Displayed prices are for multiple nights. Check the site for price per night. I see hostels starting at 200b/day and hotels from 500b/day on agoda.

Have higher prices come to stay?

For about a year now I've been averaging 1000 for flights from San Francisco to Thailand, now I'm seeing them averaging 1400 if I wish to book for any flights going forward. Anyone seeing different?

Edited by ginseng

18 months ago I paid NZ$895 all inclusive on Thai, Auck/Bang R/T,the cheapest available I could get for next month with Thai was $1373 and this was even by booking months in advance.Had to settle for the Worlds Favorite Airline (B.A.) via Syd for $1155,even that has disappeared now.

IMHO I believe we will have to live with these and even more similiar increases for years to come! <grin

For about a year now I've been averaging 1000 for flights from San Francisco to Thailand, now I'm seeing them averging 1400 if I wish to book for any flights going forward. Anyone seeing different?

What time of year was it? During low season, I saw a flight for under $800.

I think we're in a period (and quite possibly a very protracted one) where it just takes almost endless vigilance to find and lock airfares that don't leave us cringing. If you've got one or two or three favorite airlines, check them frequently. That's how I happened upon the Eva sale out of Seattle where between 05 SEP and 31 OCT, you can fly Evergren Deluxe for what it would cost to fly Economy from S.F. or L.A. during that period. Where's the rhyme or reason in that? They've got routes that aren't moving for a given period (and thus lots of empty seats), so they mark them down without regard or connection to miles being flown. I suspect that in this case, so many of us and others fly Eva out of or connecting through S.F. and L.A., that Eva wanted / needed to smooth out the passenger flow by encouraging some fliers to consider Seattle.

Anyway, there are always periods where businesses have to re-establish / rediscover where the point of economic equilibrium is and then prices fluctuate around it until the next time they seek to nudge (or plow) it upward. All of us who have gotten use to certain fare ranges have "sticker shock" for a period, and then we don't -- then it just becomes "what it costs to go."

It's not pleasant, but we all have learned the Law of Change the hard way on more than one occasion, I suspect.

Pen

Cathay Pacific was running a fare sale all during the month of May, for $734 + tax round trip from SFO or LAX to Bangkok, good from September through Mid December. With taxes and fees, it came to $818. I booked my September trip on that special last month. But the deal is over. In any case, check the airlines' own websites, not the sites like Expedia. You should be able to get < $1100 fares, maybe under $1000, on EVA and China Airlines

Aren't fares generally higher across the board in the US at this time? It's low season in Thailand, but it's prime vacation time in the US. It was the same last year too.

I first checked China Airlines then did an across the board check on Travelocity where I came up with the average of 1400, CA included. This was for any time period, immediate or future. I will pay that if I must but I'm going to hold out a few months for a deal, this is for a December trip.

You could check with a Consolidator. They require no advance purchase and I have found that they always beat the airlines price. If you wish, PM me and I will give you one in SFO that I have used.

I am already book I paid 1,100 but what I wantto known is when is the best time to book my holtet room.I will be in bbk 1/17 till 1/31 I need some input.I am leaven bwi on thurday 9:05 to san fransco to bbk also I am a african american I known that a lot of us don't go to thailand I love the asian people way of life I am just looking forward to hang out in bbk & pattaya this is my first time going to los I have been doing my reseach joined all the forums trying to get all the information I can the trip has been 2yrs in the making last yr I was in mexico but thailand stay on my mind do you all think that my skin color will be a problem I am not really wary about that I get along with everybody I just thought I would throw that out there. I can't wait to get there . <grin

• 3 weeks later...

Mickeylo...welcome to the board...

I strongly suggest to do your homework and decide what area of BKK or Pattaya you would like to stay. By choosing the area, this narrows the hotels down to your location.

Example: Bangkok - Soi Nana or Soi Cowboy which is Soi 4 or Soi 21 & Soi 23 respectively.

Likewise, Pattaya is similar, do you prefer being by Soi Buakhao, Soi 2,3, etc.

or Soi 6,7,8 or even Soi 13 or Walking Street???

Decide and book soon because rooms fill up fast...

Summer months are always higher in the states as schools are out and families travel, plus you have all the Asian college students heading home. This is the time that I use my miles to travel free.

do you all think that my skin color will be a problem I am not really wary about that I get along with everybody I just thought I would throw that out there. I can't wait to get there .

Your skin color will not be a problem. Be prepared to hear the term "chocolate man" as thats how many of the BGs will describe you. They will also use "chocolate" to describe their own skin color, I guess it means any color darker than white.

For about a year now I've been averaging 1000 for flights from San Francisco to Thailand, now I'm seeing them averaging 1400 if I wish to book for any flights going forward. Anyone seeing different?

Type 'peak oil' into any search engine

You could check with a Consolidator. They require no advance purchase and I have found that they always beat the airlines price. If you wish, PM me and I will give you one in SFO that I have used.

