Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

China Airlines - Dynasty Class

I last travelled this route Dec 2006/January 2007 in Dynasty (Business) class. I booked May 2006, through Gazelle Travel, and the cost was £899.

Now want to travel same route etc. depart 22/06/07 return 13/07/07. Got quoted £1079 by Gazelle. Thought that was a bit of a hike in price.

Rang Courtney Airsavers. Quoted £1115 Dynasty and £560 for Economy for same dates. Now seems that Dynasty fare is DOUBLE that in Economy. :hijack:

It seems to me that there has been a considerable increase in the Dynasty fare but little or no change to Economy on the same route.

I am a Dynasty card holder and have flown this route on 8 previous occassions.

Any other BM's had a similar experience with China Airlines fares on this route?

More importantly any BM's recommend a cheaper Business Class carrier for this route?

Done some research but cannot find a better deal. Think I will be biting the bullet. :banana

Top_Cat

Hi Top_cat,

I am having the same problem as u mate. Last Summer (July/August) myself and my wife flew business class or Dynasty class as its known with China airlines and paid £980 each, this year when I enquired about the price using both gazelle and courtneys they want around £1300!

So I have just bite the bullet and booked economy which was still £620 each!

I fly the same route as u , newcastle-amsterdam-bangkok

I just cant believe the increase in flight prices!

I have just booked Amsterdam-Bangkok return with KLM [i live in amsterdam]

depart 31-12-07 rtn 31-01-08 for 760 euro all in

Thats the cheapest direct flight I will get, there are restrictions can not cancel or change

dates, so have to take the flight.

China air have flight for 1040euro add 25 booking/CC fees

I flew with EVA last year same time 850 euro all in.

So keep trawling the web sites that sell tickets and the airline pages and

if you see a flight at an ok price grab it.

Hi TC.

The price for Dynasty certainly has gone up to that level.

I am out again on 30th May, and paid £569 for my ticket with Gazelle, however will be sitting upstairs as have got upgrades both ways with my points.

You could try EVA, they have an enhanced economy, not sure of the prices.

For each round-trip from AMS to BKK, you get 11406 miles.

The £1079 fare is a "discounted business class" that only attracts economy mileage, so you could accumulate the same in economy.

A one-way upgrade outside of peak season is 30000 miles.

So, six trips, then upgrades both ways.

When I check in at Newcastle, what do u think the chances r of being able to upgrade to business class? I am a card holder but dont think I have that many miles on it. I would pay the difference aslong as its not too ridiculous of an amount!

I'm a gold card frequent flyer with China Airlines, flying Aberdeen-Amsterdam-Bangkok at least 5 times a year.

The price they are now charging for their version of a business class service is not worth it now IMHO. It is no way a full on business class service comparable to some of the other airlines. When it was £790- £890 maybe.

Also you now only get 80% of actual mileage flown when you book a cheap ticket via Gazelle or others.

I'm out on Wednesday 28th March with China for three weeks, i think i will be changing airlines to Emirates to see if they are as good as some people say. Okay is not as direct as China but will give it a try.

I managed to get a free upgrade at BKK on flight home in February, it was offered i did not ask. :cry2

I got the usual mileage, that is the same as if on an economy ticket, flying discounted Business Class with a ticket from Gazelle last month.

I doubt very much ANY airline would give you less than the economy milage for buying ANY type of business ticket.

Where did that info come from ?

I got the usual mileage, that is the same as if on an economy ticket, flying discounted Business Class with a ticket from Gazelle last month.

I doubt very much ANY airline would give you less than the economy milage for buying ANY type of business ticket.

Where did that info come from ?

Check their web site. This policy went into effect on 1 June 2006. Even if you buy the ticket from them directly on their web site you will only get 60-80% of the actual mileage depending on the cost of the ticket.

Edited by Scalawag

I have flown in June and October 2006, and in February this year.

All tickets were their Discounted Business Class, purchased in the UK via a travel agent.

The mileage credited on each occasion was, as I said in my previous post, the same as if I had flown Economy.

They have just renewed my Gold Card, the required mileage was 55,000 in 2 years.

I made 5 return trips, earning 57,030 miles, which is 10 times the normal economy mileage between AMS and BKK.

I know you do not get the full Business mileage, but am CERTAIN I have received the Economy mileage.

They must have different requirements for different markets.

However, here is their e-mail dated, 24 April of last year:

Summary for Dynasty Flyer Program

2006 Rule Revisions

Date: April. 24, 2006

Dear Members,

We first want to express our sincere thanks for your constant patronage. With soaring fuel price in the past year, it goes without saying that airline industry has been heavily impacted. China Airlines has no choice but to adapt new marketing strategies for Dynasty Flyer Program. Under the guidelines of maintaining member benefits, the award levels remain unchanged. Following adjustments and measures will be implemented in quick succession:

A. Adjustment for Mileage Crediting Percentage

Effective from Jun. 01, 2006 (based on travel date), mileage will be credited according to the percentage of TPM for each booking class listed below:

Cabin Class

Booking Class

Percentage Credited

F

F

150% x TPM

A

130% x TPM

U

125% x TPM

*************edit in: ^ is first class.

C

J

130% x TPM

C

125% x TPM

D/R/I

100% x TPM

************edit in: ^ is business/dynasty class.

Y

Y/B/T/M

100% x TPM

K/Q

80% x TPM

H/N/Z (NOTE 2)

60% x TPM

X/L (NOTE 2)

No mileage and not valid for upgrade award

************ edit in: ^ economy/tourist class.

Note 1: TPM refers to mileage between departure point and arrival point of a flight.

