still, I loved PI. When I was there, even in downtown Manila (Ermita, actually), I thought it would be a fantastic place to set up shop. Not as nice as Thialand, as mrstein has said, but a nice second place!

Certainly there's more to the Philippines than Manilla. I've never been there, but I hear Cebu might be OK. Suppose a person could no longer live in Thailand, for whatever reason. Cebu might be an alternative. In any event you can supposedly live there on a tourist visa. Just pay to have it extended every so often and leave the country once a year. Seems simple enough to me.

Rex

Unless the Thai government want more investors into their country they need to understand to accept that they will have to let foreigners own land or purchase land. One thing that hopefully the newly planned government is going to have to decide on.

Other asian countries are watching cautiously what the new government in Thailand is going to do to reestablish investors to the country.

As far as the Philippines, it really depends what kind of lifestyle you want to live. If you are on party/holiday mode when you are retired, you better be close to half a million worth to continue on that lifestyle.

There are other places outside of Manila to live. Cebu was mentioned as well as other islands that are much cheaper and far more frugal lifestyle.

And with everyday dealings with people in the Philippines, as with any other country in Asia, money talks. If you want something processed in half and hour, you need to pay money to expedite this. It is the same in most asian countries. One other way, is done whether in the Philippines, Thailand, Singapore or etc. is they just charge a set rate to work on papers. Thailand does this, example Vat return at the airport, there is a "processing" fee.

It's a couple more years for me, unless there are changes in my life to speed things to retirement. One thing though, it will be in asia.

Actually, it's not. Not by a long shot. I lived in Manila for 2 months -- Feb/March -- and it was far from being cheaper than Bangkok or Pattaya.

Still, I loved PI. When I was there, even in downtown Manila (Ermita, actually), I thought it would be a fantastic place to set up shop. Not as nice as Thialand, as mrstein has said, but a nice second place!

PI is a lot cheaper than Thailand to live in. Manila is not cheap for a foreigner but the rest of the PI is cheap.

I recently spent 7 months there but would not live there or make plans to retire there under the present political climate. It is so corrupt you would not believe it. You can quite literally be ruined overnight there and there is sweet F.A. you can do about it.

The fact that English is the second language for a large percentage of them makes it easier for them to scam us.

I will be checking out Laos Indonesia and Malaysia on my next excursion and I hope to revisit Cambodia and try Vietnam for the first time also.

So far, I have found Udon Thani to be the place best suited to my needs but I will be looking at many different places before I take off my boots.

Papillon, I think that Indonesia and Malaysia may be unstable with the political climate with the muslims. There have been bombings and that would not be a safe haven in my opinion.

Vietnam is nice, beautiful women and country but lousy government with regards to hobbying with women. It is still illegal to bring a woman to your hotel room with punishment of jail. I am not a gambling man with regards communist regimes.

Burma they say may be a nice haven to retire.

Lastly do not give the Philippines the boot. If you have travelled to other areas outside the Luzon such as the Visayas region or Northern and Southern Luzon, it is still unspoiled and very reasonable with a simple way of life, some with beaches that would rival Hawaii and the Caribbean.

Thailand Up"s and down"s and all around .........

Here it comes the Step sister of the Asian orient, Phillippines Overall cheaper to live in Lots of girls Yes the day to day stuff isnt as nice as Thailand. However No issues with Retire"s and the Best part the Goverment is SO Broke and it will never change.

I predict the Pi will know become a Hotspot for Retire"s and such over the next few years as the unstable Thai goverment remains in a funk.

Look at it this way AT least the GFE is much better in the Pinas then Thailand could ever offer !!!!!!!

Something to Think about ????????????????

mrstein

Same old Crap that you used to post on AC2 before "Mindlinker" went off the air! All those years in the philippines and still you cannot even spell it correctly,how are we to give any credibility to your "Expert" opinions.

After living for 14 years in the past,in that shithole you so proudly call your "Home" I can assure you that this that dump will NEVER become a retirees Hotspot.Cambodia will develop far sooner and even Vietnam,as the price structure for in the PI is far outstripping the SEASIA average.