Can you still accrue FF miles with a consolidator?

I am already book I paid 1,100 but what I wantto known is when is the best time to book my holtet room.I will be in bbk 1/17 till 1/31 I need some input.I am leaven bwi on thurday 9:05 to san fransco to bbk also I am a african american I known that a lot of us don't go to thailand I love the asian people way of life I am just looking forward to hang out in bbk & pattaya this is my first time going to los I have been doing my reseach joined all the forums trying to get all the information I can the trip has been 2yrs in the making last yr I was in mexico but thailand stay on my mind do you all think that my skin color will be a problem I am not really wary about that I get along with everybody I just thought I would throw that out there. I can't wait to get there . ;)

Book your hotel now for BKK as this is the busiest time of the high season. Excellent hotel I've stayed at and is in the middle of all the action www.majesticsuites.com

Only downside to being black, you guys have a 'rep' for having a huge dick. BG might want to see it before you pay bar. Years ago I saw this happen. Guy was a little upset at the BG hesitation until he realized why she hesitated. She made him pull it out.

Edited by BigDUSA
Can you still accrue FF miles with a consolidator?

It might vary depending on the airline your with, you should give them a call to make sure. When you purcahse an economy ticket they have different types within economy. United has a y, b, m, e, u, h, q, v, w, s, t, l, and k fares. Find out what code is on the ticket that your going to buy and make sure that your airline will give you credit for that fare unless they accept all codes. Some airlines might only give you say 50% of the miles flown for the discounted fares.

Summer months are always higher in the states as schools are out and families travel, plus you have all the Asian college students heading home. This is the time that I use my miles to travel free.

Emil - IMHO - has in correct here in my opinion on airfares, though recently EVA has been cutting back on the number of routes flown NY to BKK which has the effect of raising prices. Not sure about other airlines as EVA Deluxe seats are my travel of choice - at least so far.

But BigDUSA has it right - IMHO -as far as skin color and any problems you might have.

Only downside to being black, you guys have a 'rep' for having a huge dick. BG might want to see it before you pay bar. Years ago I saw this happen. Guy was a little upset at the BG hesitation until he realized why she hesitated. She made him pull it out.

If they are sore the next day - they can't make any money. :cry2

Edited by drpaul854

FYI:

I tried to use my FF miles to go from NYC to MNL 12-12-07 - 01/01/08 on American.

NOTHING - all sold out. Not even close. I can get there but can't get back. So for those looking to use miles around holidays make sure you book at the 330 day out water mark when the seats first show.

Ended up paying $1477 for my ticket going out of Hartford through Chiciago- NRT- MNL forever route.

I looked and looked but only saw marginal savings in the 1300 range out of EWR so just payed the piper.

So the higher rates are for real at least around holidays

FYI:

I tried to use my FF miles to go from NYC to MNL 12-12-07 - 01/01/08 on American.

NOTHING - all sold out. Not even close. I can get there but can't get back. So for those looking to use miles around holidays make sure you book at the 330 day out water mark when the seats first show.

Ended up paying $1477 for my ticket going out of Hartford through Chiciago- NRT- MNL forever route.

I looked and looked but only saw marginal savings in the 1300 range out of EWR so just payed the piper.

So the higher rates are for real at least around holidays

Within the states I don't doubt the problem. International flights haven't been a problem for me on United, in fact I'm able to get the saver seats which only require 60k miles which they only have a limited number of seats available on each flight instead of the 90K seats. However I don't book online as that only allows you to fly on United Airlines flights. I pay the $15 fee and talk to a reservation agent who has access to all the Star Alliance flights.

Guest Fatboyfat

Seems to me that you are being stung with the fuel surcharges that all of thes airlines are charging now. (In th UK EVA rival British Airways as one of the biggest rip-off merchants regarding these add-ons. None of them are reducing the charge when fuel prices drop either). From the UK now, nearly one third of the cattle class fare is made up of fuel surchages and airport duties. I would imagine fuel surcharges from States to Thailand would be double that of UK working on distances involved.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Prices are dropping on United. A couple of weeks ago cheapest from my city was $1800. Now I see flights later in August for $1100.

I am flying on frequent flyer miles. Will arrive August 15th. :clueless

Hound

Yes, Memorial Day to Labor Day is historically the most expensive time to fly out of the USA.

I just checked on Sidestep and the SFO to BKK round trips are down to:

PAL: $903

ANA & JAL: $1038

China Airlines: $1044

United: $1098

Northwest: $1197

That was September 4th returning September 25th.

Good time of year to fly from the USA is the fall before the holidays.

~Sa-teef

As an after thought, the THAI non-stop from LAX to BKK is down to $1187 for that same time slot.

That might be worth considering for someone.....?

Edited by Sa-teef