Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

I ma seriously looking to relocate from Thailand

Due to all the recent developments in Thailand i am looking to relocate.

I am looking for good information sites on Cambodia or Vietnam.

Even better if any BM's have personal experiences they would care to share I would be more than greatful.

I no longer feel welcome in this country so I will take my cash elsewhere.

You no longer feel welcome? Thailand will always welcome you and your cash, I assure you. :)

Anyway, you've seen http://www.talesofasia.com I assume?

I would feel welcome if i could live in my own house that I own. Like fuck am I going to spend 3 to 5 million baht on a house that I cannot own with all the shit going on here.

Thanks for the link by the way.

Edited by sinkorswim

3-5 million baht at 5% in the bank will earn 250,000 baht interest per year. That's about 21,000 baht per month.

Should be able to rent a nice condo for that, with maid service, and not dip into savings at all. If off the beaten path, might be able to find an even lower rent? If so, then the 5 million baht will grow while you're living there -- just like owning. Shrug.

There is no paradise. On Earth.

Wherever you go, check it out for a while first.

the Viet are much better at ripping you off than the Thai. It will get worse.

The Khmer are a lawless land. Watch your step- it costs one fifth to get you killed there than here.

Maybe the closest I can suggest to meet your aspirations is southern Sri Lanka.

Cambodia does not have the infastructure of Thailand ,and is a lot less safe .Vietnam because of its history must have problems too,but i have not been there yet .Thailand is the best it gets IMO.

Brazilian woman are hot :clap2

Just remember that Laos and Vietnam are communist countries. There will always be someone looking over your shoulder and you will find the goal posts are often moved. It will be worse than Thailand and Thailand ISN'T good. Cambodia may be worth a try if you stay away from Phnom Penh. The capital city was always a depressing place for me. Drop Lemon an email and ask him what he thinks about where he is at. I think you'll find the infrastructure VERY weak everywhere in the country. If you have health problems you'll be looking how to get to a Thai hospital.

Sounds like you need a holiday mate.

Why not kill two birds with one stone and go stay at Lemons place at Snooky, on the beach (with some very persistant hawkers), and I hav ethe posts here that Lemons listed of the places where there are some nearby girls (Chicken ranches/farms or sopmething).

That wa yyou get to see the country, have a look around etc.

My betting is you will be even more bored than you are here. You need to go play golf at least twice a week - Green valley is good as is the Royal Lanna - tw oof my collegues play regularly so I can get you all the details if you want.

Rhoel

BTW, I'll print off that CD for you too this weekend.

Vietnam is a great country but I cannot imagine living there. I love to visit but ........ Cambodia is a shit hole though I am far from experienced.

It sounds like you;re pissed off about property laws rather than Thailand so do yourself a favour and rent.

From what I can gather Cambodia is welcoming foriegn investment. Thais dont want my money. Very hard to make money here as businesses are at saturation level and like fuck would I open a bar.

I am bored and need to work. I cant sit on my arse for the next 40 years I will go insane.

Thanks Rhoel maybe I will take a trip down to Cambodia for a bit to see what it is like. Now Brazil there is an idea I had no tthought of. Wonder what the cost of living is like there? Dont think the Thai wife would go for it though and it does seem a bit dangerous. I do love those Brazilian butts though.

Edited by sinkorswim

Every few weeks I try to convince myself Thailand has finally taken a turn for the worse and I need to think of a new place to go. I do this because right now I can't live in Thailand so it's a type of sour grapes. However even with things truly having taken a turn for the worse with the political climate, investment climate and terrorist climate. It still is the best SEA has to offer. I like Thailand for being a little rough around the edges and a little wild but sometimes that roughness wears us down and we long for some of the comforts of home. I don't think there is a perfect balance of western infrastructure and economy paired with the disorderly appeal of Thailand and all those sexy and seemingly available women. I wish I could find a better alternative as working in Thailand seems like a dead end for most and I'm in no position to retire anytime soon.

The PI's were my second choice for a retirement place. After a visit and looking at the weak infrastructure, high electric bills when there was electricity, terrorist threats, guards with shotguns in the KFC's, volcanoes, typhoons and earthquakes, Thailand looked much better. Also getting married to get a year visa didn't appeal to me either. Since I also have an irrational fear of earthquakes I decided that I'd be a nervous wreck living there. Bed rock ISN'T supposed to move.

I am bored and need to work. I cant sit on my arse for the next 40 years I will go insane.

Bingo.

HUGE issue. What the hell do you do? Well guess what, folks, we aren't the first to face this.

Think of all the . . . in the US we call them "trust fund babies" that you hear about. Maybe you UK guys see more of it than we do in the US because your history of nobility is so long. When the son or daughter of some hugely rich guy hits age 18 his or her trust fund kicks in to provide living expenses and that person truly need never work their entire life.

