Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Mileage Trading

Question for the mods:

Is it okay to use the boards to "buy" tickets for our fellow boardies using miles? I have more miles than I need and would like to offload some of them. Figure it would help a boardie out by giving him a discounted fare and it would help me out with cash (to fund my next trip, of course).

Edited by stinger_sd
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stinger_sd,

I cannot comment on whether or not it is appropriate on this board, I guess that is a question for MM.

I will say you firstly need to check that you can transfer points or buy a ticket in someone elses name depending on which airline you are talking about. I know here in Australia Qantas and a few others only allow transfers between family members.

Which airline are you talking about and do they allow point transfers?

onelilley.

Sounds a great idea to me :D

Different airlines have different rules, I have around 10K AA which I am never likely to use, but EVA I could always use more :clueless

I have more miles than I need and would like to offload some of them. Figure it would help a boardie out by giving him a discounted fare and it would help me out with cash (to fund my next trip, of course).

Definitely be interested in discussing the possibility with you :ang2.

I think he's only interested in selling 1st class tickets, but I hope not!

Still mulling it over actually. Initially I was thinking of offering a few business class tickets for fares a little bit higher than coach, but much, much less than the cost of an actual business ticket.

stinger_sd,

I cannot comment on whether or not it is appropriate on this board, I guess that is a question for MM.

I will say you firstly need to check that you can transfer points or buy a ticket in someone elses name depending on which airline you are talking about. I know here in Australia Qantas and a few others only allow transfers between family members.

Which airline are you talking about and do they allow point transfers?

onelilley.

We have booked a flight for a friend using our Qantas points and put him down as Brother inlaw never got asked any questions and we didn't fly at the same time.

A regularly priced ticket on Thai Airways is about $1500 from JFK (higher in high season). You can also book this same flight using 60K FF miles. You can buy FF flies from the airlines at around $.03 per mile, or $1800. OR....you can buy FF miles off Ebay for around $600-900 for 60K miles. You can transfer these miles into your account, but that's costly. The best way is for the owner of the miles to make a reservation for you in your name. I've done it several times now and it works. No problems. Only problem is getting a FF award ticket for the time you want as they (the airlines) are quite stingey with them.

Business Class on THAI from JFK is 100K FF miles. I"m wondering what the OP had in mind for a good price on those kind of miles??

A regularly priced ticket on Thai Airways is about $1500 from JFK (higher in high season). You can also book this same flight using 60K FF miles. You can buy FF flies from the airlines at around $.03 per mile, or $1800. OR....you can buy FF miles off Ebay for around $600-900 for 60K miles. You can transfer these miles into your account, but that's costly. The best way is for the owner of the miles to make a reservation for you in your name. I've done it several times now and it works. No problems. Only problem is getting a FF award ticket for the time you want as they (the airlines) are quite stingey with them.

Business Class on THAI from JFK is 100K FF miles. I"m wondering what the OP had in mind for a good price on those kind of miles??

It really depends on where you're flying from, but I'm going to estimate between 40 to 60 percent of the actual cost of a business class ticket.

It really depends on where you're flying from, but I'm going to estimate between 40 to 60 percent of the actual cost of a business class ticket.

If you get to the stage where younactually begin making/accepting offers, please PM me. The detailed discussions are best carried out in private.

Evil

:D

If Emirates or Eva frequent flyer miles are tradeable than I have high miles on each that am willing to offload.

Chivas

If Emirates or Eva frequent flyer miles are tradeable than I have high miles on each that am willing to offload.

Chivas

A quick read of the eva site suggests 2 options; You can book the award ticket for someone else if there is availability. It costs between 100K and 150K FF miles from USA to BKK. Other option is you can transfer the miles into someone's account, but this requires some bullshit paperwork and designating "nominees", copy of passport. The advantage to #2 is the miles expire in accordance with your original limitations. There does not appear to be any transfer fees once the paperwork is in place (up to 60 days). Tickets awarded under option #1 are good for only 1 year.

So, how much for 150K miles?

I have about 50000 BA miles I would consider trading for KLM/Air France (Flying Blue) miles if it is possible. Had it with BA really, now you can't get miles when departing from regional airports in the UK. Gits. I do a lot of short haul around Europe and BA out of Manchester was good. So use KLM out of Leeds via Amsterdam as much as possible now.

I don't know if it is possible to trade....anybody know?

Paul

I have about 50000 BA miles I would consider trading for KLM/Air France (Flying Blue) miles if it is possible. Had it with BA really, now you can't get miles when departing from regional airports in the UK. Gits. I do a lot of short haul around Europe and BA out of Manchester was good. So use KLM out of Leeds via Amsterdam as much as possible now.

I don't know if it is possible to trade....anybody know?

Paul

You can't "trade" and it is cost prohibitive to "transfer" the miles into someone else's account. But with a little effort by both parties, you can each make reservations for the other and effectuate a "trade" in that manner.

I have no allegiance to either US Airways or Delta (or their partners, for that matter). Please feel free to make an irresistable offer and I will gobble up the miles post haste. Oh, by the way... 52 days 'till Nana Plaza :D :drunk :party

As posted earlier I am willing to transfer/sell Emirates to a total of 31,000 miles.

Will take £150.If you are based in uk can invoice you by email so as you can pay by credit/debit card.

Chivas

Edited by Chivas

It is my experience that miles are worth 1.5 cents each. So, a 120,000 mile award ticket can be worth $1800 plus applicable taxes if one wants to make such a deal. Mile brokers buy at this amount many times, and then turn around and sell the business/first class tickets at an even higher price.

Edited by bangkapiboy