Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Internet problems in Thailand

For the last half an hour or so, this is the ONLY web-site I seem to be able to access. Any other site, I try cannot be found.

For my sins, I used TOT's bloody awful broadband service.

Any suggestions as to where the problem lies?

Alan

Just a quick edit to say that it took a mere 3 or 4 seconds for this topic to be posted.

Edited by Eneukman

I had problems about the same time. A few sites could be reached but some like hotmail failed. Cleared up and now everything ok. Happens to me when it rains in central Thailand.

Seems okay now, but had some strange delays earlier in the day that cleared up within minutes (surfing from Thailand as well).

Everything's fine now - except when TOT crashes - a daily occurence thought it has been back up pretty quick.

I was just curous as to why I couldn't log onto any other site at the time.

Alan

Everything's fine now - except when TOT crashes - a daily occurence thought it has been back up pretty quick.

I was just curous as to why I couldn't log onto any other site at the time.

Can't explain your weird one-site access (browser cache, maybe??). But from now to Wednesday there are LOT of storms in the area, and EMP is a bitch with wireless. Rain will put out the wired circuits as well, by playing with the satellites.

Can't explain your weird one-site access (browser cache, maybe??). But from now to Wednesday there are LOT of storms in the area, and EMP is a bitch with wireless. Rain will put out the wired circuits as well, by playing with the satellites.

I use ADSL rather than wireless but do have experience of water messing up my dial up internet connection when I was still living in Edinburgh. According to one stupid bitch who worked for Telewest, there was nothing wrong with my telephone line!!!!!

If it was browser cache, I wouldn't have expected to be able to post on this site. According to a VisualRoute check on other sites, my internet connection was at fault. Think I'll blame TOT! :banghead someho

Maybe I had somehow managed to retain a connection to this board when TOT went down?

Alan

There are sporadic DNS problems between Thai ISPs and the Internet. They usually don't last too long though.

Definitely some horrible DNS maintenance but that's more often some sites out, almost all OK, not the other way around.

my ISP both at work and at home have been brilliant the last few weeks

however, a fellow told me yesterday that he couldn't send eMails to any residents of Pattaya

seems kinda funny actually, since eMail is global and it shouldn't matter if they are in Pattaya or Timbuktu

Definitely some horrible DNS maintenance but that's more often some sites out, almost all OK, not the other way around.

I can understand that happening and would have put that down to problems at the server or with the site's ISP.

I have a subscription to VisualRoute, which enables me to see where a problem lies. A 100% packet loss at hop 2 or 3 indicates that the TOT server has crashed, as it did earlier this afternoon for a short time. On one board, the final 2 hops to what I assume is the server regularly shows packet loss from 30% to as high as 70% or even 80%.

Can anyone give a simple explanation of this and what is causing it, please?

Alan

Can anyone give a simple explanation of this and what is causing it, please?

Yes. TOT servers work on Soi 6, and they go down.

Seriously, it happens. TOT crashes occasionally. So does True. There are many possibilities and there are many explanations if you ask them. Sometimes the USP doesn't kick in. Sometimes a disk crashes. Sometimes they put in new software wrong. There's no such thing as an ISP that doesn't crash AT ALL, and TOT sure isn't in the Top 10.

The question is why one site continues to work when all others are, or certainly seem to be, victims of that crash.

I don't believe the email report. It's not possible to know where a reciepient of an email is. There's another way to explain that email problem. Perhaps the sender sent half a dozen emails and the two addressed to people he knew were in Pattaya had some problem? That is not the same problem as "all email to Pattaya doesn't work" which simply can't occur.

yeah, I was laughing inside when he said it, but didnt' want to try and explain to him like he's a 3 year old how the system works, 555

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. TOT servers work on Soi 6, and they go down.

Seriously, it happens. TOT crashes occasionally. So does True. There are many possibilities and there are many explanations if you ask them. Sometimes the USP doesn't kick in. Sometimes a disk crashes. Sometimes they put in new software wrong. There's no such thing as an ISP that doesn't crash AT ALL, and TOT sure isn't in the Top 10.

The question is why one site continues to work when all others are, or certainly seem to be, victims of that crash.

