Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

MAKING MONEY EVEN, NIDNOY

hi

does any one know of a way to make a living in pattaya other than owning a bar or guesthouse or restaurant,i know a lot of you have retired but im only 33 and need to live in los i aint got a pension but i have a nice bit in the bank and a property in uk.i just cant get los out of my head,it is all i live for and dream of.if i went with no back up plan i would ruin my self and spunk my money up the wall in a mission of self destruct, but staying in the uk is so depresing and knowing that i dont need to work as such aint helping in the fact . i want to be in los at least 6 months at a time and try and stay slightly grounded,but i gotta say if i found los in my early 20s i would be a homeless skint bum by now.

Why dont you do that then Stay 6 months and enjoy it then go home and work for 6 months ,As far as I can see there is no way to "earn " in LOS if you dont have a bar ,guesthouse,or superb Computer skills .There is the teaching english as a foriegn language route but that requires qualifications and long hours of work ,and the point of Pattaya ,for me at least,is not doing anything but enjoying the place.Now there is also a new Immigration law that wont let you stay for as long as we have in the past if you are on a tourist visa,and you are way too young for a retirement visa ,so why no go for the best of both worlds like me and come to Pattaya for as long as you want or can and spend the rest of the year at home .

PS if you get caught working you get fined ,sent home ,and banned from the Kingdom and you dont want that to happen

PPS, someone will peach on you ,there are some right gits in Pattaya when your back is turned.

Edited by sinbinjack

Buy a couple of condos and rent them out.

About the only qualification for teaching English is the ability to speak the language, show up reasonably sober and well dressed, and mostly when you are supposed to. If you get certification, such as a CELTA, it will improve your choice of schools. However, the money is crap - usually around 25,000 baht per month, although it can be more if you are presentable, qualified, and actually willing to treat the job seriously. If you are not, then you are really doing your students a disservice. It is not for everyoe, but I know some who really like it.

About the only qualification for teaching English is the ability to speak the language, show up reasonably sober and well dressed, and mostly when you are supposed to. If you get certification, such as a CELTA, it will improve your choice of schools. However, the money is crap - usually around 25,000 baht per month, although it can be more if you are presentable, qualified, and actually willing to treat the job seriously. If you are not, then you are really doing your students a disservice. It is not for everyoe, but I know some who really like it.

It's also worth bearing in mind that not all English teaching jobs are about teaching kids. There are plenty of corporate jobs around teaching English for Special Purposes (ESP). That said, the pay around Chonburi is particularly crap due to the number of farangs in the area (around 25k a month) but there are plenty of jobs teaching IT skills or hotel/tourism service if you look hard enough that pay 40k plus. I was offered 40k a month last week to teach Photoshop 15 hours a week in BKK/Thonburi. Not a huge amount but a decent bit of cash flow and gives you something constructive to do with your life rather than just drinking/fucking yourself into oblivion.

If you go down that route it is worth doing your homework as there is a lot of crap to sift through in relation to both English training and jobs.

The Bangkok Post has its job vacancies online now ....... http://www.jobjob.co.th/ but I would expect the responses to any decent ads to be in their hundreds.

It's also worth bearing in mind that not all English teaching jobs are about teaching kids. There are plenty of corporate jobs around teaching English for Special Purposes (ESP). That said, the pay around Chonburi is particularly crap due to the number of farangs in the area (around 25k a month) but there are plenty of jobs teaching IT skills or hotel/tourism service if you look hard enough that pay 40k plus. I was offered 40k a month last week to teach Photoshop 15 hours a week in BKK/Thonburi. Not a huge amount but a decent bit of cash flow and gives you something constructive to do with your life rather than just drinking/fucking yourself into oblivion.

If you go down that route it is worth doing your homework as there is a lot of crap to sift through in relation to both English training and jobs.

The Bangkok Post has its job vacancies online now ....... http://www.jobjob.co.th/ but I would expect the responses to any decent ads to be in their hundreds.