So what do they do? Well, often . . . drugs, or alcohol, or something stupid that gets them in trouble with the police, or winds up targetted by a gold digger of either sex, or damn near anything embarrassing you can think of. The one thing they way too often do not do is have a career.

The ones that do something with themselves turn out just fine. Members of the Ford family generally work in the family company -- which though it is on hard times now -- has furnished a great career for many members of that family for over 100 years now.

Anyway, the same thing is going to face all of us contemplating early retirement to Thailand (or anywhere else). We need to fill 30 years with something other than laying around.

I am thinking in terms of the net, and writing, and consulting, and travel, and writing about travel. Don't know if any of that is going to work out, but I do know I won't sit around. I am in sinkorswim's corner on this.

I guess we are all different in this regard.

I retired just after my 43'rd birthday in 2003, after a very busy business career.

I fully expected to have a year or two off, then return to the workforce.

It hasn't happened yet. I am still contemplating returning to the workforce at some stage, if only for a hobby. But there is absolutely no urgency about it.

Seems I slipped quite easily into the life of being a retired bum, with time on my hands.

Bingo.

HUGE issue. What the hell do you do? Well guess what, folks, we aren't the first to face this.

Think of all the . . . in the US we call them "trust fund babies" that you hear about. Maybe you UK guys see more of it than we do in the US because your history of nobility is so long. When the son or daughter of some hugely rich guy hits age 18 his or her trust fund kicks in to provide living expenses and that person truly need never work their entire life.

So what do they do? Well, often . . . drugs, or alcohol, or something stupid that gets them in trouble with the police, or winds up targetted by a gold digger of either sex, or damn near anything embarrassing you can think of. The one thing they way too often do not do is have a career.

The ones that do something with themselves turn out just fine. Members of the Ford family generally work in the family company -- which though it is on hard times now -- has furnished a great career for many members of that family for over 100 years now.

Anyway, the same thing is going to face all of us contemplating early retirement to Thailand (or anywhere else). We need to fill 30 years with something other than laying around.

I am thinking in terms of the net, and writing, and consulting, and travel, and writing about travel. Don't know if any of that is going to work out, but I do know I won't sit around. I am in sinkorswim's corner on this.

totally agree but believe me I was raised with nothing....everything I have, I worked very hard for. I am used to working 17 hours per day 7 days per week. But I burned myself out. I am now looking to work but need to find something that wont take over my life.

A very difficult situation, I bet many people would love the idea of sitting about on their arse but after 2 years of doing that I am ready to start to work again.

I am even thinking of working offshore and spending 3 weeks working then 3 weeks here. Just to occupy myself.

what about expanding your current business.

I mean it kills 2 birds with one stone. You get off of your arse and do something. And you still get to be your own boss.

little bonuses include: if you are successful then you get more $$ too and you get to travel and look for more mongering spots

Gary once weighed in on this. I think he spoke of woodworking as a particular skill he'd acquired over the years as part of a hobby. That kind of thing can turn into a part time business, making furniture and selling it online.

The one thing I can't see, and maybe it's bad for you too, sinkorswim, is going back to the 17 hr days for 7 days a week. I really don't think I need to go back to my old career or my old schedule to scratch the itch and maybe you don't either.

One thing I have heard and intend to pursue is . . . the reality that one can't see what the answer is because one doesn't have a part time skill. You have to pick a skill and acquire it -- and then find work using it.

Owen having read your posts over a number of months...I think a lot of people would take....and pay ....for some of your finace wisdom

I am a retired antiques dealer.....retired due to changing fashions

As a consultant I make a few bob ...

If I were to leave Ireland and live in Thailand ...

I really dont think I could persue my Antique career there ...and it does concern me not having a purpose to getting up in the morning.

Bored as shit here in Ireland....may as well be bored in sunshine where people smile...

One life and all of that...

Gary once weighed in on this. I think he spoke of woodworking as a particular skill he'd acquired over the years as part of a hobby. That kind of thing can turn into a part time business, making furniture and selling it online.

The one thing I can't see, and maybe it's bad for you too, sinkorswim, is going back to the 17 hr days for 7 days a week. I really don't think I need to go back to my old career or my old schedule to scratch the itch and maybe you don't either.

One thing I have heard and intend to pursue is . . . the reality that one can't see what the answer is because one doesn't have a part time skill. You have to pick a skill and acquire it -- and then find work using it.

Actually I designed a hide a bed with AutoCad. I then started building them. If I must say myself it is a very clever design that works with cables, springs and pulleys. If I were a young man I would have gotten a US patent because the design is unique and not copied from anyone. I was building them for a guy who was supposedly my partner. He refused to stock them and wanted one or two at a time. My work shop is 650 kilometers from Jomtien and he expected me to deliver them one or two at a time. Needless to say we had a falling out. He then stole my design and is having them made in a Thai shop. If I had any ambition I would build them and open a store myself just to put him out of business. It's just not worth the effort. I'm retired. I have the shop with everything I need to play with different projects that I enjoy.