I don't believe the email report. It's not possible to know where a reciepient of an email is. There's another way to explain that email problem. Perhaps the sender sent half a dozen emails and the two addressed to people he knew were in Pattaya had some problem? That is not the same problem as "all email to Pattaya doesn't work" which simply can't occur.

I would say that TOT crashes quite frequently. What really pisses me off though is that when you try to contact them, the phone is either engaged or they don't bother answering the bloody thing. :thumbup

Alan

I would say that TOT crashes quite frequently. What really pisses me off though is that when you try to contact them, the phone is either engaged or they don't bother answering the bloody thing. :thumbup

Okay, but near as I can tell, they really have nothing to say except "it be fik soon" anyhow. I've seen TOT wireless go out for, oh, maybe three or four hours, but usually it's less than half an hour. It's sure aggravating but if you got through I'm sure the result would not pacify you.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a question for Bm's here that are also BM's of P-A's site. It seem that P-A's site is having a bit of trouble today. The first time I logged on, everything worked fine. I clicked on a post with the topic (Banned in LOS, what next) or something to that effect. Then I started getting this crazy IPB warning. At first, I thought it was something tha would go away after time but, hours later, I'm still get this dame warning. I won't copy or paste it here for fear it might be some kind of Thai government blocker. What I will do is type type it. If any of you have seen this warning before, please let me know what it's about.

IPB WARNING [2] ipsclass::require_once(/home/default/pattaya-addicts.com/user/htdocs/forum/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_5/skin_global.php) [function.ipsclass-require-once]: Failed to open stearm: No such file or directory (Line:2116 of/sources/ipsclass.php) :D

I've just had the same problem whilst logging into P-A. It's not the government warning though - we call that the 'green screen of death' for obvious reasons! Maybe they're just doing some website maintenance.

Here's a question for Bm's here that are also BM's of P-A's site. It seem that P-A's site is having a bit of trouble today. The first time I logged on, everything worked fine. I clicked on a post with the topic (Banned

This is (almost 100% certainty) a DNS problem, i.e. a temporary condition on a major server that translates what you type into numbered Internet addresses. It happens - too often.

I'm in Bangkok, I use two different ISPs, and there is no problem with this site from here at all this morning.

Stuff happens on the Internet. If it happens over and over, and happens EXACTLY consistently for more than... oh, say, 8 hours, it COULD be government induced. If it lasts for 24 hours it probably is. But for an hour? Wait, try again, stifle that paranoia for a bit.

I've just tried to log onto Addicts and got the same message.

15:53 Pattaya time, I'm currently logged into that board, reading a message on Beer Singha WTF ???? By: MIGHTYONE

What ISP are you using, Alan?

(Edit) Jeez. 16:15 and I can't get to the BangkokPost.com and I know for an absolute fact that site is not censored.

It is definitely effed up today. Not the first time, either.

Edited by joekicker
15:53 Pattaya time, I'm currently logged into that board, reading a message on Beer Singha WTF ???? By: MIGHTYONE

What ISP are you using, Alan?

(Edit) Jeez. 16:15 and I can't get to the BangkokPost.com and I know for an absolute fact that site is not censored.

It is definitely effed up today. Not the first time, either.

I'm using TOT's wonderful broadband service. 5.00 pm in Thailand now and I'm now able to access Addicts. Just bought a wi-fi router so testing it out at the moment.

Alan

I'm using TOT's wonderful broadband service. 5.00 pm in Thailand now and I'm now able to access Addicts. Just bought a wi-fi router so testing it out at the moment.

Just to add to the excitement, TOT censors a lot more than the other major ISPs, so you never can be sure, ya know? Like, for now, they are blocking most of Blogspot.com blogs because they are incompetent at blocking one particular blog out of Chiang Mai. FWIW True is a lot more ahem liberal about that, but then True doesn't have the wi-fi.

I have both (don't ask) and at the moment both are working okay, although True has some obvious DNS problems (still no Bangkok Post) and TOT still can't sort out the difference between blocking one blog and blocking thousands of them.

Aint it fun?

it looks as though the Addicts board has gone down again!

Alan

17:46 in Bangkok - got it on both True and TOT.

That would definitely be a DNS eff-up somewhere.