Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

how to get the best hotel room rate  

56 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

so what is the best way to get a good deal on a room??

i like the just walkin approch as they know you can just walk out again if the rate is not good.

but my mate likes to pree book

and my other mate says the net is the way to go

can i have some opinions please

I use them all really. I try and find a price on the net, then i call them and ask about their prices and availability to compare.

If the place sucks when i get there, i walk to somewhere else.

For me location is very important as being away from the action or having to get transport all the time is a waste of time.

Not worth the hassle to save 100 or 200 bt.

I use a combination of pre booking on the net and walking in. I don't really want to be hunting for a hotel after a 20 hour flight.

I'll pre-book the first couple of days (or a week if they offer a discount) and check out other rooms to see if they have a better price and room than my current accommodations.

I have to agree with 'bastax33' about not having to find a place, in my case after a 27 hour trip. I book all my arrangements over the internet and reconfirm a week before my trip by email.

After I arrive I can fine tune the reservation a little if I move about and change hotels a little early.

At least up front I know what my rates will be. Also I think easier to book my transpertaion knowing where I will be staying.

LeoTex

I booked a month at the LK Metropole for a pretty good rate, via this forum, on the internet.

I then tried the 'walk-in' approach with around 20 mid to high level hotels around at the start of november.

With this being the developing 'high season' they all basically laughed in my face.

Result was a spent the next two weeks in 3 different 'guesthouses' until I could get something more suitable.

I'm not a fan of the 'walk in' approach anymore .......... off season though, it may be do-able.

I'm not a fan of the 'walk in' approach anymore .......... off season though, it may be do-able.

Hi,

I think walk-up is good in low season, but booking is better in high season.

I like the idea of walking up (and away) if necessary, but I'm not fond of traveling all about with my suitcase in 100 degree weather. In low season, I prefer to pre-book 2-3 days and then look for more attractive/affordable accomodations at my leisure. In High season? I don't want to worry about finding a place so I book my entire stay in advance in a hotel that comes well recommended or that I've been in before. Might be interesting to be in Pattaya on NYE without a hotel reservation.....hmmmmmm..

I have tried just turning up in the May Bank Holiday weekend in the Lake District in Egland. It was also the weekend when the Queen's Silver Jubilee was being celebrated and when the Wembley turf was transported back to Scotland bit by bit.

Never again! It was a fucking nightmare to find anywhere to stay, not helped by the fact that I was Scottish.

Personally, I cannot be arsed going from hotel to hotel trying to find accommodation, especially in a town I may not know that well. I now book my accommodation in advance - either through a travel agent or over the internet.

Alan

I liked to just walk up, but if you go this route you should have a list of other options in case the place is full. If your going the walk up route your best if it isn't high season, if the place recently opened so that they don't have a dedicated following, and that your going to be staying for an extended period of time. You need to do this when the manager is on duty as the others won't negoiate with you. If the place already has posted weekly and monthly rates then don't expect a discount as they have already reduced the rates.

I would never contemplate prebooking as i like to see the exact room that i'm going to get before i pay.

I usualy get a better rate than what the advertise on any website by just walking in.

There is no rule that covers all here.

All I suggest is do what you have to the first trip..read advice on here then once you know your budget and the choices of hotel in the area you want do the following.

1. Check the website prices but don't book.

2. Check the prices on Asiarooms.com for the week you want.

3. Call the hotel for their "Best Price"

4. Send them an Email asking for a quote.

Book the cheapest way...I find doing 2 and 4 is enough for me. I have just stayed in the Sabai wing of Sabai Lodge, double room, for 1350 a night.

I would never contemplate prebooking as i like to see the exact room that i'm going to get before i pay.

I usualy get a better rate than what the advertise on any website by just walking in.

In the "Low" season there are plenty of places where you can book on the net without Pre-paying anything! :D :D :D

If you are picky about where you stay then the walk in will not make you happy. There are several reasons why.

Sometimes when I have done a walk in I have been able to get a room but had to move 1 or 2 time during the stay. One time in low season (august) the hotel had a delux room for 8 days but they didn't have the same room. The were willing to give a very good rate. Talking to the desk clerk they have many guests who book months in advance and book specific room numbers. i.e I want room 501. Next to that the hotel clerks themselves show people booked inot specific rooms even when no specific request was made for the reservation. Seems many thai hotels, unlike american hotels, assign people to rooms before they check in. That makes it difficult for them to say yes you can check in for 8 days in the same room even though they have vacany for all 8 days.

The other things to remember. Even in low season many of the hotels in pattaya and bangkok can get fully booked in advance for the weekends. I was talking to one hotel owner in BKK who told me that there is always a large groups of expats who come to bkk or pattaya for the weekend from udon, ubon, malaysia, sigapore, china and other parts. So a hotel that has lots of rooms sun-thur can be full for the weekend from 3 day tourist that are loacl from asia. This can screw up your plans if you are trying to book less than 30 days in advance.

If you don't care what you pay or don't care where you stay, then you will always be able to find a room. :allright :D

In high season you must book ahead to get a hotel that is at all popular. However you do it, just book ahead. Sure, you show up in high season you can find a room somewhere, but it will likely not be ideal. All the popular places will be booked way in advance.

cheers guys.

maybe i will give in and let my mate look in on the net for prices just in the past when i have done that we have ended up paying more in the end.

hay ho tho fuck it! i will be on holliday who gives a fuck over a few bhat a night :D

as long as im there and :hijack