Note 2: Exception: Flights between Taiwan and Hong Kong will be credited 80% of TPM for "H" booking class while 60% for "L" and "X". Upgrade award will be valid as well.

Note 3: "L" booking class will be credited 60% of TPM during the period of June to Sept. 2006.

B. Adjusted Dynasty Package Privileges

Starting from Apr. 01, 2006 to Mar. 31 2007, members may enjoy extra 1,500 miles and 500 miles by using Dynasty Package long haul and short haul travel respectively. In addition, NT$1,000 discount will apply to any Dynasty Package long haul itinerary commencing from Taiwan, while NT$500 for short haul.

C. Mileage Redemption for VIP Room Usage offered to elite members

Starting June, 01, 2006, Gold, Emerald and Paragon members may redeem their mileage to invite extra guests, other than the allowable number of their membership, to enter our airport VIP room together. Required mileage are as follows:

Required Mileage

Per Person

Qualification of Host Member

C Class Zone

5,000 miles

Gold, Emerald and Paragon card members

F Class Zone

10,000 miles

Emerald, Paragon card members and Gold card members traveling on F class.

Note 1: Both the host member and guest must take China Airlines flights (including host member/guest taking AE's KHH-HKG flights or any CI flights followed by an onward flight to Mainland China and using Hong Kong as transit spot). Redemption application can only be accepted at our airport counters. This practice does not apply to guest's accompanying infant under age of 2.

Note 2: This practice is limited to China Airlines airport VIP rooms (excluding co-sharing destinations) and subject to availability.

D. Part of Extra Mileage Practices will be ceased

Starting June 01, 2006, following extra mileage offer will be discontinued :

1. 2,000 miles for a Junior member who reach age of 12, as a result of Junior Membership to be integrated into Dynasty Membership.

2. 6,000 miles Upgrade Mileage for Gold Membership advancement.

3. 2,000 miles birthday mileage credited to a Dynasty Card Member.

E. Adjustment for Membership Advancement and Renewal

To response the adjustment of mileage percentage, effective from August 01, 2006, requirements of membership upgrade and renewal will be adjusted as follows:

Gold

Emerald

Paragon

Upgrade

Within 12 consecutive months,

1. Accumulate 40,000 flight miles; or 2. log a record of 10 full fare flights on business class or higher. Within 12 consecutive months,

1. Accumulate 110,000 flight miles, including up to 4 full fare flights on business class or higher; or 2. log a record of 40 full fare flights on business class or higher.

Within 12 consecutive months,

1. Accumulate 180,000 flight miles, including up to 6 full fare flights on business class or higher; or 2. log a record of 60 full fare flights on business class or higher.

Renewal

1. Accumulating 55,000 miles; or

2. logging a record of 20 full fare flights on business class or higher,

within the 24- months Gold membership validity

Reaching the same upgrade requirements above within the 24- month Emerald Membership validity

Reaching the same upgrade requirements above within the 24-month Paragon Membership validity

Note: Flights less than 500 miles will be counted as half a trip.

F. Mileage Deductions for Manual-Handling Services

Effective from August 01, 2006, following manual-handling services will deduct mileage as process cost :

1. A charge of 4% mileage on an award will be deducted from account of the member requesting the award transfer or cancellation of a transferred award.

2. In case of award ticket refund, a charge of 4% mileage on an award will be deducted from the account of the member holding the award ticket.

3. 500 miles will be deducted from account of the member (excluding Emerald and paragon card members) asking for replacement of membership card or Membership Guide.

Note: The above deductions can be replaced by money payment only if there is no sufficient miles in the member's account. Please contact our service counters for details.

(In case any discrepancy occurs between above information and actual practice, the later should prevail. )

Latest News | DFP Service Hotline | Personal Profile |

This letter is mailed through an auto-mailing system,

please do not reply.

Edited by Scalawag

Thanks for all the replies.

As predicted I have bitten the bullet and bought a Dynasty ticket with Gazelle Travel. seems there are very few options available. The problem is that I live in North East England and, at present, there are no direct flights to LOS. So this means a connecting flight to one of the larger airports.

I have been informed that one of the Middle Eastern operators (Etihad?) are going to fly out of Newcastle starting in October. Supposedly this will nor be direct but will involve a stop en-route.

Maybe a bit of competition will help.

I did ask at Courtneys how the quoted Dynasty fare was double the Economy which had never been the case in the past.

The lady informed me that it wasn't double.

Well the quoted fares were £560 Economy and £1115 Dynasty.

£560 x 2 = £1120. Well whats a fiver between friends. :banghead

Chok dee.

Top_Cat

Hi,

I flew out on December 5th back on 23rd paid for an economy class ticket (£550.00) via Gazelle, but upgraded to Dynasty both ways using 60,000 miles. Received full mileage distance in my account.

Then flew out 31st January back February 18th paid economy class ticket (£569.00) via Gazelle. Received free upgrade on return leg.

Mileage in account reads 31-01-2007 3422 miles Class N,

18-02-2007 4562 miles Class Q.

Confused, I sure am.

I'm back out on Wednesday 28th March back on 18th April, will see what mileage I receive for this trip.

Still thinking of changing for my June trip. :D

Top Cat, it's emirates which starts from NCL in september, i believe you can get a rtn seat for 481 quid and you definately change in dubai.

i booked last week going in sept with emerates from NCL £451.00 with opodo but they had a £20 discount promotion on,so £431.00 used debit card no charge and no booking fee,iAM in their skywards ff club also.so a good deal allround,as i dont think the fare will stay this low for long.

Thanks for all the updates.

I am making enquiries about flying with Emirates from Newcastle for my Dec.07/Jan.08 trip. Will compare fares with China Airlines.

Top_Cat