Instructions on joining the Members Only Forum

Extension of stay for retirement.

Just want to confirm information posted in the past. Last year was my first time for a retirement extension and I paid a visa service to do it for me. Today was the time to roll it over for another year and I chose to do it myself this time. Had no problems, got it done in one day.

1. Went to the photo shop on the second floor of BigC Second road a few days ago. Got 5 photos about the right size. Immigration says 4x6 cm , they gave me 4x5.5. Worked fine, used one today, have 4 left for next year. Cost 200 baht.

2. Went to Bangkok Bank 0830 this morning for the bank letter. Cost 100 baht.

3. Went to the copy shop to the left of Jomtien Immigration Soi 5 about 0915. He needed the original of my Embassy Letter, the bank letter, my filled out TM.7 form, one of my photos, my passport, and my bank book. He copied what Immigration needs copied, attached my photo to the TM.7 form, stapled the package together, and gave me back my originals. Cost 30 baht. Ahead of time go to Jomtien Immigration. To your left are a couple of counters with blank forms. Find the TM.7 forms. Above them under glass is a sample filled out TM.7. Use it as a reference to fill out yours.

4. 0935 went into Immigration and took a number from the ticket spitter for desk 8 retirement. When my number came up desk 8 asked a few simple questions, stamped the package from the copy shop in a few places, had me sign them all, and sent me to desk 4.

5. Desk 4 relieved me of 1900 baht and sent me back to desk 8 who sent me to an un-numbered desk behind him.

6. The lady at this desk asked me a couple of questions (do you rent or own?) as she filled out a form, had me sign it, gave me a little plastic number, and told me to come back at 1500 for my passport.

7. Total time in Immigration an hour and ten minutes and I was out at 1045.

8. Came back at 1500 and as advertised my passport was ready at the lady's desk.

9. The whole process was stress-free, the people involved spoke good English and were pleasant.

10. Total cost 2200 baht.

That was my experience last year though I'm sure I was in and out quicker than that in the morning. The photocopy shop next to Immigration will take your photographs for you.

Remember to get your multiple re-entry permit before you next leave the country though. It's a painless procedure as well. Last year, I applied for mine the following day.

Alan

Remember to get your multiple re-entry permit before you next leave the country though.

Alan

Alan,

My English skills are sometimes somewhat substandard. Could you please elaborate on the quoted sentence ?

Thanks ….

Alan,

My English skills are sometimes somewhat substandard. Could you please elaborate on the quoted sentence ?

Thanks ….

Once you get a retirement pension, you MUST then get a re-entry permit if you want to leave Thailand for any reason during the validity period of your visa. If you don't get the permit, you will only be given 30 days when you come back into Thailand. In other words, your visa will no longer be valid.

You can get either a single entry permit for 1,000 baht or a multiple permit for 3,800 baht. So far, I've always obtained a multiple permit even though it would have been cheaper to apply for a permit each time I wanted to escape from Thailand for a few days..

Application forms are available from Immigration and the adjacent photocopying shop will take the copies and photographs required.

Alan

Roger,

I'll be getting mine renewed on my next trip. My only worry is the US Embassy letter that verified my pension. When I got my retirement visa last Sep I tried to give Jomtien Immigration a copy of that letter but they wanted the original. If they demand a new letter and won't except the copy that I kept or the letter I receive every Jan from the US government that show my new monthly pension then I'll have to make another trip to Bangkok and give them another $30 for me to tell them that the number I put on the form is true.

Save time and trouble and get a new embassy letter. They do want an original. Bring a copy with you for their records but you have to show them the original. I showed them the original from last year and they accepted it again. I don't know how many years you can use it but I know it is more than once and assume it is less than 20 times.

Save time and trouble and get a new embassy letter. They do want an original. Bring a copy with you for their records but you have to show them the original. I showed them the original from last year and they accepted it again. I don't know how many years you can use it but I know it is more than once and assume it is less than 20 times.