The Government of Thailand,even now under the military is 10 times more stable now than the PI has been in the past or can aspire to in the future! <grin :party :ang2

Papillon, I think that Indonesia and Malaysia may be unstable with the political climate with the muslims. There have been bombings and that would not be a safe haven in my opinion.

Vietnam is nice, beautiful women and country but lousy government with regards to hobbying with women. It is still illegal to bring a woman to your hotel room with punishment of jail. I am not a gambling man with regards communist regimes.

Burma they say may be a nice haven to retire.

Lastly do not give the Philippines the boot. If you have travelled to other areas outside the Luzon such as the Visayas region or Northern and Southern Luzon, it is still unspoiled and very reasonable with a simple way of life, some with beaches that would rival Hawaii and the Caribbean.

I have spent time in the Visayas. Leyte and Samar. I agree with what you say about the unspoilt beauty in general. You're right that you can live simply and cheaply but you still have problems buying land in your own name and you encounter corruption at every level.

I don't think I want to be an old man, mostly defenceless in an environment like that. You often hear of foreigners getting murdered over there by the Filipina wife's family, for the money of course. It goes unreported a lot of the time because nobody is ever prosecuted.

I'm a long way off retirement so hopefully things will get better.

I have spent a couple of months total in Angeles City PI and Sihinoukville Cambodia, for many of the reasons stated above if I was forced to leave Thailand I would move to Cambodia but would not consider PI. On owning land in LOS, I recorded the purchase of a home in Udon Thani in my corporations's name after the edict went down (handled by my attorney) and recently read on one of the boards that the same can be done in Pattaya as long as it is less than 1 rai. I am in a option/agreement of sale for one here and am not really worried.

I wouldn't have a problem in Snookyville. I finish work in about 3 years and I am out of the US of A. SE Asia will be my home. If it isn't LOS it will be Cambo, 2nd choice and really wouldn't mind it being 1st.

From the PI expat's I've talked to they ail mentioned the lack of security as the main reason for moving to LOS. I've only stopped at the Manila airport on my way to Vietnam and haven't a clue if what they told me was true. For and old geezer like myself security is very high on my list of must haves. :clueless

From the PI expat's I've talked to they ail mentioned the lack of security as the main reason for moving to LOS. I've only stopped at the Manila airport on my way to Vietnam and haven't a clue if what they told me was true. For and old geezer like myself security is very high on my list of must haves. :D

You might have a problem finding what we would call real security anywhere in SEA. The standards are not as high as we in the Western world are used to. :rolleyes:

There are a load of retires in the PI mainly ex US military...... however I would say..... best of luck ... if you are thinking of retiring there... I mean it.

Had a house there for about 4 years, prior to deciding to give it all up and move to LOS... PI.. never again. It's great for a week or so max. Anymore and you are fooling yourself.

Look why not take all your cash out the bank now and just fire to it now... because that's what it will feel like when you move there.

Plus take loads of medication for high blood pressure, as anything which takes 2mins to do in LOS... like say using an ATM... well in the PI it can last 1/2 a day :rolleyes: ... It is frustrating as fuck dealing with filipino's... they have a stupid mentality of fucking up even the most mudane daily task.

I've spent up to 3 months at a shot in Angeles City and I generally agree with what Deep says here. One exception, most Filipinas are genuinly attracted to western men and get wet as hell when banging them. Thai's do it only as a job (of course there's a rare exception).

Cheers,

Mark

You might have a problem finding what we would call real security anywhere in SEA. The standards are not as high as we in the Western world are used to. :rolleyes:

S'pore comes to mind as a safe place to live. I feel safe in Pattaya then again, I'm comfortable with it and I try and not put myself in a position to get hurt.

I hear you. As with most places so long as you know the rules you can remain safe. Many North American cities have places I wouldn't be found near after dark. And I can also remember spending the entire night in a bar in Belize City because I lost track of the time and refused to leave by myself. I don't consider that being afraid as much as I do prudent, especially in an area where the locals only go out after dark in large groups. :clueless

Edited by Braveheart