Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Airbus and Boeing products running behind schedule

Well spotted! It's called paraphrasing. :bow

No it's called you once again misquoting one of my posts. Lame.

Edited by BigDUSA
  • Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys will have to carry on this ridiculous topic without BigD, but rest assured, he will be able to read it.

So few Rolls Royce Trent engines used on the A380 and so many problems.

Posted Images

No it's called you once again you misquoting one of my posts. Lame.

I would have used the quote function, or quotation marks, if I wanted to "quote" one of your posts. But I didn't, so I didn't. :bow Anyway, I don't know why you're upset as I basically agreed with your opinion that some Italians "can't cut the mustard". Some even go out of their way to emphasise the point. :bow

BTW, it's not really very good forum etiquette to amend your post after others have quoted it. :bow

Edited by CheshireTom
I would have used the quote function, or quotation marks, if I wanted to "quote" one of your posts. But I didn't, so I didn't. :allright Anyway, I don't know why you're upset as I basically agreed with your opinion that some Italians "can't cut the mustard". Some even go out of their way to emphasise the point. :nod

BTW, it's not really very good forum etiquette to amend your post after others have quoted it. :whistling:

Like I said once again your misquoting what I wrote. Lame.

And to think that you had aspirations of becoming an English teacher. :chogdee The words 'mustard' and 'cut' spring to mind. :ph34r:

You can always tell when tommie's arguments are weak. He starts with the personal attacks. :allright

You can always tell when tommie's arguments are weak. He starts with the personal attacks. :chogdee

Responds in kind to personal addenda such as "Lame". :ph34r:

Are you going to start a new thread, 'Dreamliner on schedule for delivery in 2008 2009 2010 2011'?

Edited by CheshireTom

Vietnam To Buy 8 New Jet Liners From Boeing

18 hours ago

(RTTNews) - Vietnam has signed an agreement with Boeing Corporation (BA) to buy eight Boeing 787-9 jet liners for the Vietnam Airlines.

The first of the Dreamliners will be delivered in 2015.

Vietnam's national flag carrier and the U.S. aircraft maker are in talks on a deal for another batch of eight aircraft, according to Vietnam Airlines President & Chief Executive Pham Ngoc Minh.

It was one of the three deals Vietnam signed with the U.S. government or companies on Saturday at a ceremony witnessed by visiting Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Vietnamese Deputy Prime Minister Pham Gia Khiem in Hanoi.

Not to shabby. Eight firm orders and eight possible orders. :cry4:

Good news for BigD, bad news for CT (sorry mate)! Just reported as breaking news an A380 of Qantus just made an emergency landing in Singapore after parts fell off and found on the ground in SUMATRA! Nobody hurt thank goodness.

Good news for BigD, bad news for CT (sorry mate)! Just reported as breaking news an A380 of Qantus just made an emergency landing in Singapore after parts fell off and found on the ground in SUMATRA! Nobody hurt thank goodness.

I don't think potential life threatening incidents are good news for anyone. That said, QANTAS suffered an identical incident on a 747-400 out of San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. :unsure:

On a brighter note ...

"Singapore-based aircraft leasing firm BOC Aviation announced on Wednesday it had ordered 30 Airbus A320 medium-range airliners for delivery between 2012 and 2014.

The company did not say how much it was paying, but the average price of the aircraft on January 30 was about 80 million dollars (57 million euros)."

Good business for Airbus, and with the Chinese in Paris this week, there could be more to come. :nod

Edited by CheshireTom
Paris (AP) — giant order from China for Airbus: The people's Republic concluded an agreement on more than 100 aircraft with the European aircraft manufacturer. The total value amounted to $14 billion (10 billion euro) to list prices. :hairout

President Hu Jintao in Paris signed contracts Thursday at the State visit of the Chinese President, as reported by the French Presidency. New orders are for 66 aircraft to Airbus. The contract value is $ 7.8 billion (5.5 billion euro).

The new orders it include 50 aircraft of the A320 family, six of the twin-engine A330 widebody jets and ten of the new type A350 XWB. :banghead

After the bad news for the emergency landing of its prestige aircraft of the A380 Airbus positive news for the EADS subsidiary came just at the right moment. On the stock exchanges, the EADS shares were previously collapsed because of damage to the engine on the world's largest passenger aircraft. The Australian airline of Qantas aircraft with 459 people was on Thursday in Singapore due to engine breaks down emergency landed, and the Australians declined all subsequent flights with the A380.