There is a very reliable but unconfirmed (to me) report that you have to take that letter to the Foreign Ministry consulate office way the hell and gone out on Chaeng Wattana in Bangkok and have it signed and officially copied by a clerk, whose job is making paper at 400 baht per customer.

That rule is already in effect for certain categories (under 50s for one) but will go in for everyone on retirement-with-income visas as of October. Again, please check but I consider the report reliable. I'm not on that kind of visa, so I can't confirm that way at least.

Someone might want to drop by Pattaya immigration and ask if it's true and if it applies in Pattaya, and if Pattaya folks have to go to Bangkok.

My plan is to go to Jomtien Immigration first and see if they will accept the copy along with the letter from the US Office of Personnel Management that shows my monthly pension. If not would the original be part of my application forms that I submitted last year be available for them to see? If all fails then I will head up to Bangkok as its not much effort to go to Jomtien and will only cost me an extra 20 baht to save on the trip to Bangkok and the cost to the US Embassy.

Guys how much pension do you need to qualify for a visa ?

I heard 50,000 baht can you confirm.

thanks

65,000 baht a month and on the US form it asks what is your monthly income, so interest, dividends, rental, and etc. all count. If your under the 65K, then they use an equation so that you would need less than the 800,000 in a Thai bank account tp qualify for the retirement visa.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget the in bank amount has to be there at least three months before you renew you retirement extension.

By the way can anyone confirm that the medical letter is no longer needed?

'fredcyber'

Don't forget the in bank amount has to be there at least three months before you renew you retirement extension.

By the way can anyone confirm that the medical letter is no longer needed?

The medical letter is no longer needed.

For what it's worth, I think that the USA consulate services officer makes a trip to Pattaya every so often. Any US citizen could get the letter from the embassy during one of those visits, so no trip to Bangkok would be necessary.

J

Heard from another boardmember that if you didn't go to the immigration office every 90 days that you can expect a hefty fine. I didn't because I leave LOS every 60 days and pass through airport immigration and on the arrival card they ask about current address in Thailand and was told by Jomtien Immigration that this was sufficient when I reported after the first 90 days. Anyone have any experience on this issue?

Heard from another boardmember that if you didn't go to the immigration office every 90 days that you can expect a hefty fine. I didn't because I leave LOS every 60 days and pass through airport immigration and on the arrival card they ask about current address in Thailand and was told by Jomtien Immigration that this was sufficient when I reported after the first 90 days. Anyone have any experience on this issue?

I was 2 weeks late with my 90 day reporting and a a result, was fined 2,000 baht AND had my passport stamped.

My understanding is the same as Emil's and that if you leave the country before your next due date, you don't need to report until 90 days after you return. I hope we are both correct here, because if not, I'll be 2 months late when I next report!

I was due to report at the end of June but because I last re-entered Thailand towards the end of May, I should not be due to report again until the end of August.

One point though, as far as I am aware, renewing your visa does NOT count as reporting your address.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
I was 2 weeks late with my 90 day reporting and a a result, was fined 2,000 baht AND had my passport stamped.

My understanding is the same as Emil's and that if you leave the country before your next due date, you don't need to report until 90 days after you return. I hope we are both correct here, because if not, I'll be 2 months late when I next report!

I was due to report at the end of June but because I last re-entered Thailand towards the end of May, I should not be due to report again until the end of August.

One point though, as far as I am aware, renewing your visa does NOT count as reporting your address.

Alan

Hmm, let us know how this works out, I had heard (second hand) that you still had to report. Perhaps a variation on implementation as TIT!
Hmm, let us know how this works out, I had heard (second hand) that you still had to report. Perhaps a variation on implementation as TIT!

If you leave Thailand before your signing date, it is due again 90 days after your re-entry stamp.

I normally leave the (out of date) stapled slip in my passport and report a couple of days early, never had a problem.

Your entry date and arrival card no. is on the TM47 form and the first thing they look at is your passport entry stamp.

Renewed my year extension last week and whilst waiting for my number, signed a week early.

On last years extension I was asked to sign the same day, about 3 weeks early.

Cheers,

mike.