Hey Tom Id do that, Now Whats 'teach PhotoShop'?

Do you have to teach thais how to develop photos for farang to make them look hansum man? :bigsmile:

Edited by blink

You could always take a Scuba Instructors Course here at Mermaids.

My brother is talking about spending 6 months here taking a full course, costs around 4.5k sterling including kit & accomodation.

I've seen a few jobs advertised around Thailand, but not sure how easy they'd be to get for someone 'newly qualified'.

• 2 weeks later...

Website design and hosting for me, with customers in Europe / USA.

Also, I run a number of personal finance websites (loans / mortgages etc) and property marketing sites for Estate Agents.

Good thing is, I can basically work from any phoneline ....... Bad thing is, I actually still have to work :bigsmile:

you said you have a house in the uk try renting it out on a short time lease, my friends has done this he gets £1250 a month for his house has to pay £540 a month back to the bank for is morage ,and sticks another £100 in the bank for bills..etc and the rest is left to him to stay in pattaya ..i think he rents on a 8 month contract he gets just over £610 a month to reside in thailand i know its not much but he is happy he then returns back to uk for 4 months and takes part-time jobs along the way and then heads back out once he his his visa

If you have a B.Ed degree there are two international schools in and around Rayong which pay well. The starting salaries are 80,000 Baht a month, up to 120K. Those "international" schools in Pattaya pay crap money -- 25,000 Baht a month.

I was offered 40k a month last week to teach Photoshop 15 hours a week in BKK/Thonburi. Not a huge amount but a decent bit of cash flow and gives you something constructive to do with your life rather than just drinking/fucking yourself into oblivion.

You write that like it's a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...
How about a job in Boyztown?

Easy money :bigsmile:

This is still the most practical suggestion. From what I've seen, there's more money to be made there than in trying to keep your hands off the students in an English class for sure.

If you have a B.Ed degree there are two international schools in and around Rayong which pay well. The starting salaries are 80,000 Baht a month, up to 120K. Those "international" schools in Pattaya pay crap money -- 25,000 Baht a month.

I have a Bachelor of English degree, is B.ed a a Bachelor of Education. Also I can read, write and speak Thai at an intermediate level. I had no idea those kind of salaries were available for teaching. Is this teaching English or something else?

To the OP, It seems like you have a pretty good head start if you already own a house. If you're earning a decent salary I would just stay where you are for another 7 or so years and then try to make your way in LOS. I realize it's not as satisfying as just going there now but it also isn't like you have to wait til you're half dead. You'd have enough saved that you could safely invest and subsidize a low paying job with your investment income, still having enough time to enjoy yourself and possibly retire soon after if you can keep saving a little as you go. In the meantime just get to LOS as much as you can. I think we all can relate to the Thailand fever. I've actually gotten much better at controlling it but sometimes it does take hold and I quickly lose the plot. I start looking for a way, any way to live in Thailand. The calling of Thai pussy and spicy food is very strong my friend. Wheels up in 17 days!

I have a Bachelor of English degree, is B.ed a a Bachelor of Education. Also I can read, write and speak Thai at an intermediate level. I had no idea those kind of salaries were available for teaching. Is this teaching English or something else?

Yes, that is a Bachelor of Education - in other words, someone who is certified to teach in their home country. For most international schools in Thailand that means preferably England or at least a country that uses a similar system. You can be teaching any subject, although I am sure some are harder to fill than others.

Also, if you are ever caught in a gogo bar or with a hooker, it is usually grounds for immediate dismissal from any of the legitimate international schools. And if you have a girlfriend who is an ex-bargirl, don't even think of letting any of the staff or their spouses meet her.

Edited by Hippie

a friend of mine was offered a job at one of those international schools in Rayong, car and everything

he turned it down and now works in a major telecom firm at home, in their training department, took the Thai wife and kids and is lovin' it there