I don't think potential life threatening incidents are good news for anyone. That said, QANTAS suffered an identical incident on a 747-400 out of San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. :thumbup

On a brighter note ...

"Singapore-based aircraft leasing firm BOC Aviation announced on Wednesday it had ordered 30 Airbus A320 medium-range airliners for delivery between 2012 and 2014.

The company did not say how much it was paying, but the average price of the aircraft on January 30 was about 80 million dollars (57 million euros)."

Good business for Airbus, and with the Chinese in Paris this week, there could be more to come. :P

Just wait till they start falling off the 787. :clueless

Rolls-Royce of London, which is a separate company from the carmaker owned by BMW, is also developing an engine for Boeing’s latest aircraft, the 787 Dreamliner. Problems with that engine have contributed to the program’s delays.

This is extremely worrying for Rolls-Royce,” said Phil Abbott, editor of Aircraft Engines, a London-based industry newsletter. “There is no such thing as a shoddy engine maker. But the moment engines fly to bits, no one wants to fly them anymore.”

The pressure on Rolls-Royce intensified on Friday when Qantas’s CEO, Alan Joyce, said the mid-air engine failure on Flight 32 may have been caused by material failure or a design problem with the engines. Mr. Joyce said it was still too early to determine a cause for the failure but he rejected concerns from a labor union that it may have been caused by insufficient maintenance, a responsibility of the airline.

We believe this is probably, most likely, a material failure or some sort of design issue,” Mr. Joyce said at a news conference in Sydney, Australia. “We don’t believe this is related to maintenance in any way.”

In at least two previous cases during the past year, two A380 airplanes with Trent 900 engines from Rolls-Royce were forced to land after an engine failure. In August, a Rolls-Royce Trent 1000 test engine developed for Boeing blew up during a ground test.

All the engine failures on A380s have so far involved Roll-Royce engines, analysts said.

Separately, a European Union air safety body confirmed it told airlines in August to make checks after finding "wear, beyond engine manual limits," on the type of Rolls-Royce engines fitted to the Qantas jet and some other A380s.

There are 37 A380s in service, 20 with the Rolls-Royce Trent 900 engine. Three airlines operate with the Trent 900: Qantas, which has six; Lufthansa, three; and Singapore Airlines, 11.

Emirates Airline, which operates 13 A380s, and Air France, which has four in service, use the GP7200 engine developed by the G.E.-Pratt joint venture.

RR=British.

Edited by LTGTR

More great news for AirSubsidy A350XWAB/FLB fans:

Rolls-Royce’s problems also raise questions about the newest plane being developed by Airbus, the A350, made out of composite material and meant to compete with the 787 from Boeing. Unlike most aircraft programs — including the A380 and the 787, which are built with two engine options — the A350 will be configured with only one engine, the Rolls-Royce Trent XWB.

While the A380 program has not been a big commercial success for Airbus, the company has much more at stake with the A350. Airbus has 234 orders for the A380, but it already has 573 orders for the A350, which it expects to put into service in 2013.

Gee,I hope they get it right before 2013-it's ONLY 3 years off.

"You design an aircraft around an engine, and the aircraft’s performance depends upon its engine,” said Richard L. Aboulafia, an analyst at the Teal Group, a consulting firm in Fairfax, Va. “The real issue is Rolls-Royce’s reputation as a development company. They promised an awful lot with the A350. There is a lot riding on that engine and on that plane, whose performance is entirely dependent on Rolls-Royce.”

Airbus declined to comment about the impact of Thursday's episode on the development of the A350.

One expert suggested on Thursday that Rolls-Royce might have stretched technological limits with its latest Trent engines in the race to provide better efficiency. “I think it is possible that one of the problems Rolls-Royce is experiencing over all is that they may have lost a little bit of margin in the design of their engines,” said Hans Weber, the president of Tecop International, an aviation consulting firm in San Diego. “We are pushing harder to the limits because we are forced to increase the efficiency.”

Edited by LTGTR

Second Qantas jet returns to Singapore after engine trouble-yet another BritRolls problem.

(CNN) -- A Qantas passenger jet landed safely in Singapore on Friday after turning back due to engine problems shortly after takeoff, Australian Transport Safety Bureau spokesman Neville Blyth told CNN.

"I saw flames five minutes into flight and we could see flames through the left-side window," said passenger Terence Sim.

It is the second Qantas jet in two days to return to Singapore as a result of engine trouble.

In Friday's incident, the Boeing 747-400 was carrying 412 passengers and 19 crew members and was headed to Sydney, Australia, according to a Qantas spokesman, who would not provide his name, citing company policy.

On Thursday, a Qantas Airbus A380 jet made an emergency landing at Changi Airport after one of its four engines shut down as it started a flight to Sydney. As the plane headed back to the airport, part of the engine's covering, or cowling, tore off.

Airbus announced Friday that it asked all operators of A380s with Rolls-Royce engines to inspect them as a precaution.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau says it has deployed investigators to examine the cause of Thursday's engine failure on the Airbus A380 and is currently gathering more information regarding Friday's incident.

None of the passengers aboard the Boeing 747-400 also had been aboard the Airbus A380, according to the Qantas spokesman.

If it's the RB211,that's a shame.Iit was a great engine many years ago on the L-1011.

We had the RB211-524 on ours IIRC.

This is comforting:CEO: Design fault may have caused A380 engine failure

Sydney, Australia (CNN) -- A design issue rather than poor maintenance is likely to blame for the mid-flight failure of a Qantas airliner's engine, the CEO of the Australian carrier said Friday.

One of the four engines on the Qantas Airbus A380 shut down six minutes after takeoff Thursday from Singapore's Changi Airport, forcing it to return and make an emergency landing.

The plane -- with 440 passengers and 26 crew members -- was headed to Sydney, Australia. But while above the western Indonesian island of Batam, part of the engine's covering, or cowling, tore off.

"This issue does not relate to maintenance; this is an engine issue," CEO Alan Joyce told reporters Friday. "And the engines have been maintained by Rolls-Royce since they've been installed on the aircraft."

"So we believe that this is probably most likely a material failure or some sort of design issue that we're tracking and trying to understand," he added. "We don't believe this is related to maintenance in any way."

On Friday, Airbus announced that it had asked all operators of A380s with Rolls-Royce engines to inspect them as a precaution.

Following the Qantas CEO's comments, a Rolls-Royce spokesman referred back to his company's earlier news statement, which said:

"Since Qantas QF32 suffered an engine failure and returned safely to Singapore Changi Airport, we have been working closely with our customer and the authorities. In situations like these, Rolls-Royce has well established processes to collect and understand information relating to the event and to determine suitable actions."

After the incident, Qantas -- Australia's national airline -- grounded its Airbus A380 fleet.

The airline said flights of the twin-deck planes -- the world's largest airliners -- will remain suspended until an investigation is complete.

On Friday, Joyce said Qantas hopes to resume A380 flights within 48 hours, after completing engine safety checks.

"We believe over the next 24 to 48 hours, those checks will be complete on all of the A380s, and if we don't find any adverse findings out of the checks, the aircraft will resume operations," he said.

Qantas has six A380s in its fleet of 191 planes. Airbus will at some point deliver 14 more, the airline said.

Passengers on the detoured Qantas flight spent the night in Singapore, then flew to Australia on Friday.

"Passengers left on a special Qantas flight at 10:30 a.m. local back to Sydney," said airline representative Ashley Edwards Knapp.

Reminds me of the de Havilland fiasco so long ago.It's a design fault.

They'll blame the Italians, or the Brits, or the Martians. :hijack

Once again tommie's whistling in the wind. The Martians are on time and within specs. It's the poor Italians and Brits who seem to be having so many 'troubles' with quality.

Once again tommie's whistling in the wind. The Martians are on time and within specs. It's the poor Italians and Brits who seem to be having so many 'troubles' with quality.

Didn't the one of the RR engines being fitted to the Dreamliner test planes suffer a catastrophic failure a month or two back? What happened there? Is Boeing continuing with the the aircraft, or what? :clueless